Print Thread
Hop To
S
Stihl27 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I’ve always wanted to go to Alaska to fish and hunt moose. What’s everyone’s experience with this?

BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I've been up that way four times flyfishing for trout and salmon. Always had a blast! I'd love to do a moose hunt up there, but at 64y/o, a solo DYI is now in my rear view, and an outfitted hunt is way above my pay grade.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I did. 1968. Still here! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You can just dream of doing it, and dying with regret.
Or actually go.
I have done 7 DIY bou and moose hunts.
And a guided sheep hunt.
No regrets here

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been there fishing couple times. Caught some salmon and halibut. Fishing was fair, We salmon fished in a river and the fish were just staring to come in. We were probably a week early or the salmon a week late.
Went bowhunting three years ago, with a supposed good moose outfitter. Two of us went. Neither of us got a shot, big disappointment. Could have killed one with a rifle.

NRA Patron
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm on a pretty tight budget but still managed to save enough money to go on two guided moose hunts in AK. so far. Killed a 65" the first trip and a 53" the second trip which was a float hunt.

If a guy really wants to go he'll find a way to save enough money to go. If he doesn't really want to go, he'll find ways to spend the savings before ever going.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska is a place where dreams come true.

I climbed Mount McKinley (when it was still called that) three times. Adventures that I will never forget.

[Linked Image]

And I've gone hunting nine times. All DIY hunts and wouldn't trade the adventures for anything. Always took fishing gear too.

[Linked Image]

But as mentioned previously, I'm now 73. DIY moose hunts are no longer feasible and I can't afford $20,000 for a guided hunt.

I would love to hunt mountain goats on Kodiak. But that too is out of reach since a nonresident has to hire a guide.

I could still probably make a DIY caribou hunt work. If you are still young enough to make a DIY caribou hunt work, you should go while you can. After you've done that, you will be hooked and more DIY hunts will follow.

[Linked Image]

Send me a PM if you want tips for nonresident DIY hunting in AK. I've written an article that might be useful.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My experience with Alaska and specifically Alaskan DIY fishing and hunting trips have been awesome! The only regret I’ve had is that I’ve had to leave that magnificent state. I regretted leaving every single time and eventually, after having investigated around 20 “cities”, towns and villages between my wife and I we decided to buy property in Southeast in the hopes that someday we won’t have to leave.

You won’t regret going. The sooner you get your first Alaskan DIY hunting/fishing adventure under your belt the faster you can get back up there and the more adventures you’ll be able to look back on. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Git er done!

The new Interior Secretary and the proposed BLM Manager are not friendly toward out of area hunters and non-native hunters.
The Feds own 60% of the land in Alaska and are trying to lock out many of us.

Our own Lisa Murkowski will side with the natives.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I'm on a pretty tight budget but still managed to save enough money to go on two guided moose hunts in AK. so far. Killed a 65" the first trip and a 53" the second trip which was a float hunt.

If a guy really wants to go he'll find a way to save enough money to
go.
If he doesn't really want to go, he'll find ways to spend the savings before ever going.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.