Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Where do you go dinning??? Do you get pushed around after you arrive???

My half parallelized mother did at The Amana Colony restaurant on interstate 80 in 1974.

The jackass ;Head waiter" pushed her off her feet! mad

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mrs Bessie Baker's cafe in Rayville La.!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alfredo's in Mexico City. This is a branch of the real Alfredo's in Rome.

Service and food off the charts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner
The Fior D'Italia in San Francisco. I took my prom date there. Full dinner for two, $250.00 plus tip. That was back in 1957. I wonder if that place is still in business. Prom dates were usually taken to Bimbo's 365 Club. Prices were a little more reasonable. Food was good in both places. My favorite place to take a date back the was a little hole in the wall Italian place called Pete's. It was kind of like the place where Micheal Corleone whacked two guys, then split for parts unknown. It had small booths with candle light and curtains for privacy. A really neat place to take a date and the food was outstanding with very reasonable prices. I left San Francisco in 1968 never to return. I wonder if those places even exist anymore?
I liked the Golden OX in KC but the last time I was there I heard it had closed down. That's a shame as they served one hell of a fine steak. These days if I want a decent steak at a reasonable price I go to Cattle Town here in Tucson. Nice place to take a date should I get lucky.
Paul B.

Fior d'Italia is long gone, sadly. Bimbo's is still there.

A lot of the old Italian restaurants have closed in the North Beach area. They were usually a good value for the $$$. But that traditional dining style went out of fashion.
Lots of very good restaurants have taken their place.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon

My half parallelized mother did at The Amana Colony restaurant on interstate 80 in 1974.

Got crosswise with him?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nobu, Berkeley St., London. Client was paying. 6 people. About $3K.

It's recently relocated: https://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/news/nobu-berkeley-street-closing_9633

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The coolest place I've eaten, many times, is The Buckhorn Saloon & Opera House: http://www.buckhornsaloonandoperahouse.com/

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Got crosswise with him?

It was a very busy place on a Thanksgiving weekend Sunday Mike.

He was literally pushing, and shoving people into the bar to wait, so more people could get in the main door.

We should have left, telling him what we thought on our way out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gaido's Seafood Restaurant in Galveston TX. It’s been YEARS since I’ve been there, though.

And the Frisco Country Club in Frisco, TX. Saw Ross Perot jr in their while we were eating.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My career brought a lot of great food in a number of places but the best is the dinner my youngest son and I have when we attend the Dallas Safari Club show. It's at Bob's Steak and Chop House right there near the show. The food and drinks are always great. We missed 2021 due to COVID cancellation but will be there in 2022 which will mark seven years I believe.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Trying to impress a woman, I took her to the Edgewater in Seattle...what a fiasco, never again, my embarrassing ignorance of manners and protocol for fine dining, snooty waiters, overpriced food. A good life lesson, I never tried to be something I wasn't again.

Thank you ! This thread just shows I am right about most people.

I wood rather sit around a fire with good friends drinking Labatt Blue and cooking some walleye , than ever pretend that I'm a rich and have the class of an ass that's paying for dinner. I will stick to good friends with a six pack and a bird dog, over all of the over priced arrogantly assed folks the those big cities so wholly deserve.

Wearing a tie and tails, to eat snails has no place in my world, I would much rather kill it ,clean it and grill it over a fire with a few good friends that love the life we live, than to pretend I need anything more.

My level of classlessness, is limited to not drinking beer that comes in cans, unless of course, that's all the cold beer we have !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Went to a conference at the Greenbriar in WV. Old boy giving a talk warned everyone it was the only place he'd eaten, where the waiter told him he was using the wrong fork.

I remember asking my grand pap when I was young about such etiquette. He said, "I figure if I'm paying for it, I'll eat it however I want."

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Gaido's Seafood Restaurant in Galveston TX. It’s been YEARS since I’ve been there, though.

My family used to go there a long time ago (40+ years) and it was really nice. In the 1990's a friend (who grew up in Galveston) told me it just wasn't the same any more. Of course that report is over twenty years old so it may be great again.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Of course, i skipped the, "L', I meant ,"Plush".

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Trying to impress a woman, I took her to the Edgewater in Seattle...what a fiasco, never again, my embarrassing ignorance of manners and protocol for fine dining, snooty waiters, overpriced food. A good life lesson, I never tried to be something I wasn't again.

Thank you ! This thread just shows I am right about most people.

I wood rather sit around a fire with good friends drinking Labatt Blue and cooking some walleye , than ever pretend that I'm a rich and have the class of an ass that's paying for dinner. I will stick to good friends with a six pack and a bird dog, over all of the over priced arrogantly assed folks the those big cities so wholly deserve.

Wearing a tie and tails, to eat snails has no place in my world, I would much rather kill it ,clean it and grill it over a fire with a few good friends that love the life we live, than to pretend I need anything more.

My level of classlessness, is limited to not drinking beer that comes in cans, unless of course, that's all the cold beer we have !

That's funny right there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My family used to go there a long time ago (40+ years) and it was really nice. In the 1990's a friend (who grew up in Galveston) told me it just wasn't the same any more. Of course that report is over twenty years old so it may be great again.

Yep. Probably 40 years since I’ve been there. On my first honeymoon at age 21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The post about having individual servers reminded me of another one.
Our oldest son went to the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. They have 5 restaurants on campus which are run by the students. We went to the French restaurant, Escoffier (sp?) one time and it was great. The 5 of us each had our own server. The girl serving my wife was almost begging someone to order a flambe' for dessert so she could make it. It turned out great. Those kids are really hard workers.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When we were kids, my folks took us to a place in Minneapolis called "Boston Sea Party". It was an upscale seafood restaurant that had just about everything that comes out of the ocean --- shrimp, scallops, several different kinds of crab legs, oysters, mussels, clams, all kinds of fish, and a few different seafood chowders. They had several buffet lines, with the seafood items cooked in a wide variety of ways...deep fried, pan-fried, broiled, steamed, seared, chilled, and even raw. Everything was really nice...think Fogo de Chao, but with seafood.

Along with the buffet, my mom ordered a whole lobster. She kept trying to get us kids to try it, but I wasn't going to be distracted from the king crab legs, and my brother and sister were working on their own plates. After a few of my mother's unanswered requests to try the lobster, Dad leaned over and said, "It's all right, Dear. For $20 a pound, they don't have to like it."

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know the name but there was a restaurant beside the Sinclar truck stop in Flagstaff. 3/4 way across the country. Busting our asses to meet
delivery in a 55mph gutless truck, we stopped there for fuel. Hadnt showered in a couple days, and we walked over for a bite.

Classical music, fancy tablecloths, nice silver.....
They seated our grungy asses in the back....corner.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/26/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While it's probably not the poshest place, it at least has a good story.

La Maisonette in downtown Cincinnati was a 5-star French restaurant. I was in there every once in a while. It was . . . okay by my tastes. They had a downstairs rathskeller called La Normandie that was far more to my liking.

I buddy John and I had a mutual friend that was a high-end consultant to Procter and Gamble. The corporate HQ was just down the street. When he would come into town he was an expense account, so he ate at La Maisonette every night. He told us after one particularly hard day he showed up to dinner. The maitre d' asked him how things were going.

"Right now, " he replied. "I'd just be happy to hit McDonalds and go to bed."

A little while later, the waiter came out with a Big Mac and fries on a plate. They charged him $45 for "bœuf haché à la maison ."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.