Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
After not hunting much for the last few years, I’m ramping up to hit it this year.

I live in the Pacific Northwest in Kennewick WA on the dry side of WA.

I’m looking for a general purpose hunting jacket. Temps range from 30-60*F and although this side is a desert, snow or rain is always in play.

Suggestions?

Backpack or camper hunting.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag.Good question.

Last edited by JD45; 05/30/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Best?

Layers...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Top layer then.

John Stark.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Top [outside] layer that is always in my pack will handle rain/wet snow, be breathable, have pit zips and a stow away hood. Marmot Precip works for occasional use and is probably the best value in outdoor gear that I have found.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the Kuiu Guide jacket for that role.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

* A N Y *.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I agree....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GregW

I agree....

I also agree

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Left mamma a Father’s Day hint for the kuiu Guide.

Which camo pattern is best?

John Stark.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter

That's a matter of terrain and preference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many choices and I've not tried enough to scratch the surface of options. You are talking about all conditions within a range of possible hypothermia.
That said, I recommend what others already said, but tell you why.

If or when your outer layer of goretex or whatever fails, as anything can, you need to deal with wcs.

Worst Case Scenario is that you are soaked thru and in a bad place, lost direction, or injured, fill in the blanks.
Wool against the skin will retain heat better than anything I am aware of when wet.
Marino is normally comfortable and odor resistant.
Over that, you could go with a fleece or something insulative, but I like wool for mid too, IF the friction is not a factor. It depends on fit and distance walking. Friction means more resistance and fatigue. However the better trade off is breathability and warmth when wet. I like button ups better than pull overs for temp regulation.

IMHO, go from there with the latest greatest favorite camo or blaze. That matters less than old fashioned high tech wool. Jesus made sheep and man made synthetics have their place, but hard to beat the multiple benefits of wool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PS:. If you are backpacking, you need to consider the sweat and ventilation necessary.
While still or packing meat, you must go with zip buttons, or snap mid layers. Think breathable over insulation. Carry an extra layer in the pack for still /stand. When you move with a heavy pack, you'll be tempted to trudge on when you should shed a layer. That is one reason why I described the importance of under layer system trumping outer.

If you like camo, check out the kryptek Highlander.
Best by far over multiple elevations in my opinion.
Mandrake is for warmer weather woodlands...shades of green. The other is three or four seasons. It will shift brown in low light, fall/ winter. The green emerges in that environment.
Colors on fabrics that I'm familiar with change appearance with environment. Break up is amazing.
Some fabrics are drab, while others ( mainly polyester) are reflective slightly, but this is true of other patters and dyes.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/31/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Whichever you prefer. It makes no difference to the animals whether you wear camo or any subdued plain color. They see movement, not colors. All the fancy patterns are to sell gear, not to help you get game.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Best?

Layers...

yep

wool t shirt, wool long sleeve, soft shell, good light rain jacket pit zips. marmot or kuiu, , soft shell vest, good boots, I like a light fleece hoody by kuiu, gaiters, prana Zions or Walmart wrangler pants.

if you're rifle hunting no Camo is needed. muted colors and you're wearing blaze orange anyway

Last edited by ribka; 06/01/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have KUIU and Sitka gear, choices often come down to which fits best. I have a KUIU guide jacket and really like it, you can't beat the stretch material when you are on the go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I've not pulled the trigger on it, the HPG windcheater checks a whole lot of boxes for me:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/4/ProductID/57

The Kuiu Guide (thanks for that suggestion) looks to check alot of those same boxes, I'm just wonder if it's too warm for what I'm looking for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer the Sitka Jetstream over the Guide Jacket. Seems warmer and blocks the wind better than the Guide.

Do or do not, there is no try.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the biggest outer layer shell I can get. I found one on sale many years ago and it has been down the grand canyon and up the divide with me. Worth it's weight in gold.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There seems to be a bias toward Kuiu vs Sitka Gear? Is there a real difference?

John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
I prefer the Sitka Jetstream over the Guide Jacket. Seems warmer and blocks the wind better than the Guide.

Me too.

I'd also throw in the Sitka Stratus jkt. It has a Reg fit vs the Perf fit of the Jetstream.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is the solid color comment valid for turkeys? We're new to the turkey hunting game, but have been told they can see all colors and shades.

Full camo or not for them?

I have surplus military Gore-Tex in BDU (woodland), ABU (sage), ACU (old Army digital camo) and OCP (new joint service fleck camo). If I don't need to buy more gear for the sake of more gear, I won't.

Brad, hard copy on layering. I'm all in on that.

John Stark.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Really liking the Kuiu Guide Jacket. I am 6'1", 175 lb., and it fits snugly with a couple of layers, but not uncomfortably so. I bought the Large size, would do so again.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like the Sitka Jetstream, mine ran small so I bought an XL instead of L. I carry a puffy in my pack for sitting any length of time, as well as the Sitka Dewpoint rain gear (very light). Have used these extensively in a number of locations and am very happy with this outfit.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don’t have any experience with Sitka gear though I hear the warranty is excellent.

I have a few guide jackets and really like them. I have XL’s for early-mid season hunting and a XXL for late season (6’/175).

Pitter Patter!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GregW

I agree....

If you are set on a jacket, the Kuiu all seasons guide jacket is the one without the hoodie. I am not a fan of hoodies because I prefer to outfit with beanies and what not.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like to use Kuiu solids that blend in with the environment and also can be worn in public without displaying the camo look.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As to the hood, before I got the Sitka Jetstream several years ago, I didn’t like a jacket with a hood. This one, however, changes my mind. I find it very useful after hiking to a spot I want to sit, especially in a breeze, as it is very well designed and protects my neck.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David
Don’t overlook the Kuiu Axis jacket either especially if much rain or snow might be encountered. I have had both the guide and axis and while the guide is nice the axis is awesome.
I use the Axis when in colder/wet weather and normally just run a peloton 240 as my regular top layer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

How’s the sizing? True or a bit small or?

John Stark.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I normally size up when ordering Kuiu jackets by 1 size. I have an XL axis and had an XL guide jacket and both fit good with layers under. I wear a L sweatshirt in everyday life.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I love the kuiu guide jacket. I’ve found the vias works well in rocky terrain where the verde works great in the timber and tundra. I have no opinion on that valo pattern.

I will say that the guide jacket is a good jacket.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 805
I normally size up when ordering Kuiu jackets by 1 size. I have an XL axis and had an XL guide jacket and both fit good with layers under. I wear a L sweatshirt in everyday life.

I had to size up in the guide jacket. That is definetly good advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 805

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
unfortunately there is no one jacket that's going to the trick; too many variables in weather and too many variable throughout the day big game hunting- hiking up a steep ridge vs sitting and glassing are polar opposites of what's needed

the best jacket in the rain/wet snow is a good rain jacket (my preference is the Sitka Dewpoint- lightweight, but still fully featured and durable)

the best jacket on the move is a good active layer jacket (my preference is the sadly now discontinued Patagonia Nano Light- extremely breathable, fast drying and warm while moving)

the best jacket glassing is a good warm puffy jacket (my preference is Nunatak's custom Apex insulated PCT jacket- can select how much insulation, sleeve lengths, overall length, fabric, etc)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll throw the First Lite Catalyst in for consideration. It's quiet, handles a little wet weather, tough, has a little stretch for easy movement and insulates well in the temperature range given. I have a Sitka Dakota Hoodie but it would be way to warm for the 30*-60* temperature range specified.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
All of the brands previously mentioned are all great brands but take a look at skre brand.

I bought the hardscrabble two years ago and it’s been a solid jacket that you can layer with. It’s got put zips and high quality zippers along with great range of motion and is wind proof. Great price on it too when. Compared it to the other brands. They also have a size guarantee if it doesn’t fit they pay for the shipping for the switch out.

https://skregear.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqaPchbyD8QIVRAytBh1aYgGBEAAYASAAEgIIDPD_BwE

Last edited by Boxerdog; 06/06/21.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Kuiu Guide Jacket with a light weight down jacket stuffed into a small bag and a Kuiu rain shell. Will fit any weather.

Last edited by Orchemo; 06/20/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After not hunting much for the last few years, I’m ramping up to hit it this year.

I live in the Pacific Northwest in Kennewick WA on the dry side of WA.

I’m looking for a general purpose hunting jacket. Temps range from 30-60*F and although this side is a desert, snow or rain is always in play.

Suggestions?

Backpack or camper hunting.

David Walter,
What I said before about layering with wool isn't nearly as important still hunting near your camper. You've got shelter from rain. As to a particular camo for.bow season, I would look into this versatile pattern. It has the ability to show some green with strong light in a green season. It reverts to the browns and tan in winter like shown. If you want more green for warm months, go with the Mandrake version.
Always remember the trade offs and you will likely be a happy shopper.
Polyesters reflect more than natural fibers and most nylons. An identical pattern will reveal sooner with polyester than the exact same in the others. Dyes have something to do with it too, but fabric is most important.
Solid wool earth tones can be ghillied with vegetation tie ons. If you don't move, you'll remain unseen when set up right. Those are general rules with some exceptions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d rather have a marmot precip and a $26 dollar synthetic puffy from Walmart Swiss tech brand than any one of the high dollar kuiu/sitka/whatever else is trending. Versatile and should cover most of your temperatures you mentioned especially with base layering.

Actually that is what I hunt with. I have a big down puffy for real cold.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the boutique brands but just one of them wouldn’t work that great for me. I don’t think the performance justifies the price of them either but we all have different budgets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In the situation the OP is referring to I usually just have a plaid shirt, with the heaviness dependent upon time of year.

If rain is expected I will put on a heavy wool shirt with raingear (usually cheaper stuff, but I am expanding my horizons). Kifaru Lost Park Parka if it is windy and cold.

I am intrigued to see what others use and recommend though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I've not pulled the trigger on it, the HPG windcheater checks a whole lot of boxes for me:

The Kuiu Guide (thanks for that suggestion) looks to check alot of those same boxes, I'm just wonder if it's too warm for what I'm looking for.

I’ve got a HPG Windcheater, it’s a good outer layer for the high desert where I live. It is not water resistant beyond shedding a few drops which limits it’s usefulness. I generally carry a Marmot Precip jacket, it is a good combination of light, packable, mostly waterproof, and affordable.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We climbed Kilimanjaro with a Precip and a REI puffy jacket for 95% of the climb. Only time we needed warmer was at night and at the morning trek to the summit.

The sun going down at 15,000 feet in a desert causes the temps to plummet.

John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There is no jacket that will be a one and done deal for 30-60 degree temperature swings. Heck, in 50 degrees I’m in a t shirt while 30 degrees would completely depend on wether I was moving or sitting still.

For sitting around, I’ve yet to find anything as good as a kifaru lost park pullover. The kuiu guide jackets are ok for relatively low activity stuff but you aren’t going to hike much with one and like most other soft shells, the kuiu guide jacket isn’t very packable. It rarely makes the cut for me in terms of back pack hunts.

For me I like to have base layers, some sort of t shirt, a heavier fleece type layer and a shell, the puffy jacket is packed away for when I’m not moving. I’ve even started to really appreciate simple wind shirts just to cut wind while I’m hiking and don’t need insulation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by pointer

I’ve got a HPG Windcheater, it’s a good outer layer for the high desert where I live. It is not water resistant beyond shedding a few drops which limits it’s usefulness. I generally carry a Marmot Precip jacket, it is a good combination of light, packable, mostly waterproof, and affordable.

Thanks for that info! The ability to stop water is towards the bottom of priorities for me, but being able to dry relatively quickly is closer to the top. Heck, I've not been that disappointed in a 20yr old Microtex jacket from Cabelas...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sika is owned by Gore Technologies and has some pretty good water and wind proof fabrics but tends to be about 20% more expensive than KUIU. KUIU uses mostly Torrey fabrics and has great stretch materials. I have more KUIU than Sitka, mostly because of the fit. I wear solids on the bottom and camo up top. I wear solid KUIU Attack pants everywhere, hiking, hunting, etc. Very comfortable and 4 way stretch. I'm also a big fan of the Guide jacket. I'm an XL and the Guide XL fits but I'm a xxl in other KUIU jackets.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sitka JetStream is a great jacket. Highly recommend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of my hunting outerwear is GameHide. Very good quality at a reasonable price. And great to deal with if you order directly from them. I have one of their Flatland parkas (and some other articles) that I think I paid more for a few years ago than it's selling for now.

https://gamehide.com/product/insulated-mid-weight-flatland-parka-92z/

Their sizes run a bit big. I usually order a 3X in a jacket and theirs is roomy.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 08/02/21.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The KUIU Kenai is worth a look also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
In the situation the OP is referring to I usually just have a plaid shirt, with the heaviness dependent upon time of year.

If rain is expected I will put on a heavy wool shirt with raingear (usually cheaper stuff, but I am expanding my horizons). Kifaru Lost Park Parka if it is windy and cold.

I am intrigued to see what others use and recommend though.

Kifaru LPP is phenomenal in the cold.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,978
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.