Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
I'm going to be posting a few installments of my bear hunts this spring, so stay tuned because there's some good stuff coming (at least I think it's good).

My first bear hunt this year was April 16th -- a bit early but I was so anxious to get out especially with how frustrating work has been with all the restrictions this year.
Ended up being a "scouting trip" for bears as there really wasn't any green on the beach yet. I raced down (in my 7kt gillnetter) to one of my favorite spots after work with a buddy of mine who's never hunted bear.

We anchored and got my canoe to shore at about 7pm.
I generally like to be settled into my evening area by then, but that's the time we had.

Turns out I was right to have wanted to be on the beach sooner. We sat down, got out our binos, and immediately I saw my friend get excited. Unbeknownst to us, we had walked right in between two wolves that were trying to meet each other on the tide flat. About 200 yards on each side of us. The larger male was jet black and there was a smaller wolf (assuming female) that was a gray, brown, black brindle. They each wanted to come past us to get to the other but they both knew something was hinky. They would not sit still or stop moving. They barked at us. They howled at each other. At several points the female started to run away and I turned her around by whining and howling at her, to which she replied.

My buddy and I each tried to get closer to one of the wolves to get a shot, but they were too restless and moving around too much and too fast. They never let us get closer than 150 yards, and even then it was for a very short time. I couldn't justify taking a less than ideal shot, even on a nuisance predator.

In total we each got to watch these wolves interacting with us and with each other for a little over half an hour. Very cool experience.

No signs of bear that trip. We went back to my gillnetter and slept the night before jogging back into town the next morning.

Thankfully we had set two dungee pots on the way out, so we did come home with 12 dinner plate sized crab!

Part two coming soon.

Best,

Al

Last edited by 907brass; 05/21/21.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
My second hunt was April 30th. Same spot but a week later, so there was actually some green on the beach.
We sat on the beach all evening, and got to watch a brown bear sow in one corner of the tide flat for about two hours. This is a cool bear, and this is the fourth year in a row that I've seen her. The first year was with three tiny cubs, the second year with just two bigger cubs, and last spring with the same two cubs that were at that point soon-to-be kicked out. This year she was all alone, and looking notably more relaxed than she did any previous year looking after the cubs. I do have a brown bear tag, but knowing her for the past few years on top of also knowing she's a sow gets her a pass.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Spent the night in the boat. Everything in the woods was soaking wet, so when the sun finally came out the next morning and started to warm up the meadow area things started to steam a lot. At one point it got so I couldn't see past thirty yards the steam was so thick, and the air was thick breathing in.

Saw the brownie again, this time 25 yards away...we surprised each other while walking on a narrower stretch of beach going around a corner. She stared me down for several seconds and then yawned and went along her business. As if to say "I just woke up and don't have kids and I'm too tired to deal with this -- move along". This encounter probably would've ended differently any other year with her cubs around. I was a bit too anxious to take a picture at that point.

Did not see any other bear that weekend, and left for home. We did see a pod of orcas on the way back; first ones of the year.

Last edited by 907brass; 05/21/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for sharing. Keep em coming!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Shoot her boyfriend when he shows up in the next week.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cool thread. Please keep them coming.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Shoot her boyfriend when he shows up in the next week.

Don't think I won't! There's a big one in the area, but I've only seen him once and only briefly. Hoping to become better acquainted real soon.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Third hunt was a short one on May 16th-- I only had one evening so I hiked through a meadow system accessible by the road system in town. It was pissing rain in town but surprisingly gorgeous on my hike. Weird micro-climates in southeast AK.
The wind was at my back the entire hike out, so I walked about three miles skirting along the side of the meadows to not put my scent straight through the middle. On the way back the breeze was in my face so I was weaving through the middle and keeping an eye on everything.

There's a big section about half a mile long that in the past few years has become flooded by beavers, so I was wearing my waders the entire hike and sinking in to my knees all through the flooded section. Pain in the asz. I did see two of the beavers and man if I had been there a day earlier (still during trapping season) they would've come home with me. I do have my trapping license as well.

There was one patch of thick timber that I walked through. It ended up being really thick with brush on the exterior but opened up nicely in the center. There was a flood-stream running through the middle (thanks again to the f*in' beavers) and that's where I saw the only bear I'd see while on my hike that day:

Unfortunately I just thought it was a bit too old to be worth shooting, but still was really cool to find and examine the skeleton. As far as I could tell, the whole bear was there, however with it being in a washout I only found the one tooth. I took it to ADFG and got a seal for the skull it just in case.

I was just about back to the trailhead and it was past dark when I saw a young black bear. I got within 20yards, which was really cool, but I knew it wasn't a bear I wanted to invite to dinner.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Next hunt, May 19. Was actually sunny where we went!
Took my dad, brother, and a visiting relative. We turned into the inlet we'd be hunting in and I went down to idle speed in the skiff. Using the binos I spotted three bears on the beach almost immediately....waaaay back at the end of the tidal flat.
I could see the pronounced hump of one of them and knew it was a brownie, and assumed the one right next to it would be either a sibling or a large cub.
But 500 yards past them on the beach was a black blob lumbering through the grass.

It was really hard to keep the boat going slow and quiet knowing that black bear was feeding back towards the woods and away from us. We finally did get to the beach, and my dad and I hopped out to make the long (about a mile) stalk. My brother and our relative stayed with the skiff to make sure the tide didn't mess with it too much, and they had a nice vantage point to watch us with the spotter.

After getting up and around a little hill that for a few minutes obscured our view of the bears, we saw the brownies still there but no more black blob.
I hoped that all that had happened was that the black bear had turned the far end corner of the flats and was still in the grass.

Once we got better eyes on the brownies we realized it was indeed a sow with a soon-to-be-evicted cub. With the wind in our faces we had to make enough noise and be visually obvious enough to scare off the sow and cub, while being silent and stealthy enough to not frighten the black bear we hoped was still around the far corner.

From my brother's perspective:

From my perspective, about 60 yards away from the sow/cub:

Last edited by 907brass; 05/26/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
We eventually did get the brownies to run into the woods, and we passed by them unimpeded.

After 500 more yards of careful walking, we reached a small bluff that was hiding the 'around the corner' view of the flats.
I crept up to the top and peered over. At only about 50 yards away was the black bear! I looked as quickly but thoroughly as I could, and from what I could tell it was a decent boar.

It was my dad's turn to shoot. We crawled to the edge of the bluff where we could set up a sitting shot against my trekking pole. The wind was right, and all we had to do was wait for the bear to feed back into view. More easily said than done, but it finally happened. My dad lined up and shot. The bear dropped down for a couple seconds but then reeled up and was biting at the bullet. I told him "reload, shoot again!" but his rifle had jammed. Just as the bear ran back into the woods I shot another round into the boar. I couldn't tell you which shot was which, but one was liver and the other was lung.
The bear did not go far.

My dad's bear (he did not want his photo shared online):

I gutted the bear while my dad made the trek back to our skiff and grabbed the inflatable canoe. He walked it up the river while I dragged the bear down the river. We met up and floated out the rest of the way.

but the day was not done...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Looks like Limestone Inlet to me. Good job on getting one. I've got a bear cam set up at our cabin which is a bit south of there. Have not got a chance to check it since late April.

Always interesting when blacks and browns are in the same area at the same time.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job! I decided not to bear hunt this year, I didn’t want to be called a racist for shooting a brown or black bear! 😅 Just kidding on that part. My son is deployed and he usually helps me bait. I’ve got so many projects to do and with my upcoming surgery and the wife’s I figured I’d sit this year out. The good news, once these projects are done, including the remodel I’m paying someone to do, I’m wide open for caribou hunting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Hudge
Good job! I decided not to bear hunt this year, I didn’t want to be called a racist for shooting a brown or black bear! 😅 Just kidding on that part. My son is deployed and he usually helps me bait. I’ve got so many projects to do and with my upcoming surgery and the wife’s I figured I’d sit this year out. The good news, once these projects are done, including the remodel I’m paying someone to do, I’m wide open for caribou hunting.

I wish we could bait in the winter. So many things going on and to do in the spring. Tough to make the time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Sorry for all the installments here. I've been at work and I've been butchering.

So 2.5 hours after stepping onto the beach we had my dad's bear in the inflatable canoe and we paddled down the river towards our skiff anchored in the salt water. I absolutely love canoeing on rivers but I don't get much of a chance to do that in this part of the state. After the tension of the stalk, the shooting and tracking of the bear, dragging, gutting, etc. the raft riding silently down a calm river is the perfect experience. The brown bear sow and cub had come back out onto the grass -- they didn't mind at all when we floated by.

We were almost back to the boat when I noticed, in the opposite corner of the inlet from my dad's bear, there was a barrel shaped tree stump moving around the tree-line. As tired as I was I couldn't help but get a closer look. We turned the canoe around and paddled back into the inlet. We glided as close as we could get while still being hidden to the bear, and I stepped out of the canoe into the marshy bed of seaweed. Sneaking up the beach as quietly as I could, I turned the corner that would let me get a good look at this new bear. A nice boar, and a cinnamon color phase to boot. Okay -- time for this guy to come to dinner:

The nice thing is that at this point we had the canoe really close, so while I gutted the cinnamon boar my dad paddled the canoe to essentially right up to me. I couldn't help but notice, 700 yards farther away, a third black bear had just emerged...lucky for them we were all pretty spent at that point. We rolled it into the boat on top of the other bear and finished paddling back to our boat. Really impressed with the SOAR inflatable canyon canoe by the way, it had close to 800 pounds on board with us and the bears, and it still had good floatation and handled well. Rated to 875lbs I believe.

A fast skiff ride home on an abnormally calm night, and a couple hours of skinning and quartering!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nicely done and well told. Thanks for taking us along.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done, congratulations!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That cinnamon one is very nice. Outstanding field photo. Quite a few of them on the mainland down that way.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great looking bear.yeah thanks for taking us along mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
But wait, there's MORE!

Went out in my skiff one more time for black bear, again south of Juneau. We left Douglas harbor at about 6:30pm and after we got out of Gastineau channel it was not nice weather to be on a skiff. It wasn't raining but there was a good build up of waves in Taku inlet, down past Grand Island, and the backside of Douglas. Typical, plus swirling currents didn't help anything.
It wasn't unsafe, but it was uncomfortable. Glassing was a difficult task from the boat. Our hunt ended up following as many leeward paths as possible to keep in a bit calmer seas. We made it into two inlets I wanted to get out and hike through, but the wind/waves were not conducive to being able to safely get to shore and securely leave the boat anchored.

So we soldiered on, looking for just about any stretch of beach that could watch that would be safely accessible if a bear came out.
We finally did see what we were looking for, a big black blob moving down the beach about 3/4 mile away. We were already going slow due to the waves so we turned toward the beach so we could plan a stalk. It looked like a medium bear. Not super exciting but we still wanted a closer look to make sure.
Unfortunately as we got closer we were able to make out a small skiff against the rocks a couple hundred yards away from the bear -- very well camouflaged against the grey cliffy beaches in the fading light. We were still probably 500 yards off the beach, but turned off the engine so we would have the least chance of messing up a stalk for whatever hunter was on the beach. I did finally spot the hunter and he was probably 50 yards away from the bear. I thought I'd hear a shot, but they either decided not to take it and made themselves known, or maybe he shot it with a bow. Never heard a shot and it was too hard to see exactly what happened from that distance, but the bear suddenly bolted into the woods. We had been watching that bear for several minutes, we were downwind and drifting with the engine, so I'm pretty confident it was not us that startled the bear.
Always cool to see a bear, and I hope whoever that hunter was had success either with that bear or another very soon.

We continued and finally found a promising corner that we could walk into. It was now 8:40pm. Short on time we didn't want to anchor, and it was almost exactly high tide so we didn't want to beach the skiff unattended -- too heavy to move if high and dry. My dad decided to stay with the boat, allowing me to walk up the narrow creek with grass on either side.

This creek pretty turns a sharp corner after only about 50 yards and continues out of sight of my dad and the skiff. Wind was perfectly right in my face. This is a gnarly ice field valley and it was not warm. The farther I walked the shorter the grass got, and eventually it was replaced by snow. I did surprise a porcupine by getting 6 feet away from him. He was munching the grass too loudly and too close to the flowing creek so he didn't hear me. I kept my 'social distance' haha but when he finally noticed me he had a hilarious "I've f*ed up" face. Probably the fastest waddle I've ever seen from a porcupine.

Eventually the banks of the creek got too brushy to see and the snow was getting pretty deep. I had walked about half a mile up this creek bank. I turned around and started back to the boat. Unexpectedly, I had not taken 10 steps when I looked far down the creek and noticed a grey shadow walking along in the grass. I ranged it at 520 yards away. It took a few seconds to register what I was seeing, but then it clicked -- that's a bear -- that's a GLACIER bear -- that's a NICE glacier bear.

I now had the wind right at my back and I knew that it would only be a matter of time before I would be winded and lose the opportunity on this nice boar.
So I did the only thing I could think to do to lesson my scent signature, I hitched up my chest waders and jumped into the creek!

I was up to my waist, but now the only thing above the bank was my head. The bear would put his head down to grab some grass and I would walk down through the water. He'd lift his head to sniff the air and I'd duck down close to the water. I saw a spot that I could easily get out of the creek that would be about 100 yards from this bear and have a nice rock to rest my rifle on. I kept playing 'red light green light' with this bear until amazingly I was 100 yards away without it knowing something was wrong.

However moments after as I rolled up and out of the creek I could see that the bear was a little bit more wary. I wasn't going to make it to the rock. I crouched low to the ground and stuck my trekking pole into the ground to act as a mono-pod. As I got the bear in my scope he was already looking right at me sniffing the air. I though to myself, "as soon as he turns he's bolting". So as he turned to the woods I took my quartering toward me shot. He turned around once to bite at the bullet and then continued into the fringe. As my ears rang I listened as well as I could, and I could hear the bear raking through the brush. Then it stopped! He had made it about 50 yards into the alders.

I gutted it where it lay, and dragged it back to the beach to get a picture. My dad had heard the shot, anchored the skiff, and was walking the inflatable canoe up the creek. As simple as rolling the bear into the canoe and floating it down the creek, we were back at the boat.

Only thing left was an uncomfortable ride back to Juneau in mostly dark and high winds. But I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Totally worth it, and I am so blessed.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
I will post pictures of the rinsed and clean hides of the cinnamon and glacier before I drop them off with the taxidermist.

I'm tagged out on the black bears, so unless I see a super nice brownie boar, I think I'm done for the spring. Thank you for reading and I hope you all enjoyed the stories.

Best,

Al

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WELL DONE!!! Congrats to both you and your dad. It's awesome that you get to make those memories together.

I really like those Pro Pioneer inflatable canoes. Fun and very capable boats.

Last edited by JimInAK; 05/26/21. Reason: spelling
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Was a "great" read.....thanks. What a unique trophy the "Grey Ghost", Congratulations.

The famous, "Grey Ghost, of Cinched Wader Creek".

Last edited by AGL4now; 05/26/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome hunts !

Congrats.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done!! Congrats on a very successful bear season.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A glacier bear AND cinnamon bear in the same year - not sure I've ever heard of that done before - pretty awesome. I've never seen a glacier bear south of town - a few north of town.

Bummer about the taxidermy bill . . . smirk

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

A glacier bear AND cinnamon bear in the same year - not sure I've ever heard of that done before - pretty awesome. I've never seen a glacier bear south of town - a few north of town.

Bummer about the taxidermy bill . . . smirk

Heeey what else is an emergency fund for?!?

Last edited by 907brass; 05/27/21.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Outstanding!!!!! What caliber rifle??

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well done, Al!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I usually have brown and black bear tags with me for a mainland hunt, so I use a .300WSM with 180gr GMX bullets. If I was only targeting black bear I'd probably go a little smaller.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 907brass
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I usually have brown and black bear tags with me for a mainland hunt, so I use a .300WSM with 180gr GMX bullets. If I was only targeting black bear I'd probably go a little smaller.

Bet that knocks the snot outta them!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done again! That glacier bear is awesome!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Hudge

I wish we could bait in the winter. So many things going on and to do in the spring. Tough to make the time.

At least allow baiting in September and October maybe. The few times I’ve baited here, I haven’t gotten black bears until late in the season. I know in 2018, the last day of the season I had a nice blacky on it. I was at work though. When I went and pulled my barrel that evening and saw the pics, I wasn’t too happy.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
The cinnamon bear:

Not as long as the glacier, but fatter.

Last edited by 907brass; 05/27/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
The Glacier Bear:

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great read! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
awesome

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for your well told story and pictures. Those bears look like they'll make very handsome mounts/rugs.

Congratulations.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Awesome story and sharing it with your family makes it even better. I’ve never seen or heard of a glacier bear. That’s definitely on the bucket list.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Sorry for all the installments here. I've been at work and I've been butchering.

So 2.5 hours after stepping onto the beach we had my dad's bear in the inflatable canoe and we paddled down the river towards our skiff anchored in the salt water. I absolutely love canoeing on rivers but I don't get much of a chance to do that in this part of the state. After the tension of the stalk, the shooting and tracking of the bear, dragging, gutting, etc. the raft riding silently down a calm river is the perfect experience. The brown bear sow and cub had come back out onto the grass -- they didn't mind at all when we floated by.

We were almost back to the boat when I noticed, in the opposite corner of the inlet from my dad's bear, there was a barrel shaped tree stump moving around the tree-line. As tired as I was I couldn't help but get a closer look. We turned the canoe around and paddled back into the inlet. We glided as close as we could get while still being hidden to the bear, and I stepped out of the canoe into the marshy bed of seaweed. Sneaking up the beach as quietly as I could, I turned the corner that would let me get a good look at this new bear. A nice boar, and a cinnamon color phase to boot. Okay -- time for this guy to come to dinner:

The nice thing is that at this point we had the canoe really close, so while I gutted the cinnamon boar my dad paddled the canoe to essentially right up to me. I couldn't help but notice, 700 yards farther away, a third black bear had just emerged...lucky for them we were all pretty spent at that point. We rolled it into the boat on top of the other bear and finished paddling back to our boat. Really impressed with the SOAR inflatable canyon canoe by the way, it had close to 800 pounds on board with us and the bears, and it still had good floatation and handled well. Rated to 875lbs I believe.

A fast skiff ride home on an abnormally calm night, and a couple hours of skinning and quartering!

I'm stopping at this point because I have obligations but will pick the rest up later. Great thread so far!!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular

It sure does! What i like about the monolithic bullet is that the exit wound is usually only quarter sized (provided I've missed the shoulder), but the penetration and hydrostatic shock is just incredible.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

but the penetration and hydrostatic shock is just incredible.

That’s what she said..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
WOW!!!!!
Great read
Buy a lotto ticket
You’re on a roll
That glacial bear is sweeeeeeeet

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congrats man, nice work!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats on the blue one that is incredible....I am happy for you. Good job.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You might as well quit bear hunting. It ain't never gonna get better than this year! Nicely done.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hunter4623
I’ve never seen or heard of a glacier bear.

I haven't either. Definitely made this thread worth coming back to! (not that it wasn't anyway, of course)

Congratulations on some dandy trophies, young man!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i'm not a bear guy

but that's frickin sweet to get a glacier bear!!

good onya

job well done

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But wait, there's MORE!

Went out in my skiff one more time for black bear, again south of Juneau. We left Douglas harbor at about 6:30pm and after we got out of Gastineau channel it was not nice weather to be on a skiff. It wasn't raining but there was a good build up of waves in Taku inlet, down past Grand Island, and the backside of Douglas. Typical, plus swirling currents didn't help anything.
It wasn't unsafe, but it was uncomfortable. Glassing was a difficult task from the boat. Our hunt ended up following as many leeward paths as possible to keep in a bit calmer seas. We made it into two inlets I wanted to get out and hike through, but the wind/waves were not conducive to being able to safely get to shore and securely leave the boat anchored.

So we soldiered on, looking for just about any stretch of beach that could watch that would be safely accessible if a bear came out.
We finally did see what we were looking for, a big black blob moving down the beach about 3/4 mile away. We were already going slow due to the waves so we turned toward the beach so we could plan a stalk. It looked like a medium bear. Not super exciting but we still wanted a closer look to make sure.
Unfortunately as we got closer we were able to make out a small skiff against the rocks a couple hundred yards away from the bear -- very well camouflaged against the grey cliffy beaches in the fading light. We were still probably 500 yards off the beach, but turned off the engine so we would have the least chance of messing up a stalk for whatever hunter was on the beach. I did finally spot the hunter and he was probably 50 yards away from the bear. I thought I'd hear a shot, but they either decided not to take it and made themselves known, or maybe he shot it with a bow. Never heard a shot and it was too hard to see exactly what happened from that distance, but the bear suddenly bolted into the woods. We had been watching that bear for several minutes, we were downwind and drifting with the engine, so I'm pretty confident it was not us that startled the bear.
Always cool to see a bear, and I hope whoever that hunter was had success either with that bear or another very soon.

We continued and finally found a promising corner that we could walk into. It was now 8:40pm. Short on time we didn't want to anchor, and it was almost exactly high tide so we didn't want to beach the skiff unattended -- too heavy to move if high and dry. My dad decided to stay with the boat, allowing me to walk up the narrow creek with grass on either side.

This creek pretty turns a sharp corner after only about 50 yards and continues out of sight of my dad and the skiff. Wind was perfectly right in my face. This is a gnarly ice field valley and it was not warm. The farther I walked the shorter the grass got, and eventually it was replaced by snow. I did surprise a porcupine by getting 6 feet away from him. He was munching the grass too loudly and too close to the flowing creek so he didn't hear me. I kept my 'social distance' haha but when he finally noticed me he had a hilarious "I've f*ed up" face. Probably the fastest waddle I've ever seen from a porcupine.

Eventually the banks of the creek got too brushy to see and the snow was getting pretty deep. I had walked about half a mile up this creek bank. I turned around and started back to the boat. Unexpectedly, I had not taken 10 steps when I looked far down the creek and noticed a grey shadow walking along in the grass. I ranged it at 520 yards away. It took a few seconds to register what I was seeing, but then it clicked -- that's a bear -- that's a GLACIER bear -- that's a NICE glacier bear.

I now had the wind right at my back and I knew that it would only be a matter of time before I would be winded and lose the opportunity on this nice boar.
So I did the only thing I could think to do to lesson my scent signature, I hitched up my chest waders and jumped into the creek!

I was up to my waist, but now the only thing above the bank was my head. The bear would put his head down to grab some grass and I would walk down through the water. He'd lift his head to sniff the air and I'd duck down close to the water. I saw a spot that I could easily get out of the creek that would be about 100 yards from this bear and have a nice rock to rest my rifle on. I kept playing 'red light green light' with this bear until amazingly I was 100 yards away without it knowing something was wrong.

However moments after as I rolled up and out of the creek I could see that the bear was a little bit more wary. I wasn't going to make it to the rock. I crouched low to the ground and stuck my trekking pole into the ground to act as a mono-pod. As I got the bear in my scope he was already looking right at me sniffing the air. I though to myself, "as soon as he turns he's bolting". So as he turned to the woods I took my quartering toward me shot. He turned around once to bite at the bullet and then continued into the fringe. As my ears rang I listened as well as I could, and I could hear the bear raking through the brush. Then it stopped! He had made it about 50 yards into the alders.

I gutted it where it lay, and dragged it back to the beach to get a picture. My dad had heard the shot, anchored the skiff, and was walking the inflatable canoe up the creek. As simple as rolling the bear into the canoe and floating it down the creek, we were back at the boat.

Only thing left was an uncomfortable ride back to Juneau in mostly dark and high winds. But I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Totally worth it, and I am so blessed.

That is totally awesome!!! I've seen a few but always where it's closed to hunting. I wonder haw many river rats unknowingly passed by that bear!!! (If I'm guessing the location correctly) Keep an eye on your six, I might just be following you out of the harbor! smile

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tkinak

That is totally awesome!!! I've seen a few but always where it's closed to hunting. I wonder haw many river rats unknowingly passed by that bear!!! (If I'm guessing the location correctly) Keep an eye on your six, I might just be following you out of the harbor! smile

All those river rats would've needed to do is walk up around the corner. But that would require coming down from being up on step and being loud, ha!
I gillnet in the area so I hear and see them whizzing by all summer.

Last edited by 907brass; 05/28/21.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Very nice and Congrats on the trophy bears!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm not much for bear hunting, having killed a half dozen or so blacks over the years for meat, mostly incidents to other activities, but I've always wanted a deep auburn cinnamon rug. Not enough to make a special effort tho.

That Glacier Bear was just added to the list.

You should put this on You-tube.

You deserve some hate mail! smile smile

Last edited by las; 05/28/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Confused
Campfire Regular
So what do y'all think I should do with the glacier bear?
I'm thinking taxidermy wise, but I'm open to recipes as well.
I've never had anything mounted or sewed before.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Whatever you do, be sure to send it to someone who knows what they’re doing. That glacier bear is not an animal for jo blow the part time garage taxidermist.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Suggest you (consider) contacting the managers of regional commercial airports, they may be up for paying the full cost of a full body mount, in a glass enclosure. In exchange for having it on display in the airport for a specific time period. (Generally twenty years).

We have some at the Anchorage International Airport.

Last edited by AGL4now; 05/30/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

House room and money not an issue, full body in habitat
Not a lot of space or money, rug with gold border.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tremendous story, pics and trophies. Delighted for you. That Glacier Bear is the Bomb 💣!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost like I was there. Thank you & congrats on some excellent trophies

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Full body mount on the blue one, no question!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That glacier bear is outstanding.

I've only ever hunted rat black bears in Ontario but that glacier bear and your stories could convince a guy to move...

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome hunts here!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
What an epic hunt! I’ve only seen photos of Glacier Bears and those were all certainly more black with a blue tint. Zero expertise here, but I’m thinking not only is it a nice sized bear, that coloration might be as rare as a hen’s tooth.

I certainly agree with a full body Mount, and the airport recommendation might just work. There would be a lot of drooling passengers!

Congrats!

Last edited by Akbob5; 12/27/21.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 63 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.