Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
TRH, Nothing to be ashamed of if you ask me. The Bulldog is a reasonably priced revolver that packs a hell of a punch. It’s not as refined as some other revolvers but for the niche it fills it’s about perfect.

With birdshot it makes a fine halibut tamer, with a cast bullet or even a lighter HP it will tame 2 and 4 legged critters.

I didn't mean there was anything wrong with the gun. I meant having three.

I gotcha.....you’re ashamed that you only have 3 when you could have 4 or 5. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TRH, Nothing to be ashamed of if you ask me. The Bulldog is a reasonably priced revolver that packs a hell of a punch. It’s not as refined as some other revolvers but for the niche it fills it’s about perfect.

With birdshot it makes a fine halibut tamer, with a cast bullet or even a lighter HP it will tame 2 and 4 legged critters.

I’d love to find a deal on a nice clean original model Bulldog 44. One of my favorite pocket guns for arrowhead hunting.
I always keep the first cylinder loaded with a CCI snake shot load.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim, I'm impressed by when the boy dropped the hammer on an empty chamber you don't see much, if any, flinch at all.

He do looked hooked. grin

Black Cows Matter!
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
That right there is awesome Jim I’m always impressed with your posts regarding family keep up the good work.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
That last shot was perfect. Lad pulled the trigger, no cartridge in the chamber, and the revolver didn't even move a bit. Good job teaching 'em not to flinch.

Wish I would have had a dad like you Jim. Care to adopt a boomer? (I have lots of ammo.)

Will you pay for the women and beer?

I'll bring my own, so I'm not a burden. Jim will have to continue to drink generic soda.

Hope that's not a deal breaker.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brings a tear.

And Shasta soda is better than that kommie coke and puusy pepsi crap.

Last edited by FatCity67; 05/25/21.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a Smith & Wesson triple lock in 44 special recently very nice gun

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
And if you REALLY want to make a s hit stomper out of it.....load it with 35 grains of 3F REAL BLACK POWDER!!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"It's fun."

From the mouths of babes....

===========

My .44mag and .357mags shoot 9 special-powered loads for every 1 magnum-powered load. They're like gunpowder-sprinkled Lays tater-chips: can't just shoot once.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
And if you REALLY want to make a s hit stomper out of it.....load it with 35 grains of 3F REAL BLACK POWDER!!!

HIckok45 says that about .45 Colt, i.e., that a full charge of black powder in the case brings it up to Magnum levels of power without the pressure levels created by Magnumizing with smokeless powder. I guess because it's slower burning. But then you'd need a longer barrel to benefit from it.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

laugh

Spot on.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

HIckok45 says that about .45 Colt, i.e., that a full charge of black powder in the case brings it up to Magnum levels of power without the pressure levels created by Magnumizing with smokeless powder. I guess because it's slower burning. But then you'd need a longer barrel to benefit from it.

Interesting point... I'm not sure exactly how much barrel you would need, but when I fire my .45 Colt blackpowder loads in a 4" bbl pistola I "think" I've still gained some significant oomph compared to standard factory loads (which are pretty anemic!). I guess I need to run some chrono numbers and find out what the actual data say. Have you tried it?

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/25/21.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown
That last shot was perfect. Lad pulled the trigger, no cartridge in the chamber, and the revolver didn't even move a bit. Good job teaching 'em not to flinch.

Wish I would have had a dad like you Jim. Care to adopt a boomer? (I have lots of ammo.)

Will you pay for the women and beer?

I'll bring my own, so I'm not a burden. Jim will have to continue to drink generic soda.

Hope that's not a deal breaker.

BYOB
BYOW

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Interesting point... I'm not sure exactly how much barrel you would need, but when I fire my .45 Colt blackpowder loads in a 4" bbl pistola I "think" I've still gained some significant oomph. I guess I need to run some chrono numbers and find out what the actual data say. Have you tried it?

What are these charges?

IIRC the old load was 40 grains of black under a 250 or 255 for 900-950 fps. I wouldn't call that magnumized, but recoil would be up from a typical smokeless load at that level because of double or more ejecta due to powder.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If I use a drop tube and compress the charge further I can fit ~38 gr of FFFg in a Winchester case, but only ~37 gr in a Starline case. That's with a 265 gr bullet, which is my standard 45 Colt cast bullet with 1:16 alloy.

The original 1873 load was ostensibly 40 gr, but those were in the old balloon-head cases, and there is a lot of random info out there saying the armories downloaded them to about 35 gr because the recoil with 40 gr was hard for the soldiers of the 1870's and 80's to handle. I recall reading that Mike Venturino had taken apart some antique cartridges from that era and found the loads were 35 gr or less.

I think you're correct on the increased recoil being from the ejecta. I had chronograph data on these loads out of my old 7.5" barrel Bisley, but I do not have that revolver any longer (it went to Linebaugh as a project donor gun), and I can't for the life of me find those chronograph records. I did those tests way back, in 2001 or 2002. I'm going to have to chrono these loads again, and will compare the 5.5" Bisley barrel with a 4" S&W barrel. I'll post the numbers on the Handguns forum. May take me a week or two.

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/25/21.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Funny thing about old vs new is that it has gone full circle.

The latest and greatest 9mm's are heavy for caliber and sub-sonic.

Crazy fershure.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.