Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
What’s your experience? The problems I’ve read about seem to involve very light pull weights. I’m not interested in going below 2 pounds.

I do hunt in cold nasty weather at times

I have one that was made around 2004-5 and had no issues but haven’t fired a lot of rounds or hunted it a lot

Thanks

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I know a couple guys with big hands who have trouble with the Accutrigger. They somehow touch the trigger before pulling the center tab and that trips the trigger, which is exactly what is supposed to happen. I only worry about using an Accutrigger when I am wearing heavy gloves for that reason. Haven't had a problem so far though.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mine is the competition model set pretty light for an informal benchrest shoot.

It was necessary for me to change the spring for the center blade to something lighter when it got to the real light settings. It seems like the springs have to match, in a way. Just something from the hardware store.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The only time the accutrigger has issues is when someone monkey's around with it and tries to go too light. Like someone else said, keep it above 2 pounds and you will be just fine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Savage model 10 in 223 not long after the Accu-Trigger came out. Everything worked normally for the first 500 rounds or so. After that I had trouble with the trigger tripping and getting caught by the lever if I worked the action fast. I looked into the trigger adjustment, and found it had been shipped set at the lightest. I ended up adjusting the pull weight up to the highest to make the problem go away. At that setting the trigger is still O. K., but not what it was. I decided that I didn't want this trigger on a hunting rifle, but it was fine for a range toy.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only have one rifle with an accutrigger and it's been great. So much so that I haven't even fiddled with it. Breaks at about 2.5 lbs. on a Lyman digital trigger gauge. Although I will admit that its never been out in real nasty, cold weather.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I own two Savages, both with Accutriggers. These are the best triggers on any production rifles I own. Most recent is on a Savage 110 Ultralite 6.5 PRC, set at 2.0 lbs., as crisp and creep-free as a trigger can get.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I use em

Savage target actions

P/dog rigs

They will lighten up with use of course

Re adjustment will be necsssary

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I know a couple guys with big hands who have trouble with the Accutrigger. They somehow touch the trigger before pulling the center tab and that trips the trigger, which is exactly what is supposed to happen. I only worry about using an Accutrigger when I am wearing heavy gloves for that reason. Haven't had a problem so far though.

Yep, but even then the firing pin won't drop--which is one reason for the Accu-Trigger in the first place. It can be easily set to a pretty light pull, without the rifle going bang accidentally--as it can with some other triggers when they're set too light, or "modified" by home gunsmiths.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you secure the blade back and just have a normal trigger or does it change something inside? I had a mossberg with the same type of trigger and I pulled the blade back flush with the trigger and with the cutout on the blade I just slid a piece of plastic through it to hold it in place, cycled the bolt and pulled the trigger, it seemed like it would have worked but didn't try to fire a round through it. Just wanted to see if it would work better this way when time came that I had gloves on and might to be able to feel the blade.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best way I have found to tune an Accutrigger is to take it out , heave it into the trash and install a Rifle Basix or a Tmney!
I found out while shooting a Savage with gloves on last winter that it is very easy for that trigger to fail to engage if you are wearing heavy gloves.
I think it has something to do with the engagement of the primary shoe , and keeping in tension on the secondary trigger .
You hear a click but no bang!
Hate the danged things , I have used Savage rifles for years
in competition and like to build off them, the First Thing to go is the trigger group!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05/29/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
The best way I have found to tune an Accutrigger is to take it out, heave it into the trash and install a Rifle Basix or a Timney!...I have used Savage rifles for years in competition and like to build off them, the First Thing to go is the trigger group!

Cat

I agree, and also think Savage rifles are great platforms on which to build. Remember when everyone was dumping on Savage because of the ugly barrel nut? That was the Internets in action. Not a lot of original thinking, and a silly thing to complain about. Since then, other companies decided to mimic Savage's easy to headspace and change barrel design. The aftermarket barrel companies do a good business selling Savage Prefits. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My only trouble with the trigger was getting the springs out of balance by adjusting too much.
If I adjust the main spring weight down, lower than the spring weight on the center blade they don't work...

I like them and have used them for years on hunting rifles (243, 30-06, 338-06 7mag ) and four Varmint For Score rifles in 6mmbr and a 30br.

The Rifle Basix and SSS triggers have worked well on my pre -accutrigger Savages.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by catnthehat
The best way I have found to tune an Accutrigger is to take it out, heave it into the trash and install a Rifle Basix or a Timney!...I have used Savage rifles for years in competition and like to build off them, the First Thing to go is the trigger group!

Cat

I agree, and think Savage rifles are great on which to build. Remember when everyone was dumping on Savage because of the ugly barrel nut? That was the Internets in action. Not a lot of original thinking, and a silly thing to complain about. Since then, other companies decided to mimic Savage's easy to headspace and change barrel design. The aftermarket barrel companies do a good business selling Savage Prefits. laugh

The barrel nut is the nicest looking part of a Savage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 16 Weather Warrior 22-250 trigger is set at 2.5 lbs and it is used the most in the cold season of Wisconsin and UP Michigan coyote hunting. January and February temps can be subzero and I resort to trigger finger mittens. They are bulky but no issues experienced.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had four or five Savages with the Accu-trigger. No problems and a very crisp trigger pull. I have big hands and don't have problems with the trigger. However, I have not used any of my Savage rifles in really cold weather. You must be very familiar with your weapon or you might have trouble.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Can you secure the blade back and just have a normal trigger or does it change something inside?

Yes, you can even remove the blade but you'll lose the safety of it too.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colodog
My only trouble with the trigger was getting the springs out of balance by adjusting too much.
If I adjust the main spring weight down, lower than the spring weight on the center blade they don't work...

I like them and have used them for years on hunting rifles (243, 30-06, 338-06 7mag ) and four Varmint For Score rifles in 6mmbr and a 30br.

The Rifle Basix and SSS triggers have worked well on my pre -accutrigger Savages.

I agree. I will keep the ones that have accutriggers as is. The older ones that didn't have them, get Timneys. The only gripe I have about the accutrigger is it feels different when I take 4 different rifles to the range and shoot one after the other. When I get to the Savage with accutrigger, it feels enough different that I don't like it. If I'm only shooting that rifle that day, it doesn't bother me. Absolutely no reason to change/swap out an accutrigger for a Timney or Rifle basix.
Originally Posted by roundoak
My 16 Weather Warrior 22-250 trigger is set at 2.5 lbs and it is used the most in the cold season of Wisconsin and UP Michigan coyote hunting. January and February temps can be subzero and I resort to trigger finger mittens. They are bulky but no issues experienced.

I've found 2.5 pounds to be a great trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle. Savage accutrigger included..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by colodog

I've found 2.5 pounds to be a great trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle. Savage accutrigger included..

I prefer my match rifles to be between 12 and 14 ounces, and you can't get that reliably with an accutrigger.
I don't hunt with my savage rifles, I compete with them.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Can you secure the blade back and just have a normal trigger or does it change something inside? I had a mossberg with the same type of trigger and I pulled the blade back flush with the trigger and with the cutout on the blade I just slid a piece of plastic through it to hold it in place, cycled the bolt and pulled the trigger, it seemed like it would have worked but didn't try to fire a round through it. Just wanted to see if it would work better this way when time came that I had gloves on and might to be able to feel the blade.

One of the fat fingered guys I mentioned earlier cut a short piece of toothpick and used it to hold back the tab. Not sure I would recommend this practice. I believe the Accutrigger is the best lawyer proof trigger going. If not so, why did so many companies copy it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 73 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.