Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: Just one of my many Rifles in caliber 220 Swift is set up/supplied with Norma 220 Swift brass and indeed that Rifle shoots extremely well.
Trouble is it is hard to come by (Norma 220 Swift brass).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SS336: The puzzle that is the troubled CampFirer, known as onthepeach, just keeps compounding itself!
I am waiting for onthepeach to try and answer your well founded posting!
I feel sorry for people like larryroot, onthepeach, slumload, small twig and boobiesarebrown!
There is obviously some disorder prevailing in their mental processes - or perhaps they are physically deformed in some way leading to these bizarre, anonymous, unprovoked, displays of anger/hostility.
And because of that, my puzzlement is overtaken by sorrow, for them.
In all honesty I wish there was something I could do to ease their pains.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My friend has a Cooper with a 1-7 twist. On a good condition day it will put 75 trainers 10 shots in an inch. Very accurate in my book. Ed

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Onthebeach= troll of the first magnitude. Some of his postings are cogent and well illustrated but trust me, he'll snap eventually and show his true colors. Maybe he'll even grace you with one of his childishly vile PM's which are what truly sets him apart from the rest of the cockroaches. Looking forward to the next one I get from him!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I always wanted one along with a 17 Remington. I remember reading Remington's yearly catalog as a kid. The back pages showed pictures of each cartridge with its Ballistics and Drop spec. The 220 swift amazed me with its size and over 4,000fps velocity

Last edited by andrews1958; 05/31/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My former partner bought a 40XBKSS in Swift late '80s. We burned out the 27" stainless barrel in about 4k rounds. Punched too much paper cuz it was such a joy to shoot. 0.25" to 0.4". But along the way killed truckloads of woodchucks and crows. We had .22-250 V models prior, and the 40x extended our effective range by almost 100 yds for us. That was eastern NYS.

Another friend in NYS used his 77V with 52 gr Speer HP (the old version) for turkeys and deer on a very large farm he managed.

Now live in ME, not much use for a Swift here. But still have two pre-64 70s - Target and Varmint. Both 1/2" guns.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
At what number of rounds do people find the need to trim the Swift? I have yet to need to do it, but I am only on my 2nd loading on most of my brass. Same with the 300 H&H, another cartridges that is supposed to require more trimming. I thought I would have to trim them by now since they are on their 2nd and 3rd firing, but there is a lot of room left to grow.

It all depends. Chamber, quality of brass and how hard you push it. No set rule. In my situation I neck size only until after firing 4 times, at that point I always full length size, anneal and trim the brass back to 2.20 as my swift shoots better with a little longer neck. I also have a neck turner so if the brass does thicken at the neck or I start getting the dreaded donut it’s easily taken care of. Going this route I have some Norma brass that’s on it 16th firing. At this point all I use is Norma as Remington and Winchester brass really went to sh*t as far as quality. The last of those I bought had Winchester black bag was a 30% cull rate and the Remington was worse which is a pure shame as I have some Win stuff bought around 02 that I am saving as it was just as consistent as any Norma.

Thanks.

I have Norma and Hornady.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've had a Ruger M77V 220 since the '70s that I bought for shooting chucks on the farms in the NY Catskills. I used to have a blast knocking on doors and getting permission to help a farmer put a dent in his ground hog population. I'd love to get it out again, but there doesn't seem to be the numbers of chucks like there used to be. I don't know if it's due to poisoning or different Ag practices or what, but I sure do miss those days.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 06/01/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'll be buried with my swift. Have killed whitetails, Coues deer, a truckload of coyotes among a bunch of other varmints.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HunterShooter58: What power was (is) your Unertl Ultra-Varmint?
I loved those scopes and had them in both 12 and 15 powers.
Only have a few Unertls left.
Wish now I had kept them all.
Do have a mint perfect Unertl BV-20 and that is a gem of an optic!
Sad day when Unertl went under.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If memory serves me right, it's a 24X Ultra Varmint! I have a couple others, but I'm not sure what power they are. I really do love the old school Unertl's! Even the Lyman Targets copes are pretty good!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the current Swift fans just get a 22-250.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Swift has always been a rather poor case design. It's easy to meet/exceed it's capacity in a vastly superior vessel,of vastly improved quality. Along with same,comes a greatly diminished case length,which effectively lengthens COAL latitude and opens doors to vastly superior projectiles,that reduce drop/drift and bolster terminal effects. Win/win/win/win. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1:7 22 creed for me.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I see that the new Remington Arms are including the Swift in their lineup for model 700's.
https://www.remarms.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have two Swifts a >22-250 ai, and a std . 22-250.. Next time I rebarrel the std. It will be to a swift.. Great cartridge.. I wonder how many of the nay sayers ever used one...

Molon Labe
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have two Swifts a >22-250 ai, and a std . 22-250.. Next time I rebarrel the std. It will be to a swift.. Great cartridge.. I wonder how many of the nay sayers ever used one...

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocFoster
I see that the new Remington Arms are including the Swift in their lineup for model 700's.
https://www.remarms.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf

yes with a 14" twist!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had lots of Swifts(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom) and shot a lot more. Brass has always been an issue,as relative quality goes and spare me the Norma bullschit,as I simply shoot it all. Hint.

As the new and/or old 700's go,a 26" Swift cain't hang with their 20" 1-9" 223(LTR/Threaded 5R). Pardon my having shot it all. Hint.

Never did much care for the 22-250,if only again,because it too is a rather poor case design(Remmie,Ruger,Sako,Winchester,Custom). Hint.

Have shot a bunch of 22-250AI's(Remmie,Ruger,Weatherby,Sako,Winchester OEM punches and of course a bunch of Custom). Hint.

Though in fairness,I had multiple CHeetah's too(Mach 1's). Hint.

I get a kick out of you Crying CLUELESS Karens and your Dumbfhuqktitude. Hint.

Laughing!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see the village idiot is slobbering on his self again . sis must have went home for a few days. he will quit trying to be smart when she gets back to put his pacifier back up his a$$ were he likes it 🤢🤢🤢

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crying Karen,

You were nearly "brazen" enough to say something about The Rifle,but even Melting Snowflakes as fhuqking STUPID as you,know better than to try...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (44automag, 5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 14 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 803 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,384
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.