Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Straight for me.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've always used a straight, no plans to change as it seems I'm almost always sitting when using the spotter.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Always better to be straight than crooked

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by drover
I have used a straight one for years and prefer them. A couple of years ago I bought an angled just because it was so reasonably priced and after using it I still prefer the straight bodied. With the straight one I can see a distant object and point the scope at it and usually find it with little fuss or searching. But with the angled one looking down and trying to find a distant object is a problem for me, it is just not natural to look down to try to find something that is directly in front of me.

To me the strong suit of the angled is for target shooting - it can be set next to the rifle and the eyepiece rotated so that it requires very little head movement to look through it.

drover
This was another one of my concerns, glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Same here.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
On average, the guy with the angled spotter will be the one asking "where?" The straight spotter will have the target located long before the angled spotter. With brown bears and moose I often sit with multiple glassers looking at distant hillsides for many hours a day and just about every type and quality of glass gets used. Very few angled spotter users are very effective compared to the straight spotter users and a new critter spotted in a new direction/place usually turns into a major cluster for some.

Idahopro and another long-time hunting buddy have shown it can be done (and well), but they are the exception IME.

Well after the end of WW2 lots of very large binoculars began showing up in this country brought home by servicemen.
Mostly German and Jap, and many of them having angled eyepieces.
These were and still are awsome quality optics if in good clean condition.
But today myself and most others no longer use them for a variety of reasons.
The alternative is 2 spotting scopes in a machined fully adjustable bracket.
The scopes used regardless of brand are straight rather than angled because you just cant use the angled ones for that purpose.
As for a group hunting together, and the one using the angled being at a disadvantage, that would be because those doing the directing to a target are poor at doing it.
Regardless of scope used, one hunter should be able to walk the other to the target easily starting from a point both can plainly see.
Both types can have an advantage in some circumstances for long glassing sessions.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tried them both.

For me:

Angled for the range, straight for hunting.

Prefer straight for all around.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
On average, the guy with the angled spotter will be the one asking "where?" The straight spotter will have the target located long before the angled spotter. With brown bears and moose I often sit with multiple glassers looking at distant hillsides for many hours a day and just about every type and quality of glass gets used. Very few angled spotter users are very effective compared to the straight spotter users and a new critter spotted in a new direction/place usually turns into a major cluster for some.

Idahopro and another long-time hunting buddy have shown it can be done (and well), but they are the exception IME.

Well after the end of WW2 lots of very large binoculars began showing up in this country brought home by servicemen.
Mostly German and Jap, and many of them having angled eyepieces.
These were and still are awsome quality optics if in good clean condition.
But today myself and most others no longer use them for a variety of reasons.
The alternative is 2 spotting scopes in a machined fully adjustable bracket.
The scopes used regardless of brand are straight rather than angled because you just cant use the angled ones for that purpose.
As for a group hunting together, and the one using the angled being at a disadvantage, that would be because those doing the directing to a target are poor at doing it.
Regardless of scope used, one hunter should be able to walk the other to the target easily starting from a point both can plainly see.
Both types can have an advantage in some circumstances for long glassing sessions.

So you are suggesting most poor communicators use straight spotters? Or could it be most angled scope users are poor listeners? Or poor direction followers? How come the straight ones follow the same directions at the same time right to the spot? Angled spotters require different directions?
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by ribka
I actually have less neck fatigue with angled

Same here.

I agree, but it is possible to use them pain-free with a bit of extra messing around. I gladly give that up for the sake of speed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by boatanchor

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.

I agree it's not rocket science, but it's just a fact that it is easier and faster to find something you are looking at rather than looking away from...................

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me

It defies common sense, logic and reality.......... but you go boy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It only takes a bit of practice to lean to find game fast with an angled. It's not rocket science.

I agree it's not rocket science, but it's just a fact that it is easier and faster to find something you are looking at rather than looking away from...................

I would have agreed with you before I got my angled. Once I familiarized myself with the angled, I find it just as fast for me

It defies common sense, logic and reality.......... but you go boy

With an open peep sight on an angled spotter, let alone with some practice I find the inability to quickly get on a critter pretty much a moot point.

One thing a poster mentioned previously is that with angled spotters I always am wondering if I am torquing the eyepiece and damaging it when I have my pack cinched down real tight. That could certainly happen with a straight eyepiece too, so maybe it is just a mental thing on my part.

I dunno....

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.