Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Do any of you purposely hunt deer when you have both deer and elk tags? Especially a bull tag?

- Why would you hunt deer on purpose if you have an elk tag at the same time?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 05/23/21.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you hunting both, or not?...... Whichever one comes first, leaves the rest of the season to chouse the udder one....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, that.

But with one other thought. I hunt harder for the elk first because if you spook them
they may not be back in the area for weeks. MD will be there.
But when opportunity knocks........

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Are you hunting both, or not?...... Whichever one comes first, leaves the rest of the season to chouse the udder one....

I’ve hunted deer off and on all my life, no elk here. 99.5% of that deer hunting on the same land seeing the same trees, same bushes, sitting in a stand or next to a tree waiting for a deer to walk by. I’m bored of it. No elk in this part of the state and drawing a tag slim chance. I would elk hunt in Kentucky if I drew a tag sure but to me even then I would prefer the western elk hunting experience.
Always thought elk hunting would be a heck of a lot of fun plus I’ve ate elk meat a few times and it’s delicious.
If I saw a monster deer while elk hunting I might shoot it but other than that I can’t think of why i would want to deer hunt on purpose with an elk tag in my pocket. Maybe it’s just me.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago,we would have deer tag in our pocket and maybe shoot one on the way back to camp, but when I am hunting elk,I am hunting elk.With today's short season I would not want o take a day out of elk hunting to pack a deer out.Elk are hard enough to find anyway

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Years ago,we would have deer tag in our pocket and maybe shoot one on the way back to camp, but when I am hunting elk,I am hunting elk.With today's short season I would not want o take a day out of elk hunting to pack a deer out.Elk are hard enough to find anyway

How big would a deer have to be for you to shoot it while elk hunting?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
How big would a deer have to be for you to shoot it while elk hunting?

We shot any that were legal on the way back to camp which might have been 1/2 way from the elk hunting area.(2-3 miles) Out elk hunting I let quite a few bigger ones go. It could be a B&C, but if I am after elk, I let them walk. Big deer never interested me much. I can shoot bigger deer in my back yard than I see in elk country .When I do shoot them they are just added meat in the freezer

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting.. I would take a big deer over any elk I have ever seen.. I am just the reverse, elk are just meat, and not even close my favorite.. Today, I still love hunting deer, elk I can take it or leave it.. Last year I had two licenses.. Maybe hunted one day.. But other events were much of the problem.. But still I only hunt elk when there is nothing else to do..

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Interesting.. I would take a big deer over any elk I have ever seen.. I am just the reverse, elk are just meat, and not even close my favorite.. Today, I still love hunting deer, elk I can take it or leave it.. Last year I had two licenses.. Maybe hunted one day.. But other events were much of the problem.. But still I only hunt elk when there is nothing else to do..

Just curious why does deer turn your crank so much over elk hunting?

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was growing up in CO I carried a deer tag, an elk tag and a bear tag. I hunted hardest for elk but would take the deer if it was a good one or was really close to the road. Bear on the other hand got top billing if I saw one. I was a CO resident for 52 years and I killed a lot of mulies and elk but only shot 2 bear. When the opportunity presented itself I went for the bruin and forgot all about elk and deer.

Tags were a lot easier to get back then and unless I wanted doe or cow tags I could buy OTC buck, bear and bull tags. Those days are gone.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I only deer hunt when elk and antelope tags are rendered useless ,by either the season or being filled. That being said if I happen upon a mule deer while looking for antelope, I am then deer hunting. Usually from my experience if you hunt for both together, you find yourself in a place between desirable spots for either..........

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I only deer hunt when elk and antelope tags are rendered useless ,by either the season or being filled. That being said if I happen upon a mule deer while looking for antelope, I am then deer hunting. Usually from my experience if you hunt for both together, you find yourself in a place between desirable spots for either..........

About the same here.

I really like to chase elk in the rut which is one reason I hunt in ML season.Something about a bull screaming that sets the hair on my neck up

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/23/21.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by wyoming260

About the same here.

I really like to chase elk in the rut which is one reason I hunt in ML season.Something about a bull screaming that sets the hair on my neck up

I’ve never hunted elk and that bugling excites me just watching it on tv and YouTube’s.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I've hunted deer and elk at the same time. Also hunted bear and elk at the same time.

Time off work comes at a premium with an abrupt end all too soon. Same as animals on public land being pressed by abundant hunters.

In 18 years or so. Having an extra tag only put meat in the freezer from an alternate species twice.

Quite a few years I only put in for elk, opting to forego the deer tag. More meat, and I saw more elk generally in that area than deer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me , I’ve not found prime areas to overlap very often. I’d always hunt Elk first then move to deer either after your tag is filled or by sheer luck. Elk tastes better anyhow.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not an issue for me in WA since rifle deer and elk don’t generally overlap. In CO, if I’m fortunate to have both tags I hunt elk primarily until that tag is filled unless a wall hanger happens by. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here, deer season opens 5 days before elk so by the time elk season opens, they're either used to the shooting or they're gone entirely. One more shot isn't going to scare them any more than they already are.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where I live, I hunt deer, elk, and antelope on the same day if I hadn't already gotten my antelope. Of course I would never try for all three on the same day!
I usually fit in some Sharptails and Huns though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big mulies are very difficult to get. If you see a big one on a ridge 1/2 mile away, you'd better be out of sight. If he sees you, even at that distance, he's gone. Shooting an elk will likely scare the deer more than vice versa.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Big mule deer are super smart.. Big elk also, but I give a big mulie the most credit.. I just love them.. Elk are just meat and not close to my favorite..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,868
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.