Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dwayne, wishing you the best for the day. I am just headed out for some retriever training -- water work before the heat hits.

On the residential schools, much like others that have posted I have some direct knowledge. Not many people are aware that the schools also were used for orphans - in particular immigrant children that English was not a first language. I have three (now down to 1 due to age) uncles that were placed in the schools. The last remaining uncle (now in his mid 80's) said the school they were placed in was under Jesuit / Oblate control and conditions in the school they were in were harsh. He is a little bitter that the orphans were not included in the settlement negotiations and are an overlooked piece to the overall residential school mess.

On the personal side when I started my career I travelled into many remote sites undertaking mechanical maintenance for public buildings. A number of the schools listed as residential were on my route in the late 70's plus a number of others that are not listed. I did not see what occurred behind the veil as my tasks were focused on the infrastructure. What I saw for infrastructure was less than satisfactory and I questioned where the money was going. The church does not do anything for free.

I am in the camp of getting all of this in the open to allow all sides to heal. I am not in the through more money at it camp nor am I in camp of taking down old statues. People learn from history and if taken away history repeats. We do not want this to repeat for any group. I most likely in a minority of wanting more self determination and getting rid of the Federal government bloat that caused this and is the root cause to many current problems.

Fat cats want to continue living as fat cats both at the government level and also unfortunately for many bands at a chief level.

All the best for the day

Hugh

Last edited by HughW; 06/03/21. Reason: correction of typo

Hugh
GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lets back this up abit, the government has known about this for a very long time, why all this now?

So, I says to my wife a couple weeks ago...something is up, wonder what it is? I saw the increased attention on Native issue's etc...Then this bombshell. Last week it was all Covid, then suddenly, its this, does anyone think they just found out about this gravesite last week?

Citizens in BC are about to get screwed, big time, then I suspect it will spread to the rest of Canada. The treaties that are finalized and being finalized are handing over title to each FN band. These governments continue to say...our hands are tied, the Courts have ruled....then its these governments (BC) who sign on to UNDRIP, creating an even larger hole to through Citizens in.
The FN will not allow hunting, that's right, no hunting, just go read it for yourself. The FN own it and that is it. If/when there is access you will be paying for it.

The Federal government (Trudeau) says he was going to sign on to UNDRIP....this is where the rest of the Country gets to anti up to the game, got it now?

Trudeau, with the help of the globalist media will use this to get back in, the timing is all the proof of a conspiracy I need.
The UN via UNDRIP is the head of this snake.

The people in charge, Native elders, government officials.....don't want this issue to end, no, they want it to go on and on, that's why I don't believe in elders, I believe in old people. A true community leader doesn't bring misery to each generation in perpetuity, there is no healing there.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
SaddleGun I 'm not that up on my Nordic legends, but their was thing that lived under bridges and attacked everything,. It was called a troll.

And there are a lot of them here attacking me.

You are quite right in your assessment.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 673
Lets back this up abit, the government has known about this for a very long time, why all this now?

So, I says to my wife a couple weeks ago...something is up, wonder what it is? I saw the increased attention on Native issue's etc...Then this bombshell. Last week it was all Covid, then suddenly, its this, does anyone think they just found out about this gravesite last week?

Citizens in BC are about to get screwed, big time, then I suspect it will spread to the rest of Canada. The treaties that are finalized and being finalized are handing over title to each FN band. These governments continue to say...our hands are tied, the Courts have ruled....then its these governments (BC) who sign on to UNDRIP, creating an even larger hole to through Citizens in.
The FN will not allow hunting, that's right, no hunting, just go read it for yourself. The FN own it and that is it. If/when there is access you will be paying for it.

The Federal government (Trudeau) says he was going to sign on to UNDRIP....this is where the rest of the Country gets to anti up to the game, got it now?

Trudeau, with the help of the globalist media will use this to get back in, the timing is all the proof of a conspiracy I need.

The people in charge, Native elders, government officials.....don't want this issue to end, no, they want it to go on and on, that's why I don't believe in elders, I believe in old people. A true community leader doesn't bring misery to each generation in perpetuity, there is no healing there.

In other words, it's all just a left-wing conspiracy.

There are no dead children.

You are delusional. Seek help.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The timing is a conspiracy, read it again.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

This is insightful, and exactly why it’s hard to believe that anything we see in the media is truly the way it seems, anymore. Anyone who thinks posters here are insensitive to dead children is delusional, indeed. If this story is truly factual and presented in good faith, then a unanimously sympathetic response would certainly be appropriate. Of course we all feel sympathy towards the children and their families (especially those of us with personal experience with FN children and families). But as with other hot issues lately (climate change, COVID, BLM, etc.), there seem to be ulterior motives surrounding the FN issue, and certain actors are using it to their advantage, making it difficult to determine what is factual and what is twisted truth to fit a narrative and support a nefarious agenda. Some people swallow media stories and public statements hook, line, and sinker, while others with a more rational mind wonder how much of the story is genuine, and how much is being twisted to support a more devious agenda.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
“Conspiracy theorist” has become just another dog whistle in the leftist toolbox, right alongside “racist”, “white supremacist”, “Nazi” and “colonial”. Each gets trotted out as required in order to derail any attempt to question the narrative.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I did a substantial amount of work for FN in BC & Yukon in the 90's . Of necessity this involved INAC ( Indian An Northern Affairs Canada) . It would be very very difficult to imagine a more inefficient, bloated, non responsive department.

I remember thinking that INAC/government caused and amplified problems .

Having said that , these graveyards were no secret . A number of the people I did work with indicated where 'the children had been buried there ' to me , once they knew me a little better. The band office was the former residential school in this one particular case.

The timing of this 'discovery' has to do with politics at some level . So the disrespect continues .

Hugh is correct that 'orphans' were also put in these schools . A child hood friend of my father's , who was born out of wedlock, was placed in one in North Battleford. He was treated much the same , I got to know him quite well 10-15 years ago and carried scars (probably physical over and above mental) to his grave.

I do not have the solution BUT I despise the politicians making a political football out of this . Including Trudeau

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by HughW
Slowly more information starts to come out.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ential-school-stalled-by-lack-of-records

I find the fight for the holding of records for over 20 years to be despicable -- why have the Feds and Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate been doing this other than to exert control? The bloated departments that the Feds have in place to work with Indigenous groups need to be disbanded. This departments sole justification for existence is control. Phasing this out would be a first step.

Hugh

That statement hits the nail squarely on the head

Regards
Lorne

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Great Trudeau now has a distraction for the uneducated masses to cover his party's major screw up and incompetence during the past year of Covid . Just like the BLM joke last year. How many decades has the Canadian govt covered this up?

Bingo. I'll take first hand on the ground experience over an idiot's cut and paste news articles. look at the social justice idiots coming out of the woodwork. The same ones praising the government's criminal negligent response to Covid.

Originally Posted by Lorne
I did a substantial amount of work for FN in BC & Yukon in the 90's . Of necessity this involved INAC ( Indian An Northern Affairs Canada) . It would be very very difficult to imagine a more inefficient, bloated, non responsive department.

I remember thinking that INAC/government caused and amplified problems .

Having said that , these graveyards were no secret . A number of the people I did work with indicated where 'the children had been buried there ' to me , once they knew me a little better. The band office was the former residential school in this one particular case.

The timing of this 'discovery' has to do with politics at some level . So the disrespect continues .

Hugh is correct that 'orphans' were also put in these schools . A child hood friend of my father's , who was born out of wedlock, was placed in one in North Battleford. He was treated much the same , I got to know him quite well 10-15 years ago and carried scars (probably physical over and above mental) to his grave.

I do not have the solution BUT I despise the politicians making a political football out of this . Including Trudeau

Last edited by ribka; 06/03/21.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ribka

A less cynical person than myself would agree with you about the distraction......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not the graveyards, rather the numbers in them.

I'm reminded of the mass graves in the Balkans, where there was genocide. The thing is , this is in our backyard. Anytime a Vanouverite drives up to ski resort Sun Peaks, they drive by the stately old brick building. Heck, we would drive by it on our way to the big Kamloops gun show.. It's since moved to larger venue

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am not sure how many folks have read the 94 recommendations in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission report.

The jaded part of me says it is worth reading and putting $$ signs beside the additional asks and requests for new government departments. The CBC even gets its own section with its own ask for additional money (when this happens I tend to tune out the writers). The black hole is requested to get much larger with no boundaries.

Now on the other side there are legitimate statements for corrections of wrongs -- residential schools, apology from the pope and one set of specific recommendations (71 thru 76) dealing with preservation of residential school records and cemeteries.

It is ironic that specific sections of a commission funded by the Feds related to this discussion are not only ignored by them but also fought against in the court system.

http://trc.ca/assets/pdf/Calls_to_Action_English2.pdf

I would add a tidbit --- I happened over time to be at two conferences in the same centers where the TRC were holding meetings / hearings and knew a couple of people that were on the TRC. That group did not spare any taxpayer money on the disbursements or set ups at the centers -- lavish would be a choice word.

Fat cats staying Fat

Hugh
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 673
The timing is a conspiracy, read it again.

A conspiracy theory.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
“Conspiracy theorist” has become just another dog whistle in the leftist toolbox, right alongside “racist”, “white supremacist”, “Nazi” and “colonial”. Each gets trotted out as required in order to derail any attempt to question the narrative.

And the alt-right trots out dog whistle terms from their toolbox, like communist, rioter, social justice warrior, etc. as derogatory terms to derail any attempt to question their narrative.

The thing is that when someone actually suggests that the discovery of a previously unknown and unmarked burial ground containing the remains of hundreds of children is a government plot, what else can you call it but a nut-bar conspiracy theory?

Any rational person would.

And there ARE very much groups that abound who make no bones about their "white supremacist" or "white nationalist" beliefs or their "neo-nazi" affiliation.

Nobody needs to call them that. They do it themselves, and in so doing, admit that they are "racist".

So, I guess that these are dog whistle terms from their own toolbox.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
It is very interesting, don't you think, that this select small group of commenters cares absolutely nothing about the abuses perpetrated on these children, or about their horrendous death rates while incarcerated at these residential schools.

What it really seems to boil down to with them is that this is something that some Canadians who are left wing care deeply about, so it must therefore be something that they must be vehemently opposed to.

Such political diametric opposition seems automatic with them. If the left says that the sky is blue, they will insist that it is green.

The thing is that they comprise a small minority of hard cynical people. The majority of Canadians, left or right, are very much disgusted and appalled by the recent discovery of this burial ground.

So I guess that few people really care what this small but determined group, on this relatively small and insignificant forum, actually think.

Certainly I have not seen their opinions expressed about this anywhere else.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by saddlegun
And the alt-right trots out dog whistle terms from their toolbox, like communist, rioter, social justice warrior, etc. as derogatory terms to derail any attempt to question their narrative.

Is it really necessary to point out that they have either proudly adopted those labels for themselves, or earned them by their actions? Hardly dog whistles.

And, if there is something that is truly common among left wingers is that they love spending other people's money.

And, as previously stated, the whole residential school fiasco is shameful. But, if you've been actually comprehending the responses, they're pointing out the cynical timing of this, in order to take the pressure off the Drama Teacher in Chief for his continuing incompetence. And, as I and others earlier pointed out, one more cynical opportunity to extort money from Canadian taxpayers, to fund a corrupt Indigenous bureaucracy that has not improved the lot of the average aboriginal in any way. The best way for an aboriginal to get ahead in Canada is to get off the fuqqing reserve.

I know a lawyer who worked for years for the insurance company that paid out on the lawsuits against the Catholic church. His sole job was to interview plaintiffs to truly establish that they were and had been affected by criminal activity within the church, because when you open the flood gates on something like that there are absolutely going to be opportunists who are going to try to file a false claim.

I am not, in any way, suggesting that the deaths at these schools were false or didn't happen. But I do expect any recompense paid out is solely to those who were directly affected by it, either personally or by close relation. Handing an expensive soother to someone who maybe knew someone who was related to a 5th cousin of one of the victims is BS.

Much the same as the call for reparations in the US, money should not be paid to people who were never slaves from tax dollars of people who never owned slaves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
News happens, that's why it's called news. That the band would have a ground search radar done to help the government, is so far fetched as to make wearing tin hats in public seem downright main stream. Bands just don't work like that.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlegun
It is very interesting, don't you think, that this select small group of commenters cares absolutely nothing about the abuses perpetrated on these children, or about their horrendous death rates while incarcerated at these residential schools.

What it really seems to boil down to with them is that this is something that some Canadians who are left wing care deeply about, so it must therefore be something that they must be vehemently opposed to.

Such political diametric opposition seems automatic with them. If the left says that the sky is blue, they will insist that it is green.

The thing is that they comprise a small minority of hard cynical people. The majority of Canadians, left or right, are very much disgusted and appalled by the recent discovery of this burial ground.

So I guess that few people really care what this small but determined group, on this relatively small and insignificant forum, actually think.

Certainly I have not seen their opinions expressed about this anywhere else.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm sorry I'm not appalled or surprised, I don't need the discovery of bodies buried, stories of abuse etc to be appalled, I fully expect in every institution of similar nature to yield the same results, whether they are native schools or other.
Hugh already pointed out other institutions with similar stories of abuse, I fully believe those people too.

Perhaps you confuse someone who is de-sensitized, with someone who is uncaring. You can expect Canadians to grow weary of the constant guilt, blame, or the responsibility of these crimes to be passed around like the political football that it has become. Two wrongs does not make a right, the Harper government already apologized, reparations were made. Clearly, its not satisfactory, nor will it ever be. I truly feel sorry for any native youth who's mentor is struggling with their own bondage.

Since we are here I would suggest.....that every native person who has been affected (like myself) to give some thought to the response of their respective communities ie...why didn't the people arm themselves and machine gun these institutions and those responsible? Just a short time before these events occurred, Canada's native people had no issue's with moseying over and slaughtering another group of native people. In my view, it is a legitimate reason for the use of force to intervene and rescue these children, but they didn't.

My family told me..... that the RCMP were fully aware of the abuse that took place, they did FA.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
673, if I’m reading your post right, you are native yourself.

If that is the case, expect to be “Uncle Tom”d, since your outrage is not selective enough, nor passionate enough. You obviously are just some dumb savage who needs whitey to be suitably outraged on your behalf.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 204guy, 73 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,540
Posts18,453,105
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.