Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16132614 05/31/21
405wcf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been using a new Labradar for a month now. Years ago, my first chrono was a Shooting Chrony Beta Master then I got a CED Millennium 2. The firing point I shoot from is surrounded by trees so shadows play havoc with the chrono readings. I would have to wait for an overcast day to get good numbers. I got tired of it so I bought a Labradar.

I actually paid attention to the internet posters that advised to read the directions first. I took my time reading the directions and watched a Youtube video. I purchased a battery pack from Amazon for about $8 to power the unit. This thing is really easy to set up and use! No more error messages. I have used it with 22 lr rifle, 260 Rem, 338 WM, and 45 Raptor. I have not yet tried a handgun.

I capture multiple strings while shooting, then return home to review the data. Average velocity, extreme spread, standard deviation and individual shots all right there and easy to view. I have not yet used the downrange velocities or tried anything with power factor or kinetic energy.

I am really pleased with the unit.

405wcf

HR IC

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thanks for the report.

At some point, I'd like to pick one up as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I have a Labradar and love it now. I purchased a JLK trigger for my braked rifles and then picked up a bolt on sight from eBay. With the trigger it allows me a little leeway on where to place the Labrador on the table. After using the sight I found out I was sighting it too low to the target. I love it now and having reliable data to analyze sure makes it easier.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a Milwaukee M-18 battery on mine......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had one for a few years now. They are much easier to use than the Chronys I've own. No wires, no extra parts to setup and no problems with clouds or sun. I place mine on the shooting bench along with the spotting scope and I'm good to go. You do need an extra power pack or two to run the radar for most of the day. If I need to run it longer, I recharge the power packs in the truck.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mine gets gunshot residue on the edge near the firearm. Anybody got a cure for that?

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I saw one used at the range a month or so ago...

its the only way to fly.....gotta get around to getting one myself.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
Mine gets gunshot residue on the edge near the firearm. Anybody got a cure for that?

I move mine back so that it’s about 8” from being in plane with the muzzle, which prevents the majority of the blast from hitting the LR.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good to hear. Being able to set up the unit without going down range is enticing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I’d like to see some details on that, please. I have quite a few M18 batteries around.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I’d like to see some details on that, please. I have quite a few M18 batteries around.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Batteries-and-Chargers/M18-Batteries-and-Chargers/49-24-2371

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a couple of cheap battery packs that are rated at 20,000 and 25,000 mAh, and I can go through several chrono sessions that last several hours each, on a single charge of a single battery pack. I only bought the second one so that I'd have a back up in case the first one died in the middle of a chrono session.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $1M I would buy a Labradar and use it once.
For only $100k, I would use my Magnetospeed for one more hour.

I have built 4 rifles and have 4 deer tags for Oct 2021.
I will take a Prochrono and a laptop with Quickload with me on the 2,000 mile drive in October.
I have two reloading presses mounted in the camper.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve given mine a good workout this summer and love the thing. There’s so little to carry to the range and it sets up so easily and quickly. Now what to do with my Oehler? I liked it too, but there is a lot to carry and a bit of a pain to set up.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like mine. The unit, base, external power supply, and the manual all fit nicely in an old laptop backpack carrying case. I sometimes have troubles getting it to start a new string and have to turn it off and back on. Apparently there is a phone app for the Labradar that lets you operate it from your phone and fixes the problem. I love the easy setup and not having to go down range. My biggest issue is that it won't work with bullets less than .22 caliber or speeds over 4000 fps. I got a 204 Ruger a few months ago which is both too small and too fast. Once I have loads for the 204 that are the most accurate for each weight I'll haul my old Chrony Beta Master out and see how fast they actually are.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Clearly the Labradar isn’t for everyone, and those who have trouble using a cell phone should probably stick to simpler devices. But for those who can both read and follow the instructions it is an excellent choice. As stated it’s easy/safer to set up, fits on the bench, and isn’t light sensitive. But it also offers functions most optical chronos do/can not, like extensive digitally stored data and the ability to find the true BC of your bullets. It’s biggest problem is probably the price, a fact those who own “cheaper” chronos will use to justify their own choice. Nothing wrong with not wanting/able to pay the entry fee..

I used my Oehler M33 extensively for over 30 years, but I haven’t bothered since I got the Labradar, I’m sure it will be up for sale soon.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got mine in the mail a week or two ago...its setting on a table waiting for me to have time to read the instructions... gotta look at that Milwaukee Battery Pack tho.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a Makita 18V battery with mine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
milwaukee M-18 here...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by denton

That’s a new one on me. What load are you shooting that does that?
Mine likes to be within 10” of the muzzle and on the same plane as the muzzle. I’ve never noticed any residue.

I use a Anker 10,00 mAh battery. I’ve had the unit on for several hours straight and it hardly puts a dent in the battery charge. Nice thing about the Anker I leave it in the truck hooked to the phone charger and it’s charged up when I need it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
779 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.