-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have overloaded Colt Police Positives many times.
I have reamed one out to 357 mag chambers.
None have ever shot loose.
I have blown some up, but that was way past 357 mag loads.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good points and info by all. Thanks for video TRH.

Thanks all.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
They are not a +P rated gun. I would stick with standard velocity ammo in them. Standard velocity 38 Spec. is indeed, weak. That's why a lot of folks have 357's.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with plain jane 38sp as a defensive round for most civilians. wadcutters are great.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Wadcutters seated backwards are even better.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MustardMan

I think that's been debunked by actual testing. Too much expansion. More effective in the correct orientation, which gives good, but not exaggerated, expansion, just due to being soft lead.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buffalo Bore makes good .38 defense load in both regular and high test. I’d get some of those when you can. Regular should be fine. Bullet shape matters more than velocity IMO. Old roundnose .38s were pretty poor stoppers, but FN and good hollerpoints make a better impression.

Years ago, a fleeing jackhole was shot in the azz by the Howard County, MD police with standard .38 RNs. He didn’t even realize he’d been shot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I think that's been debunked by actual testing. Too much expansion. More effective in the correct orientation, which gives good, but not exaggerated, expansion, just due to being soft lead.
Yeah, that's another of those old wives tales that just needs to go away. Turn it the right way, you'll get pretty darned good penetration.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Really ? The Brits found it worked well on the Wogs.

455 Webley Mk III: Introduced in 1898. The famous "Manstopper" bullet intended for police, civilian and colonial use. Essentially, the Mk III was a 218 grain lead "hollowpoint" design, propelled by cordite. The cylindrical bullet had hemispherical hollows at each end—one to seal the barrel, the other to deform on impact. This bullet was soon prohibited for use by the military because it was not compliant with the Hague Convention of 1899. The Mark III was withdrawn from service in 1900 and the Mark II was reintroduced.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

455 Webley Mk III: Introduced in 1898. The famous "Manstopper" bullet intended for police, civilian and colonial use. Essentially, the Mk III was a 218 grain lead "hollowpoint" design, propelled by cordite. The cylindrical bullet had hemispherical hollows at each end—one to seal the barrel, the other to deform on impact. This bullet was soon prohibited for use by the military because it was not compliant with the Hague Convention of 1899. The Mark III was withdrawn from service in 1900 and the Mark II was reintroduced.

The problem with reversing the wadcutter is that (due to being soft lead) it expands into a disk on impact, and only penetrates a few inches.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Although they appear similar, they are very different... There's more than just "design".

Consider first, the .455 Mk III was designed from the get-go to be a hollow point bullet. The .38 Wadcutter wasn't. The .38 wadcutter uses almost pure lead so it deforms easily during the swaging process. The .455 is swaged, but they had to consider terminal performance; so I'd be willing to bet the metallurgy of the .455 is a bit different.

The hollow base cavity wasn't designed with bullet expansion in mind.

Now I have never seen ballistic gelatin tests of the Mk III (although I would love to, and I'm talking period load, not someone's recreation), but I have seen such tests of a backwards wadcutter, and it's less than impressive in penetration. What's more, when it encounters heavy clothing the cavity tends to collapse so you get no expansion...kinda defeating the whole purpose.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Good read:

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=introduction-to-455-cartridges

HP/HB manstopper was swaged from pure lead.

Wog home invaders don't wear heavy clothing, just a hoodie and sweat pants. Neither would slow a flipped WC. Just skip head shots.

The 455 choices:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.