Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My son's got a 73 model. We rebuilt the sleep area. It had one large bed and we split it and put one single on each side with a runway down the middle. It was a trip cutting those radius'. They're ok but there are more comfortable campers around.

GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
Airstreams, Casita’s, and Scamp’s hold value.

If you don’t care about that, buy something else.

First and third (family-connected owned) are flat-out, correct.

Not familiar enough with Casita's to comment.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't answer your question, but looked seriously into buying one for travel around the country.
I asked missionaries on deputation who would travel every week to different towns in America. They gave tips that helped my learning curve.

To put it in a nutshell, whatever brand you go for, new is overpriced and low maintenance. Some have that extra money. No judgement regardless.
As a young preacher I was looking at older models and taking my mechanic friend to inspect the ones I was serious about. It's like flipping houses, but on a smaller scale.

My neighbor spent many hours restoring an old small motorhome that was made by Toyota...at least the drivetrain. I guess it was 3-5 months worth of all his spare time. He too is now one happy camper.
Whatever you choose to get, I hope the same for you and your wife on your new adventure.

HC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Airstreams are designed for covering ground..
The majority of the weight is concentrated at frame level. Tows great.
Rounded headspace cuts inside space considerably. Aids in towing.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For what it is worth, we bought a 2017 Lance 1995 and are very, very happy with it. We slept very comfortably during our late season elk hunt last year. One morning it was 24 F below zero outside but the furnace kept it a comfortable 71 F inside. Excellent quality construction and everything still works well.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looked at the Airstreams but no slide out, rounded corner in the bed and price made us decide against the silver Twinkie. Looked at lots of other brands and like EdM, we settled on a Lance model 2285. Could it be happier than wears with the Lance and they too hold their value well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm starting to look at these units they are also 4 seasons.

Wishing you the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the tip on Lance units.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Wishing you the best.

Be careful with believing the term....“4 Seasons”! Many manufacturers say 4 Seasons, but really don’t have the materials to give good r-values. It is a “catch phrase” used very loosely by many manufacturers! There are some 4-Season units that work really well......provided all 4 seasons are in the Florida Keys! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thor is a lead manufacturer of RVs thru 10 or 12 manufacturers

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by limofarm
The wife and I are thinking about a new camper and wondering if airstreams are worth the cost? Looking at something in the 19-20 ft. Range. Airstreams are about 3x times what cheap campers run, are they worth it? Thanks Darrell

Check out Black Series Campers. https://www.blackseriescamper.com/travel-trailers/hq17.html

They are awesome and hold their value. The HQ17 or HQ19 would be perfect for you and your wife and you can take it anywhere, including off-road and through rivers.

The airstream will fall apart in those same conditions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Wishing you the best.

Be careful with believing the term....“4 Seasons”! Many manufacturers say 4 Seasons, but really don’t have the materials to give good r-values. It is a “catch phrase” used very loosely by many manufacturers! There are some 4-Season units that work really well......provided all 4 seasons are in the Florida Keys! memtb

Thanks for the tip.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
There’s a lot choices out there. Finding one with some counter space for the wife will be a part of the deciding factor.lots too think about. Thanks Darrell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by limofarm
The wife and I are thinking about a new camper and wondering if airstreams are worth the cost? Looking at something in the 19-20 ft. Range. Airstreams are about 3x times what cheap campers run, are they worth it? Thanks Darrell

See you from sw missouri,have you looked at rvs at Coachlight Rv in Carthage? They have a nice rv park also,I worked there 2 winters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was short on bucks so went Winnebago. Airstreams do a much better job of holding value.

I always want two axles.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/24/21.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Opinions on the Western Range Camp trailers?

Like this one?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Without going into specific brands, I’ll say only this, the lighter the unit....the less materials are used! Which should be self-explanitory! Then you start comparing frame sizes/thicknesses, axle ratings and brake sizes, real wood or plastic “sheathing” making it look like wood, if aluminum framing.....is it “spot-welded” at joints or full perimeter welding, ect. Some manufacturers state that their warranty is void if used for “full time” use.....which should give some insight into the manufacturers confidence in their product!! These are but, a very few of things to consider when purchasing.

Last but not least, rv’s generally depreciate very rapidly.....buy used if at all possible. Let the first owner take the big monetary loss! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/25/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve owned / restored/ sold over 20 airstreams in my life. Nothing past 1971. I kept 2 for my own. Both 1966. A 17’ and a 22’ both single axles. I just really like the little ones and the older ones. Built with an airplane fuselage they were made to be pulled at 100mph. Yes, I tried it. They are a little tight but so cool! I’d recommend trying one if you are even slightly interested.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Lance or Northwood (Arctic Fox, Nash, Snow River)

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

Last but not least, rv’s generally depreciate very rapidly.....buy used if at all possible. Let the first owner take the big monetary loss! memtb

I bought a new travel traler just before COVID hit, so none of the inflated pricing you see these days. I scoured the used market for a long time, and the asking prices I saw didn't reflect substantial depreciation for well maintained used units. Sure, I could have spent a lot of time trying to find an owner willing to back way off the price, but I don't find much joy in that process.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 73 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.