Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The other night I tuned in to Wille's Road House on the Sirius. I like to listen to some of the country classics.
They were live from the Grand Ol Opry, and for a guest they had Jeannie Seely. Said she had been a member of the Grand Ol Opry for over 50 years.

Well, I never heard of her, 50 years ago I wasn't listening to Grand Ol Opry.
She spoke for several minutes, she was hard to understand. Voice very scratchy, really, she had lost most of her speaking voice. Well you have to give her credit for stepping foot on stage after all, she is 80 years old.
I thought she was going to introduce the next act.
No, the "next act" was Jeannie Seely. She started to "sing" a song and it was pathetic. She lost her voice a long long time ago. She sounded horrible.

Why do they put a washed up old star on the air? I am sure that, 55 years ago she was a good looking gal in Nashville and could sing well.

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The Opry lost an age discrimination suit a while back. I don't know that is the specific reason in the case you're referring to.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vince Gill sang Look at Us to my parents on their 50th anniversary last time I was there. Nice theater compared to the Ryman.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same reason folks post Linda Rhonstadt videos on Friday night music threads.

All you know is all you know.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’ll be in Grand Ole Opry parking lot in the morning tomorrow but, I’m going to BassPro

lol

I need a driver 😃

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The Grand Ol Opry's days are long in the past, it's just a tourist attraction for geezers any more. The last time I was there, about 15 years ago, maybe 10% of the seats were filled and most of those were folks in their 70's and 80's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I was at The opry it was Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood .

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It ain't been worth going to, since Roy Acuff and Little Jimmy Dickens were spit roasting Minnie Pearl backstage

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by auk1124
It ain't been worth going to, since Roy Acuff and Little Jimmy Dickens were spit roasting Minnie Pearl backstage

STFU.....Terrible mental picture there................now I'm going to have bad dreams.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AZmark

STFU.....Terrible mental picture there................now I'm going to have bad dreams.

I've got no knowledge about Minnie's proclivities, but the Grand Ol' Opry folks, in general, were wild types. My Dad was hanging with the Midwestern Hayride (WLW in Cincinnati) crowd back in the day. Folks came up from Nashville all the time for guest appearances. Dad said there were wild times.

I had the inspiration several years ago to resurrect the idea of Midwestern Hayride idea when I had an association with a fellow that owned a hillbilly bar and was drawing crowds from 3 states. He had some really good acts coming in, and it wouldn't have been all that hard to record the shows. Crickets. Nobody wanted it. That hillbilly bar is now a garage.

From what I understand, the Hee Haw reboot got shelved for lack of interest as well. Anyone hear anything about that?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No HEE HAW because Buck & Roy ded.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

😄😄😄😄😄

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The last couple live shows I went to, most of the crowd watched the band through their phone screen as they recorded the show. So, there's your reason you can't market a regular show. They'll.just watch youtube.

The real talent in country these days doesn't make it on pop radio anyway. Nobody ever heard of Sierra Ferrell or Like Bell. They would have been huge if born sixty years ago.

Old Crow Medicine Show is on the Opry I think. Absolutely worth catching them on tour.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 05/31/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Country taint Country no more! The kids don’t know s hit from shineola!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like Texas Red Dirt music, somewhat like the old stuff. Cody Jinks sounds like the old stars.

Last edited by hanco; 05/31/21.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by AZmark

I've got no knowledge about Minnie's proclivities, but the Grand Ol' Opry folks, in general, were wild types. My Dad was hanging with the Midwestern Hayride (WLW in Cincinnati) crowd back in the day. Folks came up from Nashville all the time for guest appearances. Dad said there were wild times.

I had the inspiration several years ago to resurrect the idea of Midwestern Hayride idea when I had an association with a fellow that owned a hillbilly bar and was drawing crowds from 3 states. He had some really good acts coming in, and it wouldn't have been all that hard to record the shows. Crickets. Nobody wanted it. That hillbilly bar is now a garage.

From what I understand, the Hee Haw reboot got shelved for lack of interest as well. Anyone hear anything about that?

Some things just need to die.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The “Old” Grand Ol Opry” was great,

“But when you cross that ol' Red River hoss
That just don't mean a thing
Once youre down in Texas
Bob Wills is still the king.”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When you have chicken heads singing WAP and gaysians singing butter theres no place for country anymore.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I spit coffee all over my screen on that one!

Yeah, Minnie was never much of a looker, even as a young lady.

[Linked Image]

But sometimes the homely ones are tthe most appreciative of male attention...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,295 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.