Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by jwp475

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.

I agree it's not rocket science, but it's just a fact that it is easier and faster to find something you are looking at rather than looking away from...................

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me and much more comfortable to use

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.

I agree it's not rocket science, but it's just a fact that it is easier and faster to find something you are looking at rather than looking away from...................

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me and much more comfortable to use

After hundreds of instances where others could not find a critter in their angled scope, yet immediately found it in a straight scope I have to see it the other way. I personally know of more than a few guys that bought angled and swapped to straight but none off the top of my head that went the other way.

I agree angled is more comfortable, and the way to go at the range, but the average guy glassimg and trying to find a specific animal is going to be far faster with a straight scope.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It seems the trend the last few years has been toward angled spotters, for me I just don't get it.
The angled is counterintuitive, if it's so great why not an angled rifle scope ????????

I was on a bighorn sheep hunt a couple years ago where more than one guide service was involved (aka: debacle), one of my coworkers had the new at the time Swarovski BTX. I fell in love with that spotter but just couldn't get past the angled. I could always find them faster with my straight. If Swarovski ever offered the BTX in a straight I would be the first in line

Angled outsells straight by a bunch. They probably get range time before hunting time and being able to point it at the target first and leave it there makes it seem reasonable.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
the straight vs angled debate makes sense to me on the straight being more intuitive like throwing a rifle up or binocs where the straight would reign supreme. but, since i only use mine for sighting in on a bench i prefer angled personally. i get the argument for both tho........
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
All i've ever used over the years has been a straight bodied spotter and I'm currently looking for a new one but they only offer it in the angled version. For those that use the angled spotters, do you have any issues using them having to look down all the time? I wondering about neck fatigue or cramping.

I have used both and I prefer the straight. I don't find it easy to find what I am looking for or comfortable to view with the angled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
On average, the guy with the angled spotter will be the one asking "where?" The straight spotter will have the target located long before the angled spotter. With brown bears and moose I often sit with multiple glassers looking at distant hillsides for many hours a day and just about every type and quality of glass gets used. Very few angled spotter users are very effective compared to the straight spotter users and a new critter spotted in a new direction/place usually turns into a major cluster for some.

Idahopro and another long-time hunting buddy have shown it can be done (and well), but they are the exception IME.
This is pretty much my situation as well along with the occasional sheep hunt. I'm pretty good at spotting game with the straight spotter and probably should stick with that as I ain't getting any younger. The main reason for the question was because I had found a spotter on sale that was only offered in the angled version at a very good price but as of now I am leaning heavily towards the straight spotter.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Have had both. Prefer angled. Here's my take on it,

Straight is a bit faster for a quick orientation on a distant point.

With a rotating angled eyepiece you can pan and tilt an enormous distance without the need to shift your tripod, or your position. Angled also allows a lower tripod, and easier uphill viewing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Angled for me and I have used both extensively.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by tedthorn
If you are over 6 ft tall and plan on standing....angled

You’ve got to be kidding.

I am 6'4" and amazingly, I agree with Brad for about the first time.

Then you must love to bend over.....
You ever do time?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both. I use an angled now but have been thinking about going straight (shut up you pervs).

It can be an issue to find a critter with an angled but a guy gets used to it and can get quick. I also spend maybe 1/100th of the time looking through it vs binos, so it taking longer to find a critter generally isn't an issue for me, and neither is neck fatigue.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ain’t no way you’d ever go straight.

I prefer straight. Use binos way more as well and straight makes switching much easier.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have both. I use an angled now but have been thinking about going straight (shut up you pervs).

It can be an issue to find a critter with an angled but a guy gets used to it and can get quick. I also spend maybe 1/100th of the time looking through it vs binos, so it taking longer to find a critter generally isn't an issue for me, and neither is neck fatigue.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Straight...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's quite a few optics in that photo. Where you there to keep an eye on the turbines? smile

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

At 6'4" I switched to angled spotters years ago and it is much better, if I was using it with a window mount I would get a straight body scope..

Ted
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad

You’ve got to be kidding.

I am 6'4" and amazingly, I agree with Brad for about the first time.

Then you must love to bend over.....
You ever do time?

Really? You seem to have the experience...

Use a real tripod and real men do not have to bend over.

While mentioning tripods... the head makes a HUGE difference in user-friendliness. From Doug I have gotten several different fluid-drive pan heads and the difference is incredible. SIRUI VH-10 is the bigger one I use now and really like it. I use the next size down in the same line for smaller scopes. I also have two different sizes of Manfroto pan heads and really like them just fine, but the SIRUI line is cheaper.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here is a link to the head I like best at Cameraland.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/sirui...0136-2997-00163ecd2826?variation=1967752

With the Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 Bino on this head it is incredible how effectively a mountain can be glassed!

https://vortexoptics.com/razor-uhd-18x56-binocular.html

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve owned and used both, and prefer angled. Most of my spotting scope use is in mountains hunting Stone sheep, goats, caribou and the angled for me is more versatile in body positioning and comfort. It can be a little trickier to get on target, but a non issue in my experience. For me the versatility easily outweighs any difference.
If I was in flat terrain all the time, then maybe the angled wouldn’t have the advantage of versatility and straight may be a better choice for me.

I will add that one disadvantage I see in angled for backpacking is in the shape. In a full backpack, I find it easier to pack an angled spotter with the eyepiece removed.
When hunting with partial pack load, it’s no issue.

Last edited by mod7rem; 05/21/21.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Straight for me quicker and easier especially if someone wants to look and moves it. Often you have one good look to determine if you go after game. Anxious to try out my Phone Scope adapter this year.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
I actually have less neck fatigue with angled

Same here.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.