Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KU_Geo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Alright, recently became interested in Dakota model 10s, and wondering if anyone has any feedback on them. Obviously the price tag is HIGH, but wondering if the accuracy matches the looks? Also, if I was to be in the market for a used one, is there anything I should watch out for (certain vintage issues, early vs newer guns, problem calibers, etc...)? Thinking one of these in 270win might be a pretty nice counter part to a finely stocked classic bolt action 30-06 as part of a general purpose pair of rifles.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've owned a few. My experience with them is that the barrels are so thin that they handle wonderfully, but can only be expected to group for about three shots, then start to walk as the barrel heats.

The only one I really thought didn't perform was chambered in 7mm Dakota, a very large case. On mine the petite extractor would not reliably eject a fired case, even a mildly loaded one, probably because of the large bearing surface of the cartridge. One in .270 Win would probably be just fine. The one I still have in 7mm Mauser is superb.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I picked one up in 257 Roberts recently and am still working up loads. I'm getting pretty good results with 100 gr Sierras and IMR 4350. Just got some 115 gr Partitions and am looking forwards to trying them. I haven't had any issues with extraction even with max loads.

Mine is probably the prettiest rifle I own. The wood and workmanship are outstanding. I have a Leupold 2.5 - 8 VariX III on it and as mentioned it handles great. It's size and weight make my Ruger No 1 As feel like a club. Looking forwards to hunting deer and pigs with it.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also have one in 257 Robts and mine also likes 100 gr. bullets, settled on a load with a 100 gr TSX as a do all deer and pig load.

Very nice rifles, best bet is to look for one that has been lightly used, new they can get to $10k or more with all the bells and whistles......

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Plus 1 for used. I got mine off of Gun Broker that was sold as used, out of an estate, and possibly unfired. It was indeed pristine. There was a misspelling in the listing's title which kept it from showing up if you searched for Dakota Model 10. There was only one other bidder. I paid more for it than I had ever spent on a gun, but "building" it on the Dakota site I paid around half the price of a new one.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I strongly considered one but as mentioned the extras can add up quickly. I found a Ruger #1 action and had a build done just like I wanted it for a lot less. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]test keyboard keys [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]acer laptop keyboard locked up [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GSPfan,
Who did your custom work on the Ruger?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dakota’s are too rich for my blood, but certainly beautiful. I’m liking that custom No. 1!

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sharps it was done by Central Michigan Gunsmithing in Mt. Pleasant MI.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I strongly considered one but as mentioned the extras can add up quickly. I found a Ruger #1 action and had a build done just like I wanted it for a lot less. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]test keyboard keys [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]acer laptop keyboard locked up [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Couldn’t you find any nice wood?😛

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nope I had to scrounge this up from the burn pile...LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I never get tired looking at the photos of that rifle.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
KU_Geo Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Thabks guys for the info in the dakotas. And the thought had crossed my mind to build a custom on a ruger no1 similar to GSPFan. Both look like good routes to a fine rifle.

Any major difference between the Dakota action vs ruger no1?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nothing that jumped out at me. I have less than half the money in that rifle than what the same gun in a Dakota M10 would have cost me. Another nice action to consider is the new production Winchester High Wall. There made in Belgrade MT. I had one done in 38-55 it's a beautiful rifle.

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add to this that they appear to be out of business now. I think they were part of the Freedom group with Remington et al, and no one seems to have picked up the pieces like Marlin and some others were after the bankruptcy. The website is still up, but it looks like the lights are on, but nobodies home. Phone, for me, does not even ring through when you call them.

Last edited by 21; 05/27/21.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Dakota M10s are very nice rifles but the price has kept me from getting one.Came close to buying one in 7mm Dakota but that is too much cartridge for that action and weight of rifle, I suspect this is why the price was so reasonable on this one.

AJ Renner can pair down the weight of a Ruger to get it in the class as the Dakota. The Browning/Winchester low wall is also pretty light. Still won't be a Dakota but I could live with any of them especially one as nice as GSPfan's is.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What do you guys think of the triggers on the Low Wall 1885's? both Browning and Winchester...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have one in 7x57 that I love. Had an issue with the extractor called Dakota and they repaired it for free. Great little guns-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by KU_Geo
Any major difference between the Dakota action vs ruger no1?

Forearm hanger?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
bt8897 nice rifle and a awesome caliber, my favorite. I like the reddish pad vs the black you usually see on the Dakota's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 56 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.