Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All i've ever used over the years has been a straight bodied spotter and I'm currently looking for a new one but they only offer it in the angled version. For those that use the angled spotters, do you have any issues using them having to look down all the time? I wondering about neck fatigue or cramping.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I actually have less neck fatigue with angled

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used a straight one for years and prefer them. A couple of years ago I bought an angled just because it was so reasonably priced and after using it I still prefer the straight bodied. With the straight one I can see a distant object and point the scope at it and usually find it with little fuss or searching. But with the angled one looking down and trying to find a distant object is a problem for me, it is just not natural to look down to try to find something that is directly in front of me.

To me the strong suit of the angled is for target shooting - it can be set next to the rifle and the eyepiece rotated so that it requires very little head movement to look through it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
I have used a straight one for years and prefer them. A couple of years ago I bought an angled just because it was so reasonably priced and after using it I still prefer the straight bodied. With the straight one I can see a distant object and point the scope at it and usually find it with little fuss or searching. But with the angled one looking down and trying to find a distant object is a problem for me, it is just not natural to look down to try to find something that is directly in front of me.

To me the strong suit of the angled is for target shooting - it can be set next to the rifle and the eyepiece rotated so that it requires very little head movement to look through it.

drover
This was another one of my concerns, glad to see that I'm not the only one.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Binos and riflescope are straight and easy to aquire targets. Deviating is just something for Murphy to mess with you. I tried a Swaro angled 65 spotter after much urging to change from my local dealer. Managed to get in on a decent ram but while trying to age him at close range could not get it pointed in the right direction for the brief time he gave me on one side. To say I was quite PO'd would be an understatement. I drove 3hrs back to the dealer and immediatly exchanged it for the straight model I wanted in the first place!! Happy ending, as I managed to locate the ram a few days later and determine he was legal and now he stares at me on the wall... Good for me bad for him...

If it moves shoot it again!!
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

drover
Correct. It's really handy for competition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only time I’ve ever found a straight scope preferable to an angled scope is in a vehicle window mount. Otherwise, angled for all the marbles.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

drover
This was another one of my concerns, glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Same here, have used both and much prefer straight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both and I guess I just got used to them over the years because neither one really bothers me. If I had to pick one style over the other I'd go with the angled. Nice thing about the angled is the previously mentioned ability to rotate the eyepiece for certain situations.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you are over 6 ft tall and plan on standing....angled

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I prefer straight for hunting or spotting targets for someone else, angled for prone spotting of my own targets.

Now that I've given up formal target shooting I only own a straight spotting scope.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tedthorn

You’ve got to be kidding.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by tedthorn

You’ve got to be kidding.

I am 6'4" and amazingly, I agree with Brad for about the first time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It seems the trend the last few years has been toward angled spotters, for me I just don't get it.
The angled is counterintuitive, if it's so great why not an angled rifle scope ????????

I was on a bighorn sheep hunt a couple years ago where more than one guide service was involved (aka: debacle), one of my coworkers had the new at the time Swarovski BTX. I fell in love with that spotter but just couldn't get past the angled. I could always find them faster with my straight. If Swarovski ever offered the BTX in a straight I would be the first in line

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On average, the guy with the angled spotter will be the one asking "where?" The straight spotter will have the target located long before the angled spotter. With brown bears and moose I often sit with multiple glassers looking at distant hillsides for many hours a day and just about every type and quality of glass gets used. Very few angled spotter users are very effective compared to the straight spotter users and a new critter spotted in a new direction/place usually turns into a major cluster for some.

Idahopro and another long-time hunting buddy have shown it can be done (and well), but they are the exception IME.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count me in as a straight guy.

However, the reasoning for it is as follows: My buddy had a straight Bushnell. That's what used initially. When I got my spotting scope, it was straight as well.

When I got the farm, I built a shooting bench that assumed a straight scope. I've been using it and the scope for 20 years.

I'm sure that, had Bob had an angled scope, I'd be shooting with one and never thought twice about it.

When I'm spotting game, I'm using astronomical binos.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have both and am 6'4". I like the straight when shooting from the bench. Outside of the range, I prefer the angled for all else.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I prefer angled by far

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
On average, the guy with the angled spotter will be the one asking "where?" The straight spotter will have the target located long before the angled spotter. With brown bears and moose I often sit with multiple glassers looking at distant hillsides for many hours a day and just about every type and quality of glass gets used. Very few angled spotter users are very effective compared to the straight spotter users and a new critter spotted in a new direction/place usually turns into a major cluster for some.

Idahopro and another long-time hunting buddy have shown it can be done (and well), but they are the exception IME.

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.

I agree it's not rocket science, but it's just a fact that it is easier and faster to find something you are looking at rather than looking away from...................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
754 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.