Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have tried them they are strong tasting and I don't care for the taste. My Mom and Dad liked the one I smoked. I have had fried White Amur carp. The ones they sell to eat the greenery in ponds and they are good. The native buffalo in the rivers here are very good.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is a good recipe for smoking that fish? Rub, wood, time, temp? Thanks.

erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I use 1 1/2 cup salt, 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1gal water, 1 Tbsp onion powder and 1 Tbsp of black pepper, 12hrs in the brine in the fridge. Keep the temp 125-150 for the first couple hours and them ease it up to 225-250 until it reaches 180 internal about 8hrs total in the smoker. I've been using Hickory. I just scale them now and cut in half or thirds. I quit doing fillets as they get too dry.

Last edited by erich; 05/29/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’ve never eaten carp, but that looks good enough to eat. Lots of Asian carp around here but never heard of anyone eating one. My grandson arrowed about 70 of them, the next time he goes out I’ll ask him to save a small one for me.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think most of the carp eatability issues come from preconceived notions and/or source water.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grew up eating carp and catfish. Way too many people dismiss both as "trash" fish and they are missing out on some good eats. Smoked is good but I like fried the best for either fish. Wife's uncle used to can carp and it was much better than any canned tuna I have ever had.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Catfish good.

Have tried carp a few times.
Removed the mudline.....
Never hasn't sucked.
About as tasty as eel.
Which...I think sucks.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter
Grew up eating carp and catfish. Way too many people dismiss both as "trash" fish and they are missing out on some good eats. Smoked is good but I like fried the best for either fish. Wife's uncle used to can carp and it was much better than any canned tuna I have ever had.

I have eatin carp, small carp is good fried. Catfish is great. I just started canning catfish. Makes great fish cakes or salad like tuna

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We ate a TON of carp and shad in college - chit, it kept us alive for cheap.

They were always fresh out of the Sacramento river (not some dead slough or ditch). We ALWAYS stuck to the smaller fish...

A graduating roommate buddy of ours passed down his secret as he left the party house and my and a buddy moved in.

Fillet, and clean down to good meat. **Lightly** steam or bake the chunks/fillets. Flake the rare, half-cooked meat off all the small bones. Lightly brine the cleaned, white, bone free meat overnight..

Quick, easy smoke the next day just to finish off and add some flavor, and, enjoy.

Last edited by duck911; 06/05/21.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Never ate carp, but there used to be regional carp festivals in the NE where people told me that they served carp cooked in various ways, and they said it was actually pretty good. I always thought they were trash fish. Same with shad.

In the nineties, I remember seeing a TV show promoting tourism to the US for Europeans to travel to the US to catch carp. IIRC, it was primarily Germans. And it showed them using really long and limber poles to cast dough balls. Apparently in some parts of Germany, and elsewhere in Europe, carp isn't considered a trash fish but a delicacy.

On a side note, I remember seeing material in AZ promoting crayfish harvesting. Again, targeted to the Germans. Apparently they like their buggers cold, and not warm.

The first real book on Fishing, written by Izaak Walton, “Tge Complete Angler” was basically about Carp Fishing.
They were and still are considered “sport” fish by Europeans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izaak_Walton

Saw a TV a show a couple of years ago where Europeans pay big money to fish for “Trophy” Carp with a guide in Austin, TX downtown where the river runs through it. 🤪

Interesting post. I did a search and found this, which mentioned your points and some more:

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2006/mar/ed_3/

I found this interesting from the link:

"The carp is indigenous to Asia, being introduced to Europe by the 13th century, the east coast of the United States by 1877 and to Texas by 1881. Surprisingly, the introduction of carp to the United States was not illegal or unintentional, but was federal government policy at the time.

Under the auspices of the Republican administration of Ulysses S. Grant, the idea of distributing carp throughout the United States was envisioned and subsequently carried out under successive Republican administrations (Rutherford B. Hayes and Chester A. Arthur). It was reasoned that the introduction of carp would provide a cheap and readily available food source for the country’s growing population."

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Interesting post. I did a search and found this, which mentioned your points and some more:

https://tpwmagazine.com/archive/2006/mar/ed_3/

I found this interesting from the link:

"The carp is indigenous to Asia, being introduced to Europe by the 13th century, the east coast of the United States by 1877 and to Texas by 1881. Surprisingly, the introduction of carp to the United States was not illegal or unintentional, but was federal government policy at the time.

Under the auspices of the Republican administration of Ulysses S. Grant, the idea of distributing carp throughout the United States was envisioned and subsequently carried out under successive Republican administrations (Rutherford B. Hayes and Chester A. Arthur). It was reasoned that the introduction of carp would provide a cheap and readily available food source for the country’s growing population."

And this:

"As America became more industrialized and pollution of the waterways increased, the carp was able to tolerate these conditions better than most other fish and hence was able to do reasonably well. Unfortunately, carp soon became synonymous with pollution in the minds of many people."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
But being of European decent I find Northern pike a far better eating fish than the beloved walleye.

And more fun to catch, but I like pike and tigers as well.

A pike, and carp, at least give a good fight. Walleye are like pulling in a snag or water logged piece of wood off the bottom grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.