Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was wondering if there is a general issue with Nosler factory .223 ammo.

I've been shooting an AR for a while, not a rabid long time fan, but I like mine and have put a few thousand rounds through them. The only misfire I've had so far was with Nosler 60 grain ballistic tip "match grade" factory ammo. I more or less shrugged it off.

Last weekend I took a new 700 VS that's been languishing in the safe unfired for a year out to sight in. I wasn't ready to play with handloads, just took a few partial boxes of factory ammo. The WW 64 grain powerpoint stuff worked fine. Didn't shoot for [bleep], 4+ inch groups, but it went bang and gave me no guff. The first 2 rounds of 55 grain "Varminator" Nosler ammo fired fine. The next 3 misfired on the first try. I extracted each, turned them part of a turn, put them back in the chamber, and pulled the trigger again. All fired on the 2nd try. The 2nd of the 3 had a wildly protruding primer after the shot. The third ruptured the primer .. punched the firing pin right through the cup. A single round of the 60 grain factory ammo, same as misfired in the AR, would not fire at all.

I'm wondering a couple things ... first, the symptoms suggest excessive headspace and since it happened in 2 different guns, especially in the AR which has a fairly significant history of no other issues, I think it is ammo, not the guns. Does that seem reasonable?

Second .. is there a known issue with Nosler factory .223 ammo and misfires?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dunno about Nosler factory .223, but this morning I lit off a Nosler "Trophy Grade" 9.3 Mauser 250 NAB and all it did was go 'click'.

'Course all I have to do is guess which ones won't fire and leave those at home when I head out to knock down dinner...

Easy Button...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nosler makes chit ammo. I tried some of their 22-250 factory loads and they were worthless... On top of not shooting worth a fuqk, whatever powder their using is filthy. The Hornady super performance 22-250 with the 55 grain V max shoots very well out of my Sako as does their 243 with the 75 grain V max.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Whatever powder they're using for the 9.3 Mauser 250 gr. NAB it burns really clean. Some of the cleanest I've seen from factory ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A couple of comments:

Have been slowly using up a supply of around 1000 rounds of Nosler Varmageddon .223 ammo for a decade now. No problems with accuracy or going bang in various rifles, including my AR-15 and several bolt guns--but if you are having the difficulty described you should contact Nosler.

Nosler folks have also told me the powder they use in most (if not all) Nosler ammo is one which has proven accurate during their testing for their handloading data. In other words, it's probably the powder that's listed as most accurate for that bullet weight in their on-line and manual data.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well, for the 9.3 250 gr. NAB that just might be Varget. When I took apart the round that didn't go bang the charge weighed 53.0 gr. of short cut something...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't get started on Nosler QC.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They must be drawing out of the same gene puddle as Leupold?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Buy their bullets, not their loaded ammo. Barnes makes some chidt ammo too, but we love using their bullets. WhoTF wants to pay the asking price for that Nosler ammo anyway?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,271 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.