Hop To
U
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Retired cop put in chokehold takes police case to high court
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/p...Yu6V2kw19WhrbjoSXow5nXANQ5aFO4Axj39YjgmU

WASHINGTON – Something went wrong at the security checkpoint at the VA hospital in El Paso, Texas, on a winter's day in 2016.

A 70-year-old man arriving for dental work was put in a chokehold and thrown to the ground by federal police officers in an altercation that was caught on camera.

The man, Jose Oliva, left needing surgery on his shoulder and also required treatment for his throat, eardrum and hand, on which he wore a gold watch he received when he retired after 25 years in federal law enforcement.

But when Oliva, who identifies himself as Mexican American, tried to sue the three officers who were involved, a federal appeals court ruled he was out of luck. He’s asking the Supreme Court to revive his lawsuit and the justices could say what they're going to do as early as Monday.

The case puts before the justices the issue of suing law enforcement officers who used chokeholds and possibly excessive force at a time of national reckoning over police tactics and treatment of people of color.

“I just think when I’m alone, letting my mind wander, how could this have happened to me, who served a year in the combat zone and then the rest of my life in law enforcement? How could this happen to me?” Oliva said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

Now 76, Oliva said he still has trouble swallowing and his shoulder still hurts five years after the incident.

There is no sound to accompany the images from the day, but Oliva appears to be waiting in line to go through security and at no time physically resists the officers.

He said the trouble began when an officer asked him for his identification, which he indicated he already had put in a bin that was about to be scanned.

The officers and Oliva dispute precisely what was said. But at one point, Officer Mario Nivar approached Oliva with handcuffs at the ready. As soon as Oliva reached the metal detector, Navir grabbed him, applied a chokehold and wrestled Oliva to the ground. Oliva said he heard a popping sound as his shoulder was wrenched behind his back.

Oliva was charged with disorderly conduct, but the government later dropped the charge.

Nivar was assisted by two other officers, Mario Garcia and Hector Barahona. James Jopling, Nivar's lawyer, declined to make his client available for an interview or to respond to questions himself.

But lawyers for the other men described Oliva as obstinate in refusing to comply with repeated requests for identification and said the officers acted appropriately.

"Because at that point, he’s a potential threat. You don’t know what he is or what he’s carrying. His obstinate refusal is a concern to everyone. A 70-year-old man can handle a .45 pistol just as well as an 18 year old,” said Louis Lopez, Barahona's lawyer.

Gabriel Perez, representing Garcia, said the video lacks context, in part because there is no sound.

“He's a veteran obviously, but he's entering a public place, a federal installation. Signs state you have to present ID before you are admitted. He's requested to provide identification. He refused,” Perez said.

U.S. District Judge Frank Montalvo ruled that the lawsuit could go forward, noting that officers do not contend that Oliva resisted arrest.

“This is critical as an officer who grapples and chokes a suspect who is not actively resisting violated clearly established law,” Montalvo wrote.

Fifty years ago, the Supreme Court ruled that, in limited circumstances, people could sue federal officers for violations of their constitutional rights. Seven federal courts of appeals have held that officers can be sued for rights violations in the course of standard law enforcement operations.

But the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which includes Texas, reversed Montalvo's ruling. A three-judge panel held that the right to sue basically is limited to the same situation the Supreme Court ruled on in 1971, when federal agents entered a home without a warrant, then manacled and strip-searched a suspect.

Appeals court judge Don Willett was not on the three-judge panel that decided Oliva's case, but in a concurring opinion in another 5th Circuit case that dismissed a lawsuit on similar grounds, Willett called the attack on Oliva “unprovoked” and worried that Oliva and others like him find themselves without any legal recourse.

″Are all courthouse doors—both state and federal—slammed shut?” he asked. Willett said he was compelled by previous 5th Circuit rulings to agree the other lawsuit should be dismissed.

In urging the Supreme Court to take the case, Oliva's lawyers with the libertarian Institute for Justice quoted Willett that under the law in the 5th Circuit, which also encompasses Louisiana and Mississippi, federal officials "operate in something resembling a Constitution-free zone.”

Oliva, who retired from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection in 2010, said he has a high regard for police officers because he was one of them.

But he said his experience at the VA hospital five years ago “brings to mind more and more the recent attacks on people who have been killed, George Floyd, Eric Garner and the others. The job does not entail assaulting people."

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man I don’t know what to say about that because I have encountered all kinds of characters at the VA and I’ve yet to come in contact with a nasty VA cop, and I hate cops.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the VA cops in my town are gun-friendly and some of them are serious night-time hog hunters.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
This guy is portraying himself as an innocent little bunny manhandled by psycho cops. I have a hard time buying that one; he must have been a complete a**hole to get treated so roughly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the bigger VA facilities look like Underground Los Angeles from the movie “Demolition Man”.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
See how easy all of this could have been avoided if he would have just complied with lawful orders and SHOWED THE COPs THE ID!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See how easy…If he wore his mask

Got his shot

Renounced God

?????

Dumbass, if cops wanna become the enemy of both sides…game over

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/24/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True story: last summer I was evicted from my local VA. I've been going up there for a few years to use their outdoor walking track and military-style workout stations (overhead monkey bars, pullup bars, sit-up bench, etc.). It was posted "No visitors" at the entrance due to the Shanghai Shivers, but since I was only there outdoors and I timed my visits to when there was hardly anybody using it, I kept going. Well, I got busted last July - the two VA cops said I couldn't come back. They were so mean to me that we ended up talking about the hogs coming in from the east side of the campus and their efforts to run the hogs off the grounds using non-lethal methods. Horrible experience, I tell you!!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MPat70
See how easy all of this could have been avoided if he would have just complied with lawful orders and SHOWED THE COPs THE ID!!!

dude can you not read... he did not have it. It was in a bin about to be scanned...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
"But when Oliva, who identifies himself as Mexican American"

Says it all, right there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI

What? Cops don't like Mexican people.

I'm not sure, what your thoughts are.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VA and the word Hospital is all that need be said.
Those are oxy morons.
In fact the morons running those death pits of pit vipers "caring" for vets should go no where near them. Those places are the worst places ever constructed and responsible for more harm than the battlefields.

I don't know what happened any more than anyone else. But warning to the seniors here.....BEWARE and find a safe place even if its out of pocket. You can't go into those places, and certainly Not alone. No....just have the wisdom that comes with age and stay the hell out of them...if not for yourself, do it for your families.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man Happy Camper, I see you are an expert on the VA.
You must have a hard time being a "happy camper"
What's it like being so much better informed than anyone else on the forum?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Man Happy Camper, I see you are an expert on the VA.
You must have a hard time being a "happy camper"
What's it like being so much better informed than anyone else on the forum?

No, I've camped out in VA waiting rooms too many times. It's never a happy experience.
Unfortunately, I've been around them long enough to learn a few things that aren't advertised.
I've met some decent people that I considered worthy of letters of commendation. I want to give credit where its due.
However, when pieces of human trash employed as nurses and doctors put friends, church members, family and acquaintances at risk, I have to warn them.
I've always taken saving lives seriously.
Sadly, I failed. I have to live with that. Unfortunately, the victims of VA "care" did not.

I just don't want anyone here to go through that too.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/24/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I once inspected the VA in Manhattan in the late 80's for environmental issues, there was a line of people 150 feet long, all looked like homeless people. When the VA doctor asked me if I knew what that line was for and I said "no", he said it was the line for methadone! Ho-Lee-[bleep]!

U
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by MPat70

He couldn't because he had already given it over for checking. Which is beside the point. You should not have to lick their boots to get by. They're there to serve the public, not bully us. And certainly not to harm our elderly veterans. Claiming they were afraid does not justify their actions. Such a claim just makes obvious their cowardice as is usually the case with bullies.

They didn't do this as much before the Supreme Court gave them immunity. That's the real problem.
If the government is not subject to the will of the people there will be tyranny no matter which group is in power.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

He couldn't because he had already given it over for checking. Which is beside the point. You should not have to lick their boots to get by. They're there to serve the public, not bully us. And certainly not to harm our elderly veterans. Claiming they were afraid does not justify their actions. Such a claim just makes obvious their cowardice as is usually the case with bullies.

They didn't do this as much before the Supreme Court gave them immunity. That's the real problem.
If the government is not subject to the will of the people there will be tyranny no matter which group is in power.

Amen!
Even IF he had cussed them and thrown up his middle finger in an emotional response, that still is No reason for the bullies to harm the man. When police defend this type of violence against veterans and non violent people, they are only demonstrating that they identify with organized crime by virtue of a position of power.
This is tolerated way too much.
The VAs commit crimes against veterans and their families EVERY day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Eliminate Sovereign Immunity and Limited Sovereign Immunity so folks who work in gov't get to be responsible for their actions just like anyone else.

2. Defund the police, just like the BLMantiphags say they want. Hey, stopped clock and all that.

Most (not all) police forces have been used to prevent decent white folks from protecting their neighborhoods from crime and immivasion. Allow decent folks to organize and defend what's theirs and most of the crime ends. (With a beating, hanging from a tree, shot in the commission, and generally run out of the neighborhood by sundown.)

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by HawkI

What? Cops don't like Mexican people.

I'm not sure, what your thoughts are.

Its not what my thoughts are, its what you should know about him.

(If you read it, he didn't get roughed up by O'Learys and Hendersons).

U
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by jfruser
1. Eliminate Sovereign Immunity and Limited Sovereign Immunity so folks who work in gov't get to be responsible for their actions just like anyone else.

2. Defund the police, just like the BLMantiphags say they want. Hey, stopped clock and all that.

Most (not all) police forces have been used to prevent decent white folks from protecting their neighborhoods from crime and immivasion. Allow decent folks to organize and defend what's theirs and most of the crime ends. (With a beating, hanging from a tree, shot in the commission, and generally run out of the neighborhood by sundown.)

Trouble with blue backers is most want the work done for them. They delude themselves that what they want done to those "others" won't in turn be done to themselves. Like you say, freedom to handle your own is the answer. We can do our own beating and shooting and save the taxes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.