Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16106988 05/22/21
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Back when I was quite young, and first became aware of different languages, I was sure that everyone thought in English,then translated it into a different language of choice before speaking. Likewise, upon hearing another language, they had to translate it into English in their head in order for it to make sense.
Now, sixty-some years later.... I'm still sure that I was right.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some can listen to Morse Code, and understand like a language.

Me, i learned how to understand Gus.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever language you dream in, that's your language.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dutch

Profanity it is then.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All babies cry in English.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago, my brother who was born and raised in TX, went somewhere in Mexico for a spell. He had taken Spanish in HS. He told me that when he started dreaming in Spanish, he knew he was fluent.

When I went back to school to get a master's degree, I was spending 8-12 hours a day studying Calculus and I started to dream about solving differential equations incessantly. Not sure if that meant I was 'fluent' in high-level calculus, but I can tell you it was horrific.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I have dreams on my college efforts, things are always going poorly. Like I forgot the class until my finals schedule was handed out.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Years ago, my brother who was born and raised in TX, went somewhere in Mexico for a spell. He had taken Spanish in HS. He told me that when he started dreaming in Spanish, he knew he was fluent.

When I went back to school to get a master's degree, I was spending 8-12 hours a day studying Calculus and I started to dream about solving differential equations incessantly. Not sure if that meant I was 'fluent' in high-level calculus, but I can tell you it was horrific.

Took three years of German in HS. Used to dream in that language every once in a while that. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
When I have dreams on my college efforts, things are always going poorly. Like I forgot the class until my finals schedule was handed out.

I had that dream over and over for years and years after college.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I had that happen with Supreme Court cases in a Constitutional Law class. I couldn't tell if I was asleep or awake.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to learn of this - same dumb thing has happened here. Although never got a bad grade or withdrew from a college course during the span of three degrees, I experienced that dream a bunch of times. It's late in the semester and I just realized I have - somehow - missed most or all of the classes/tests in some course. Sentiment horrible!

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Profanity it is then.

Hah! [bleep] aye!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I lived a version of this.

Freshman year, 1983, UC Santa Barbara, and I was deep into booze and hallucinogens. I stopped going to German class about 2 weeks before the final. I thought I knew German better than the instructor and I was getting wasted every night.

The finals schedule was published in the school paper, and I showed up to the location and time that was published, bluebook in hand.

I go in when the room opens and the proctors hand out the test booklet. They're in Russian.

I asked the proctor why the test is in Russian and he said "this is the Russian final. The German final was rescheduled to yesterday. It was announced in the last class."

I got an incomplete in a language I was fluent in.

(I ended up retaking the final and got an A, but that was the only grade above a C I got that year)

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd rather not dream at all.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still dream in a language other than English.

DLI graduate.

The best way to learn a language is to not translate in your head. Don't do the conversion. IMO.

I know people with real talent for languages and it's how they taught me to really get fluent quickly.

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I dated a Mexican woman who’s grandfather was born in California to a family who spoke English. They moved to Mexico when he was five and he learned to speak Spanish.

Way later in life, after moving to Canada, he became ill and went to hospital. While there he became delirious, and began babbling in Spanish. None of the doctors or nurses could understand him.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Married an air force brat who spent much of her life up to high school in Germany. Whole family is fluent , I learned enough German to understand what's happening and get my point across.

I am amazed how often I hear German being spoken in the USA

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

The best way to learn a language is to not translate in your head. Don't do the conversion. IMO.

I know people with real talent for languages and it's how they taught me to really get fluent quickly.

Give me two weeks, a lady that gets me going and doesn't speak any of the languages I speak, and I'll be conversational two weeks later.

Learning a language quickly is NOT hard. It takes two things: a strong motivation, and full immersion. Immersion meaning you ONLY speak, read and listen to the new language, without switching back to your native tongue to check with family, read email, call your girlfriend, whatever. If you do a complete switch, you'll speak the language in a matter of weeks.

I'm decent at languages (English, Dutch, French, German), but Spanish vexes me because I never went "all in". I use it every week with my customers, but because I only have used it a few phrases at a time, I've never gotten any better than what I absolutely need to complete a transaction.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Took three years of German in HS. Used to dream in that language every once in a while that. 😬

Banging Elke Somer? I had those same dreams in High School....

I took 6 levels of German in High School, I would think in German....

Now I only understand TV War Movie German.... Hande Hoch.... Schweinhund! Eine Beer Bitte!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would sometimes dream in Spanish and wake up frustrated when I got to words I didn't know. I did that a lot when taking Spanish in HS and college.
crazy

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.