I've had both done and I prefer the wrist to the groin

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Heart cath was through the wrist. Had a cardiac cath/ablation procedure a few weeks later and it was through the groin because they have to feed several leads to the heart. No problems with either; you’re sedated so you’ll wake up after a short nap. Same deal about keeping the direct pressure on the incisions.

IIRC after the ablation procedure they had some kind of device to keep you from moving your leg until they were sure there was no bleeding.

I've had five heart caths, the last four have been done under conscious sedation. Been able to watch the procedure being done if the monitors are angled in the right direction, I remember hearing the cardiologist calling out the different tips he was using to thread though some tight spots. I came out of the sedation just before doc was finished during my last cath three weeks ago. Even though I didn't move or say a word I heard doc call out the nurse's name rather abruptly, she raced over to the IV bag and seconds later my arm got rather warm. Back to my happy place I went... grin
I had no sedation with mine. Just novacaine at the incision site.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Had both sides of my heart cath'ed 2019 during same procedure. One thru the wrist. And, IIRC, the other thru neck. No issues either way.

There neck was a right heart Cath to check pressures in the pulmonary artery. It's venous, not arterial

You appear to be in the business. All I know is everything came back clear except one 30% blockage which my cardiologist said "something to watch" but not something to worry about.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You can bleed out in a hurry thru the groin if the plug doesn’t hold

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hell, if I ever have to get it done they will have to kill me and try to wake me up afterwards. The gas guy will have stories to tell his grandkids about how he saved me

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkmtb
You can bleed out in a hurry thru the groin if the plug doesn’t hold

And you get compartment syndrome rather fast if the wrist bleeds internally.

There are pluses to both. There are drawbacks to both. If everything goes well, and you don't need an intervention that is incompatible with radial access, most people prefer the wrist.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I had one through the wrist. No issues at all. On the plus side if you were to spring a leak it would be easier to plug it before you bleed out.

That was my main concern since I am in the mountains and 30 miles from the nearest medical facility and it would be easier to control a leak on the wrist than the groin if needed. Dr. says I have Angina and wants to go in to see or find a blockage, it sucks to get old.

It sounds high risk.
It's a shame that they have no cure.

I cured my patient.
Fortunately, he recovered 100%.
Not bragging...just blessed.
Maybe my results will be an encouragement to others here.

You cure coronary artery disease now?

🤣

And is advisor to captains of industry, senior cops, snipers and apparently biblical scholars. Yet has yet to mention job, education or background I know I am convinced that he is the real deal. The slappy hamster may be the king of the internets.

LOL, amen

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I'm not telling anyone else what to do, but will give the short of how my patient was cured of intermittent angina.

No heart catheters or other risky diagnostics were utilized.

The only meds he was to take were therapeutic doses of specific foods and medicinal spices which naturally thin blood, prevent undue clotting, and reduce inflammation.
Immediately he was taken off of sugars and high glycemic carbs. Stevia was used as a sweetener as were fruits.
A list of inflammatory foods were removed from the diet.
Water intake increased. No soft drinks allowed.
My particular version of a keto diet was used.
Magnesium was supplemented orally.
Magnesium chloride was topically applied to the chest.
He walked wherever it was a reasonable distance for travel. Pace increased with ability.

Angina corrected the first week + and the protocol has continued with a 25 pound reduction in bw.

With the Lord's help, the patient is cured and free of abnormal cardiac limitations.

I hope that everyone here regains optimal health with good results likewise, no matter what choices are made.

LMFAO

You are one delusional mother fûcker !

You should see a gynecologist, stat, to get your head removed from your vagina.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Had that happen to me, groin incision would not stop bleeding and I ended up in emergency surgery for the repair. Got to spend some time in the icu because of it.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Holy fu-k, i didn't even know this was a thing, shocking the number that have had this here, good health to all you guys.

Trump Won!
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Been down the wrist road. If you invest too much worry in it, you'll wish you hadn't.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
RJL53 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Been down the wrist road. If you invest too much worry in it, you'll wish you hadn't.

No worries since I think I would prefer the wrist over the groin. That's why I thought I would ask of others that had it done that way.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
On 2/27/21 I had my first heart attack. The next day the doc put a stent in through the wrist. He told me I needed a second one but that he couldn't get it around a bend to place it. He set me up for stent number two and they went through my groin. After he was done they had one hell of a time getting the bleeding to stop. I was still half out of it so don't remember much other than there was a lot of pressure in the area and for almost a full month like I've never seen before. It ran from where my right leg joined my torso and half the leg almost to the knee. I can only hope that if they ever have to put another stent in that they go through the wrist.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve had around 15 caths done. Maybe more. At Mayo I had three caths in my groin at once. I’ve had the cath in my wrist a few times.
The wrist is less intrusive.
One of my groin caths they could not get it to stop bleeding. A nurse had to hold pressure on it for hours. We got to know each other well.
I had a whopping heart attack in 2017 while in a 100 mile bike race. As a result I had a high number of pvc’s. I’ve had four ablations. The last one at Mayo was very successful and removed all but a few pvc’s.
At Mayo they did not use any anesthesia or pain meds due to my pvcs disappearing under anesthesia. I was raw dogged for 12 hours wide awake and alert. It worked.
Good luck on whichever method they use. God be with you.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had two cath experiences, both through the groin. I had no problems with bleeding, but the stents were done needlessly. I really needed bypass surgery, which I had the morning after the second stent procedure. Good luck with your procedures. I had good doctors and good results, especially the bypass surgery. I hope you do as well as I did.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a cath done 3 years ago. Exploratory. They went through the wrist. Procedure was at 7am I believe and I was there until 5:30pm. I was the last one in the room to leave. Every time they removed the plug, the blood was everywhere. It was a long day!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MegaVinn
I had a cath done 3 years ago. Exploratory. They went through the wrist. Procedure was at 7am I believe and I was there until 5:30pm. I was the last one in the room to leave. Every time they removed the plug, the blood was everywhere. It was a long day!

What plug ? I didn't have any "plug". I had mine done at 11 am and went home at 3 pm. They wrapped my wrist with a stretchy clearish tape with a little balloon under it that they pumped up right over the incision to keep pressure on it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[/quote] What plug ? I didn't have any "plug". I had mine done at 11 am and went home at 3 pm. They wrapped my wrist with a stretchy clearish tape with a little balloon under it that they pumped up right over the incision to keep pressure on it.
[/quote]

It was a rectagular shaped material over the entrance, nurse called it a plug. Every time she pulled it, it bled hard. Not complaining, didnt bother me other than it was a long day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJL53
Anyone here have a heart catheter procedure where the Dr. went in through you wrist vein instead of your groin vein? If so, were there any issues afterward to speak of? I'm thinking I would prefer the wrist, what say you?

Had it done last fall for a look around after an unexplained incident. I was fully awake and aware for the entire procedure. They just numbed my wrist and the inside of my right elbow where they fed the secondary lead. No big deal. I walked out about 3 hours later under my own power after they ensured I wasn't going spring an arterial leak and was driving a stick-shift truck an hour or so after that. Of course I kept a CAT TQ and and Israeli bandage on me or nearby for about 48hrs until I felt comfortable that nothing was going to leak.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Holy fu-k, i didn't even know this was a thing, shocking the number that have had this here, good health to all you guys.
My cardiologist told me 3/4 of the over 50 male population has a partial blockage somewhere and most don't know it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.