-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a 50 cal TC Black Diamond XR. It's on the short list for my wife's antelope hunt in CO this year. My problem is i have been using side hammers since the mid 80s but have never used an inline. So, in an attempt to shorten the learning curve in developing a load, i was hoping someone here may be able to get me in the ball park. CO constraints are no scopes, no palletized powder, and no sabots (power belts are okay).

I have the ability to cast TC Maxi balls, i have 30 245g Powerbelt HP bullets, plenty of Federal primers, Pyrodex RS and RS select, and Alliant Black MX.

I sure appreciate you wisdom and help.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hi. I came across the same issue when I drew a 2020 elk mzldr tag. My wife just drew a 2021 elk mzldr tag, so same deal.

It's a rough year to find different bullets to experiment but you're probably OK with the PowerBelts. The T/C Black Diamond is a well made rifle even with the exposed breech system. The fast rate of twist rifling and the silly QLA at the muzzle are the main drawbacks, in my opinion, to finding an accurate load for a full-bore diameter projectile. Bullet selection shouldn't be as critical for antelope as elk. For PowerBelts, don't launch them too fast but they should perform just fine. Start with 80-grains and see what sort of accuracy you get on paper. If the PBs don't perform or you run out, Maxi-Balls would certainly get the job done if accuracy is there. If you get in a pinch, No Excuses makes good conicals. I have a supply of Federal BorLocks my wife will be shooting.

For what it's worth, I had a local machinist turn off the QLA and re-crown both of our inline rifles. It wasn't that expensive and the accuracy improved. I actually ended up using my Lyman .54 cal flintlock and got the job done.

Also, I'm a big peep sight fan. I left my scope mounted for load development then removed the scope and installed the peep sight for pre-season practice.

Good luck to your other half and enjoy the hunt. DJB

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Dave,
I really appreciate your time and help. Do you have a recommendation for a peep sight on this rifle? She's a lefty and has a Lyman peep on her 54 which we may end up using if i cant get this one shooting.

The TC is borrowed so...no trimming. And we both have muzzleloading licenses (i have a bear) so having an ambidextrous rifle is appealing about this TC.

Thanks again for the help.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
See now your in Co so xtp wont help you.. PB might be your best bet if you can get them to shoot w/QLA.

good load is 80-100 gr pyrodex rs with 240 gr xtp w/green sabot, has shot good in every Black Diamond or Firehawk Ive owned or still own. Sabots load a little stiff but are always accurate..if you cant find the xtps/sabots might place ad on here asking for some.
Powerbelts may be accurate in it if so wouldnt load them real hot stay below 100 gr of powder especially with lighter PB.

Last edited by dbowling; 05/30/21.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
After you take the scope off after load deveopment as previously suggested XS Sights makes a reciever sight that fits on the scope base. You probably will need a taller front sight.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
A Black Diamond was my 2nd muzzle loader. DO NOT USE BH 209 powder in it. Be aware that both 777 and Pyrodex degrades after awhile. I finally threw out everything I had left for the previous year and bought new.Then I went back to good black powder like Goex.

I would certainly step up in bullet weight to either a Powerdbelt, 300gr Platinum or 348 gr Aerolite of HP for elk 80-90 gr of powder max. Platinums are advertised to get deeper penetration. Those lighter bullets will flatten out or come apart a lot quicker on you. I found my Black Diamond would not shoot Maxiballs very well, If the one you have does, they are perfectly adequate. I killed a few elk with them with my Hawkin sidelock. Any heavier powder charge and you will have to step up to a tougher bullet

With 3 muzzle loaders,all with the QLA, all shot fine

I used the Williams peep sight, but found I had to change the front sight height.

One thing to be careful of is to keep the breech plug well greased with anti-sieze,. It is even a good idea to at least loosen and re-tighten after 4-5 firings

Here is cow elk I shot with my BD that ended up in a beaver pond.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com].

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/30/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

One thing to be careful of is to keep the breech plug well greased with anti-sieze,.

Only thing I'd add is, teflon tape works even better and it's less messy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by saddlesore

One thing to be careful of is to keep the breech plug well greased with anti-sieze,.

Only thing I'd add is, teflon tape works even better and it's less messy.

Forgot about that

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the continued ideas. I hadn't though about lubing the breach plug then my brother (it's his rifle) mentioned it today. Anti-sieze is a great idea.

I figured the 245g power-belts would be plenty for antelope out to 150yds. Not sure about the bear, i really like to have an exit on Sept bears since they can have so much fat and don't always leave much blood. I had a .54 430g Maxi not exit a bear on a 75 yards spine shot. Of course it dropped and never moved.

Nice cow Saddlesore, bummer she fell in the muck and mud of a beaver pond.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are thinking 15o yards, I believe you are going to have to up the charge and maybe go to better/tougher bullet. The lower charge posted is going to have rainbow trajectory at that distance.

Darn cow was laying in the pond, still alive . I had to head shoot her ..Then had to take off my boots and pants,wade out into that muck. I had a lead rope and a short piece of chain with me that I had used to tie a rope eating mule with.The two were long enough to get a rope on the elk's head and the other end over the sawbuck.The mule could just barely pull the elk out and up over the damn.Where she is shown is where the mule gave up on me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another bullet worth trying is the Hornady FPB. Comes in 300 and 350 grain. Can be hard to start in some guns, but if it fits yours, it’s a good one. The 300 would kick a bit less. There’s also the Federal Bore Lock (or whatever it’s called) and a similar product from Hornady, I think.

Nothing wrong with going with the one you know either, especially if you have a lot of trouble with the inline.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ditto on the Blackhorn 209 as a no-go powder.
Federal BORlocks would be a good choice for antelope if you can find them.
Williams should make sights for the round receiver.
Yep, might need to adjust the height of the front sight or fight with some shims.
XS makes excellent sights but not sure they have one for a round T/C receiver.
Good luck

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes, Williams has sights for the round receiver. Here is the one I had with one mounted.I replaced the plastic stock with a stock I made.Shimming the front sight did not work well. I has one screw holding it on and I could not get it solid.
I order a taller FO sight, cut the fiber off and carefully filed the remaining metal to a blade type front sight.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/31/21.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great help, thank you. I'll try to get out tomorrow AM as the rain (im not complaining) has stopped.

O
O
"

"Another bullet worth trying is the Hornady FPB. Comes in 300 and 350 grain."

The FPB is an excellent bullet that loads easily in guns with a QLA. Set the bullet in the QLA, give the short starter a hard rap, then it loads easily. My Encore is sighted in for the 350 grain FPB and 140 grains of Black MZ powder, i've stomped some big hogs with that bullet.

Last year a friend borrowed the Encore to hunt elk. The huge 6X6 elk was hit in the heart lung area from 75 yards, went about 30 yards, fell over and expired.

Last edited by Okiehog; 06/12/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
try the Federal Trophy copper bulets as well

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All,
Are the power belts supposed to touch or slightly engrave the rifling? The ones we are using do not.

My wife accidentally loaded a bullet sans powder . When i got the bullet out i noticed there was no evidence of the rifling.

Thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.