-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck to the OP on finding what works for him.

After looking at RV trailers, I am resolved that I would only buy used or buy a new 7' tall inside tandem axle car hauler and finish the inside bits myself.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by memtb

Last but not least, rv’s generally depreciate very rapidly.....buy used if at all possible. Let the first owner take the big monetary loss! memtb

I bought a new travel traler just before COVID hit, so none of the inflated pricing you see these days. I scoured the used market for a long time, and the asking prices I saw didn't reflect substantial depreciation for well maintained used units. Sure, I could have spent a lot of time trying to find an owner willing to back way off the price, but I don't find much joy in that process.

This is my experience as well.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I really like the floor plan of the airstream 20fb.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looked at Airstream but did not like the absense of storage space.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
As an individual that's about 14 months out from leaving the workforce, I too was in the market for a Travel Trailer. My plan has been, and still is, to spend as much time Off Grid in the Mountains away from people as possible. Just my Dog and I......

Of course, that meant I needed a Toy Hauler design of some sort so that I could take my ATV, and had my family keep their eyes open for me as well. I was getting down to pulling the trigger on a Work and Play model, by Forest River, but the new ones are not built on the same Cargo Trailer base as they used to be, which is what caught my attention in the first place. Tough, rugged exterior, meant to handle the Outdoors. I have used a standard 6'x12' Cargo Trailer for years as a rustic camping trailer in the Mountains while Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope hunting.

My brother found a Toy Hauler for me in a state about 600 miles away, but it appeared to be in good shape, and the owners didn't use it much. It was a 2017 Coachmen Catalina 26TH that they only used 10 times at a local state park. They never even used the Stove, Oven or Furnace! Still smelled new inside, and best part was the price was half that of a new model. Should be just fine for carrying my ATV, and enough supplies for my excursions into the backwoods and byways of America.

I guess the point of my story is that there ARE some good deals out there.....if you take the time to search, and are willing to expand your search area. Additionaly, encourage friends and Family to help with your search and it increases your chances of finding such a deal as well.

Good Luck!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a friend that was always restoring an Airstream. Oddly, he only choose the little ones, 16’ & under. I believe they even have a special name.
Said he made respectable money for a hobby.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You may be thinking of the Bambi model, DMc, and they are very collectible.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There will come a rainy day that you are setting in a small trailer and you realize your inside a saltine cracker box. At that point you will start looking a a 30' RV with a deep, long slide. Go big, or go home.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MM879
There will come a rainy day that you are setting in a small trailer and you realize your inside a saltine cracker box. At that point you will start looking a a 30' RV with a deep, long slide. Go big, or go home.

Or if you've spent significant storm time in a 2 man canvas shelter you might be perfectly happy to have a comfortable dry place to hang out and/or sleep.

Still looking for an informed opinion on the Western Range Camp Trailers

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never owned an Air Stream but I’ve own three Avions. The first two were the silver bullet type. A 28 ft and a 34 ft Tripple axle. You could literally dance on the roofs of these trailers. Solid is really not the word for them.
The third was a fifth wheel Avion with two slides. It had the same problems as most trailers, roof leaks. The best thing about all three was the solid wood floors and cabinets.
The well built trailers you can live in full time. The others you spend all you time tightening screws that came loose in the particle board they are made with.
Replacing A/C’s , fridges, hot water heaters and power converters are just part of the deal. All trailers pretty much use the same ones. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Like mentioned above, I have a 26 ft Winnebago trailer. On a cold wet windy day when one decides to remain in camp, I'm most satisfied and comfortable in my 12 x 14 wall tent.

1Minute
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by johnw

Or if you've spent significant storm time in a 2 man canvas shelter you might be perfectly happy to have a comfortable dry place to hang out and/or sleep.

Still looking for an informed opinion on the Western Range Camp Trailers

I share your take on this. A Range camp looks good, maybe not aerodynamic.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

No worries here with my little Lance and hard azz wife.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Avoid anything with a slide-out.

Airstreams are worth the extra money for those who want the best. For many years I had a 1958 Airstream 18-footer. Towed it from Baja, California to British Columbia. Now have a 1967 Silver Streak (similar look and construction, built by ex-Airstream people) 24-footer. The quality of these trailers is head and shoulders above the others. The size range you are looking at should be plenty for a couple. The bigger it is, the bigger the tow vehicle necessary.

Mine is like the one pictured.
[Linked Image from silverstreakforsale.files.wordpress.com]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 70 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.