24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
southern Missouri and northern Arkansas would be some areas to check out. Some decent areas in north-central Missouri also.

BP-B2

_
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
_
If food came out of a box i would die….. or become liberal. Either choice is is living death.

_
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
_
Or you could always eat mre for life….. aka anything north of the mason dixen….. your choice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Originally Posted by Brad
Montana is near the top, but I hate the cold.

Then why would you consider Montana?

Because it checks most of the other boxes! Mountains, Water, 2A, Enough civilization, Hunting, etc. It may just be too cold. and I'd have to be on the lookout for Conrad.
I said 'semi'-rural, meaning not being in the middle of a 50000 acre ranch, but not the insipid 'suburbs' either.
Budget $5-600
Tn's income tax is pretty attractive.
Don't know why holding a fish offends someone, and don't know why you'd ignore someone for it, but whatever.

I can’t see where I said anything about your fish - what’s up with the comment?

Anyway, based on you comments I don’t think Montana is for you - it’s snowing here at my house as I write this...

Happy_Camper made a comment about the fish. No idea why. You were just collateral damage.

You’re like Don Quixote... and that’s no compliment.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Montana is near the top, but I hate the cold.

Then why would you consider Montana?

Because it checks most of the other boxes! Mountains, Water, 2A, Enough civilization, Hunting, etc. It may just be too cold. and I'd have to be on the lookout for Conrad.
I said 'semi'-rural, meaning not being in the middle of a 50000 acre ranch, but not the insipid 'suburbs' either.
Budget $5-600
Tn's income tax is pretty attractive.
Don't know why holding a fish offends someone, and don't know why you'd ignore someone for it, but whatever.

I can’t see where I said anything about your fish - what’s up with the comment?

Anyway, based on you comments I don’t think Montana is for you - it’s snowing here at my house as I write this...

Happy_Camper made a comment about the fish. No idea why. You were just collateral damage.

You’re like Don Quixote... and that’s no compliment.

Ok Sancho

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m holding out a little longer. But I’m getting low on Black n Milds

Isn't that how you like yer wimmins?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Georgia has the best sweet tea, fried chicken and water melon, if that's your liking.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I'm a big fan of Southeast Montana.
Plenty rural, better weather, beautiful country!
Billings, Bridger Laurel area. Plenty to do. Great fishing and plenty of open land. Go east and south from there!
Western south Dakota?

he'd hate south dakota. nothing but flies and fleas out here. horrible cold cold weather year round and the hunting and fishing just sucks. all the pheasants were shot out years ago and the few mangy deer we have are small and hard to get tags for. Forget about politics, even our governor has plans to move way east in a few years. I wouldn't even bother wasting your time looking here......

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Montana is now the #1 destination for those escaping CA, OR and WA. They will bring their loony left politics w/them. Check out your Senator. Colleges there provide the commie seeds to infect the state.

And they have income tax and high other taxes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
I'm a big fan of Southeast Montana.
Plenty rural, better weather, beautiful country!
Billings, Bridger Laurel area. Plenty to do. Great fishing and plenty of open land. Go east and south from there!
Western south Dakota?

he'd hate south dakota. nothing but flies and fleas out here. horrible cold cold weather year round and the hunting and fishing just sucks. all the pheasants were shot out years ago and the few mangy deer we have are small and hard to get tags for. Forget about politics, even our governor has plans to move way east in a few years. I wouldn't even bother wasting your time looking here......

Haha...sarcasm suits you.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In all seriousness, Oklahoma is a solid red state, wonderful 2nd Amendment laws and is 96% privately owned so there will be lots of land to choose from. The SE is pine forests with gravel bottom rivers and the NW is the foothills of the Rockies. More miles of lake shoreline than the gulf of mexico and lots of hunting. Our tax burden is pretty low and there is a move on to lower it more.
Give us a look.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
6 years ago someone sent me a link to a 42 acre plot in Tennessee. Told the wife I was interested in it. She about blew a gasket and said no way in hell would she ever move there. We were living in Colorado Springs at the time and both of us HATED it. I slowly worked on the wife telling her the advantages of retiring in TN. About 6 months later she agreed to fly over with me and inspect the land. Before we finished walking half the property we both decided to buy it. We had a 1,000 sq ft workshop built then a house.
Trying to give you an idea of property taxes outside a city...................42 acres, custom brick home 2300 sq ft, 1 acre lake, 1,000 sq ft workshop...would estimate the value today at $450K for all of it. Our annual property tax bill is roughly $1300 a year. Our electricity costs from $85-150, usually higher in the summer due to AC. Natural gas runs $28-45. Water $30-45. We can access 75% of the population of the USA within a 1 days drive. Medical care is superb. UT one direction, Vanderbilt the other. Most neighbors are about as friendly as they can be and they dont get into your business.

No state income tax, but the big negative is sales tax which runs from 7.5 to 9.5%. In all fairness, if you dont make or spend a lot then you dont pay much in tax. Costs $29 a year to register any car or PU truck. No emission's testing or inspections required either. We do see snow a few times a year but its usually gone the next day. It can get hot in the summer but we live on the Cumberland Plateau so it helps cool us down a little.

We have no regrets about retiring here. Every new house that is being built within 5 miles of us belongs to people moving here from other states.

Get out and travel around. Everyone has their own idea of the "perfect place". One mans pleasure is another's poison.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow, you must have a slightly better county rate.

I write a check for right at $1800 a year in rural Montgomery Co.

And I think that’s too damn high.

License plates are $104 here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

$55 for my off road sticker here on the Kawi

What a deal !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
OSU_Sig: Oklahoma sounds great, but I'm a little confused by this statement:

"96% privately owned so there will be lots of land to choose from." - doesn't 96% privately owned land mean there's LITTLE to choose from when looking for a good hunting area?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by czech1022
OSU_Sig: Oklahoma sounds great, but I'm a little confused by this statement:

"96% privately owned so there will be lots of land to choose from." - doesn't 96% privately owned land mean there's LITTLE to choose from when looking for a good hunting area?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't know how I would live in a place like that.

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.