Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a party of 4 that has accumulated a few points and I"m trying to decide what units to look into. Is there a resource that would make this process easier? I would also like to get my son a doe tag and looking for that info too. I'm asking for a resource and not asking for anyone's favorite spots. Just looking for the best way to begin this process.

Thanks

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
goHunt has the tools you’d find helpful

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Quite frankly the WQG&F Hunt Planner ha all the info right there. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Map
Pull up the pronghorn map
From the top right part of the blue drop down menu click on the four squares and set the base map to topography map and hit the x to close
Click on any area and it will show the season in a box
Click on More info at bottom of that popup box and all kinds of info will popup on left of map

The Hunt Planner map will show public lands on it and should show all the public access on private via HMAs, Walk in areas and WHMAs. Just click them and it tells what is available to hunt on that spot.

Just draw odds by area are shown here for last year, expect it to take 1 more PP than last year to draw an area, https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2020-Drawing-Odds

The Special draw is more expensive and usually better odds for the same tags as the regular draw.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
But hurry, Application period ends week from Monday

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
But hurry, Application period ends week from Monday

Oh I know it, seems like it snuck up on me though

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antelope tags have been reduced this year-----Good luck on the draw.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wytex
Quite frankly the WQG&F Hunt Planner ha all the info right there. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Map
From the top right part of the blue drop down menu click on the four squares and set the base map to topography map and hit the x to close
Click on More info at bottom of that popup box and all kinds of info will popup on left of map

The Hunt Planner map will show public lands on it and should show all the public access on private via HMAs, Walk in areas and WHMAs. Just click them and it tells what is available to hunt on that spot.

Just draw odds by area are shown here for last year, expect it to take 1 more PP than last year to draw an area, https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2020-Drawing-Odds

The Special draw is more expensive and usually better odds for the same tags as the regular draw.

Good luck with that POS website WG&F runs- something out of 1989 would be more efficient....

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The best way to learn a unit is to go hunt it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Region6

True, but you have to pick one to go hunt first. Antelope units are very varied.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Originally Posted by Region6

True, but you have to pick one to go hunt first. Antelope units are very varied.

Varied yes, if a guy wants a trophy wait the 10 years +/- to draw, looking for experience pick a unit with lots of public land and high number of tags.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Spoke with a couple biologists and got the impression it might not be a bad idea to forgo this year because of tag cuts and build more points. I’m on the fence, talking with my hunting partners and weighing the pros and cons

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
If you don't like Wyoming, we would be happy if you hunted somewhere else.. Best of luck!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck with waiting for points. I am too old to wait and a Pronghorn is on my bucket list.

I am going with an outfitter and applied for a Type 2 tag. I know Pronghorn is a good DIY hunt, but I don't care. Food and lodging will be a nice change. Never did an outfitter hunt.

Headed to WY this Fall for my first out West hunt!

Good luck to all that apply

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Sako, good luck.. You will have a good time I hope, and as age gets to us help in the field and a nice camp and good food is a enjoyable experience.. Shoot straight..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

Good luck with that POS website WG&F runs- something out of 1989 would be more efficient....

You couldn't be more wrong, but hey if it keeps you from applying.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good luck Sako and don't shoot the 1st decent buck you see, outfitters are well known for filling tags on 12 inch bucks. make sure they know you want a mature buck.

Trophies can come out of any area in Wyoming, not just the high PP areas.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I always had good luck calling F&G in Cheyenne..then the local warden in that area. Always good info from both.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get on website and spend some time looking at units, available land and draw odds.

Whatever it says the odds are expect it to take more points than last year. Then spend lots of time looking at maps to find what you want.

There's no really a short cut. Just lots of reading. It's a fun hunt.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck Sako and don't shoot the 1st decent buck you see, outfitters are well known for filling tags on 12 inch bucks. make sure they know you want a mature buck.

Trophies can come out of any area in Wyoming, not just the high PP areas.

I hunted with that same outfitter, first time out our guide wouldn't let us shoot a 12 inch one, said if we insist later we can find them all over the place :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.