Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
erich Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ust got back from bowfishing and smoked four of the carp I arrowed, other than the bones it is as good as any of the smoked fish I've eaten except Lake Michigan smoked chubs/whitefish from the old fish shop on the dock in Port Washington.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 05/12/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoked carp can be very good if the mud line is cut out.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think Rancid Crabtree was the one who said: "Smoked carp is just as good as smoked salmon, when you ain't got no smoked salmon". It seems he was right. Lake trout are still my favorite from the smoker.

erich Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
On these I left the skin on and when I peel the skin to eat the mud line lifts right out with the skin, haven't noticed and bad flavor.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had lots of those as a youngster, as I started smoking I usually went for white fish, sheep head or striped bass

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Nice!

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just threw up in my mouth

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The recipe for carp I was given is for planked carp. You nail the cleaned carp to a piece of hickory, or other suitable wood, and season to taste; after cooking thoroughly on an open campfire you throw the carp away and eat the plank.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
I ust got back from bowfishing and smoked four of the carp I arrowed, other than the bones it is as good as any of the smoked fish I've eaten except Lake Michigan smoked chubs/whitefish from the old fish shop on the dock in Port Washington.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Small 1 1/2 to 3 lb carp are very good smoked.Too oily to cook, but great for smoking

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never ate carp, but there used to be regional carp festivals in the NE where people told me that they served carp cooked in various ways, and they said it was actually pretty good. I always thought they were trash fish. Same with shad.

In the nineties, I remember seeing a TV show promoting tourism to the US for Europeans to travel to the US to catch carp. IIRC, it was primarily Germans. And it showed them using really long and limber poles to cast dough balls. Apparently in some parts of Germany, and elsewhere in Europe, carp isn't considered a trash fish but a delicacy.

On a side note, I remember seeing material in AZ promoting crayfish harvesting. Again, targeted to the Germans. Apparently they like their buggers cold, and not warm.

Anyway, carp are a hoot to catch with young kids. Easy to bait/chum, good fight, and docile when taking the hook out. Like a big goldfish. I once gave a bunch to a Chinese guy I worked with, until he said his freezer was full. Didn't seem like there was much edible flesh, even on the big ones though.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/16/21.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PS - looks good, and I bet it tastes great, erich.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/16/21.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fun to catch on a 5-weight fly rod. Here's a 26" I got.

[Linked Image from i1092.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i1092.photobucket.com]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I smoked one once. It almost covered up the carp taste.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Never ate carp, but there used to be regional carp festivals in the NE where people told me that they served carp cooked in various ways, and they said it was actually pretty good. I always thought they were trash fish. Same with shad.

In the nineties, I remember seeing a TV show promoting tourism to the US for Europeans to travel to the US to catch carp. IIRC, it was primarily Germans. And it showed them using really long and limber poles to cast dough balls. Apparently in some parts of Germany, and elsewhere in Europe, carp isn't considered a trash fish but a delicacy.

On a side note, I remember seeing material in AZ promoting crayfish harvesting. Again, targeted to the Germans. Apparently they like their buggers cold, and not warm.

The first real book on Fishing, written by Izaak Walton, “Tge Complete Angler” was basically about Carp Fishing.
They were and still are considered “sport” fish by Europeans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izaak_Walton

Saw a TV a show a couple of years ago where Europeans pay big money to fish for “Trophy” Carp with a guide in Austin, TX downtown where the river runs through it. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
The recipe for carp I was given is for planked carp. You nail the cleaned carp to a piece of hickory, or other suitable wood, and season to taste; after cooking thoroughly on an open campfire you throw the carp away and eat the plank.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
erich Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
With all the derogatory comments, I wonder how many of the naysayers have actually tried them. I've eaten quite a few in Europe but mostly in the orient and they have been quite tasty. The rest of the world considers them a food fish and they were stocked here for that purpose. But being of European decent I find Northern pike a far better eating fish than the beloved walleye. The only draw back to carp is the bones but I have some Japanese fishbone tweezer that cover that problem.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
prior to WW2 carp were considered a delicacy. served in places like Delmonico's in NYC.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Carp, Iowa Trout"

Lore has it, Germans came to North America, sent back to Germany for carp to stalk them.
Only 6 survived the trip. All the carp on NW America depended from those six.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Erich
Those look fantastic. I've never tried carp. Someone mentioned shad above and that can be excellent when smoked and canned.
May have to try carp..
Apple and alder smoke?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Carp is one of the primary ingredients in Gefilte fish, which I grew up eating and love. Then again, next to Lutefisk, there is probably no other fish dish more polarizing than Gefilte fish.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.