Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16125367 05/29/21
S
Stihl27 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
How many of you get board and start walking slowly thro the woods? I may sit for a hr then gotta get up and move get so cold sometimes as well. I’ve shot more deer walking than sitting.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Walking vs sneaking....
Take 4 or 5 slow and quiet steps then stand still for 30 sconds to a minute

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
When I was younger I hunted that way often. I have killed several deer taking a few steps and looking for a while. My dad pretty much always.hunted that way. Killed my 2nd biggest buck in the Ozark National Forest moving slowly and stopping for a while at fresh deer sign. The trick is to never set up a rythym. Take a few steps and stop so you sound like an animal in the woods. Hunt with your eyes to the edge of where you can see. It requires patience to do well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Everyone use to call that still hunting.Still do I guess. Probably 90% of those who do,move too fast

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Everyone use to call that still hunting.Still do I guess. Probably 90% of those who do,move too fast

Still hunting is my preferred method on my home area that I have hunted for 40 years.
If I am hunting as a guest down south, I follow my host's instructions!
I have spent a few hunts in a box blind. And in a ground blind , but prefer to still hunt .
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my method also. of course these days walking through the woods doesn't take into account your feed plot and all the associated modern deer hunting factors.

Last edited by wahoo; 05/29/21.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find it less boring than sitting.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Still hunting and snow tracking is the way I was taught. Been hunting that way my whole life. Now that I'm getting older, I'll stop and sit for 15-20 minutes to stretch out my back. Other than that, I detest the thought of sitting in one place all day.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
I get bored too. Cant stare at the same trees for hours if there arent deer, squirrels, birds, something to watch. Have shot several deer while walking slowly to a "better" spot.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a good still hunt a couple of weeks ago. Was turkey hunting, and trying to hunt one up. What I found was deer. Coulda filled the freezer, IF I was deer hunting. Even the one that saw me must watched me sidle off without spooking.

Very seldom is my hunting area free enough from human activity to make the technique effective and safe. Not only hunters, but dog walkers and folks just out for stroll pop up even pretty far back. I have popped a couple with my crossbow sneaking in and out of the place I wanted to sit and watch from, both pretty close shots. Both of those deer saw me, but thought they were invisible. Wrong!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Not only do I walk/sneak. But the last elk I took was immediately following my use of the backwoods facilities. Always wondered if that might happen someday. It did.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is my preferred way to hunt. Sometimes you can’t make it work and have to s as it and wait tho

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Taken many more deer when still hunting
Get cold and have to move a little.
If I can sit in a ground blind, not in the open like a tree stand or beside a tree I can sit much longer.
The last 2 years the ground blind has worked for me.
The blind isn't on a food plot or feeder, but covers a creek bottom.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The biggest buck that I know about which was a solid B&C animal was taken because the guy got tired of sitting and walked over the hill to have a cigarette out of the wind. I think that lots of the oldest, smartest deer don't go walking where most of us do our posting where we can see a ways. That or after a few years, they go completely nocturnal and we don't see them unless we happen to walk into them bedded down somewhere. I've found some of my best sitting spots when I was walking because I wasn't learning any new area by just sitting in the same old spot. Sure I've killed a few nice bucks walking around, but I've decided that I'm a tad clumsy doing that and those deer probably deserved to be removed from the gene pool.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I intentionally set out that way. it will take me several hours to cover a few hundred yards through a woodlot. kill a bunch of deer most guys wont ever see

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I've always walked slowly into a ground sit area. Walk super slow always watching way ahead. The natural [bleep] always brings out a deer. I've sat in stone piles with tall weeds, nod off. 90% of the time wake up to a nice buck. I'm not a snorer lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Love to make me a walk. It has worked very well for me. Kill deer and hogs regularly when "walking"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tried still hunting a few times while rifling. Not for me; too impatient and I walk way too fast.

-Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just like fishing, I prefer a mountain stream to sitting in a boat.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Most walk way too fast, especially in downed timber. Most of the deer I have killed have been while "still hunting", most of the elk sitting still. I can sit in the same place from well before dawn until dark. Of course you have to sit in the "right" place. Most of the area I hunt in, I have been hunting for years. They come out in the same openings now, as they did 20-30-40 years ago.

Last edited by elkmen1; 06/03/21.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.