Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Time to buy a new bait caster for bass fishing. Been thinking of a Daiwa Tatula Elite 100. Like to keep the price under $250. I could spend a little more if the performance was worth it.
Thoughts?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have a baitcaster I really like. I bought it at the Fisherman's Factory Outlet in Sprite Lake, Iowa,reconditioned, for under fifty dollars.

It's in Wabigoon, and I'm not.

What I like about it is, the release is thumb handy.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at the Shimano Curado . I got one for fathers day last year and love it , very smooth .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a Lew's fan but there are lot's of good reels nowadays.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Time to buy a new bait caster for bass fishing. Been thinking of a Daiwa Tatula Elite 100. Like to keep the price under $250. I could spend a little more if the performance was worth it.
Thoughts?

Big Diawa Tatula fan. Have 3 of them now. Great reel for the money

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My two cents worth.....Reels begin and end with Shimano.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ky221

The good ones do! They just seem to outlast and out perform all the others. Some Shimano's are hard to find right now. I wanted a Tranx 200 or 300 with low gears but I was unable to find one online or locally. I was able to find a Curado 200K and hopefully it will be here in a few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know it's not bas fishing, but you know how rough fishing for reds on the Kenai is on gear. I've been using a Tatula 200 for a couple years and it's held up beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

You have posted to many pictures of your musky fishing for anyone to question your fishing ability and musky fishing is hard on tackle....

My musky reels while seldom used is......ABU GARCIA. The Abu Garcia round reels win the the European casting distance championships every year......in excess of 3 football fields. The round reels are heavily customized yet round reels just the same.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

You have posted to many pictures of your musky fishing for anyone to question your fishing ability and musky fishing is hard on tackle....

My musky reels while seldom used is......ABU GARCIA. The Abu Garcia round reels win the the European casting distance championships every year......in excess of 3 football fields. The round reels are heavily customized yet round reels just the same.

I'm not gonna knock Abu, but after 2 Revo Toros ( the HS, and the S model) that are marketed toward Muskie guys, I wasn't able to get a full season out of either. Both lost their smoothness within the first couple of months of fishing. And like I said, before the season was out they were in the shop. Maybe I got two lemons, but my arsenal of Calcutta's is still going strong; and I've asked 2x the work out of them that I ever asked outta the ABUS. I'd say for the casual muskie angler they are fine. But day in and day out use, I gotta go with shimano.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I love my Calcutta but for one thing. I bet I’ve broke 5 of the damn buttons off. They’re plastic molded around a steel stud and when you mash it there’s no support on the left side. Every time it’s cracked the plastic off leaving the steel stud in place. They’re not very expensive but kind of a pain to replace and I think it’s BS that they use something like that on a multi hundred dollar reel. SOB should be either supported on the offside or made of metal.

And yes KY221 is correct IME, Abu is nowhere near the reel as a Shimano. I blew up at least two per year before I gave up on them when I was salmon fishing. I have a couple I use for trolling and bass fishing but they’re not near as sturdy as they could be.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO- I don't care at all for thumb bar reels
I prefer the one button on the right

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For bass fishing ...

I bought a JDM Shimano Metanium for under $300. Same reel with a slightly different spool is $500 here.

https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/c...wgtr18AIVRRx9Ch2EfQC5EAQYAyABEgL-4PD_BwE

It’s been out on the lake 2-3 times this spring, but really I bought it to chase boiling stripers this summer.

Casts great with #30 Spectra but I did have to fine tune it on the water to prevent professional bird’s nests.

I’d do it again.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I know it's not bas fishing, but you know how rough fishing for reds on the Kenai is on gear. I've been using a Tatula 200 for a couple years and it's held up beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

That is a very positive endorsement! Any reel, or rod, that can survive a couple of seasons of red fishing is built well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Think I decided on a reel, Shimano CURADO DC, but the model I want is out of stock pretty much everywhere so it might take awhile to get it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Calcuttas are great reels.They last forever and so simple to maintain.I have five of them and they just won't die.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I went back to using baitcasters for some bass fishing after years of using spinning reels for everything I had trouble re learning to cast them well with the first ones I tried. Someone suggested the Shimano Curados and problem solved. Don't know if the Curados were actually the difference but they seemed a lot easier to use. I've got three of them now, Two Bantams I've used for over twenty years and a 50E for over ten. I've cleaned and relubed them a couple of times and that's it. Good quality reels IMO.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ended up ordering a Shimano Curado 150 DC with the "normal" rate of retrieve. It will be coming from Malaysia so may take awhile.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Enjoy it Snow!

Catch a few for me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.