-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Ive been using a bore sighter that fits in the muzzle of the rifle barrel, and am beginning to have my doubts about the effectiveness of this thing. Upon reflection of the troubles Ive had, do the cartridge type that go in the chamber work a lot better, like I am thinking they would?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We used the muzzle bore sighter's for years, to get us on paper. They did just that, they got us on paper, saving countless ammo, and time! A little do diligence, and Common sense, they work if you use them correctly.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
D
OP Offline
D
well maybe mine is bent. if i turn it while in the bore the red dot shifts around. i have been having a time getting my rifle sighted in, and i changed rings and bases which helped somewhat, now wondering about the laser. never had this much trouble wiyh a rifle scope before.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
When I see someone at the range having a difficult time getting on paper I offer to:

Set the rifle in a stable set of bags
Pull the bolt
Carefully align the center of the bore (by viewing through it) around the target
Hold the rifle still and crank the scope adjustments to center crosshairs on target (helps to have 2 people)
Verify that the bore and optic are centered on the target simultaneously

At 50yds, this simple method has never failed. No bore sighting tools needed.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks Charlie, I've used that on other rifles.....was using my boresighter in my backyard at 25 yds, came up 8" to the right...way too much to adjust by scope alone. Not believing that I took it to the range and the 3 shot group was 30" right.....so I got new bases, came up about 4" right at 25 yds uding the laser, and thats when i tried turning it and the dot circled around. I have adjusting inserts for the Burris rings now that should fix things, just wondering if anyone else had the same results when they spin their muzzle type bore sighter

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dakota03
well maybe mine is bent. if i turn it while in the bore the red dot shifts around. i have been having a time getting my rifle sighted in, and i changed rings and bases which helped somewhat, now wondering about the laser. never had this much trouble with a rifle scope before.

I will say, that while they do get us on paper, and we've been using them for years. Were always care full, not to scratch, or mar the bore by muscle fugging things up! Even though they fit, in kinds loosely with a spring like wire adjuster to help align it in the bore, be careful not to get over aggressive with it, and try to feel the alignment within the Bore Sighter!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 06/06/21.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
When I see someone at the range having a difficult time getting on paper I offer to:

Set the rifle in a stable set of bags
Pull the bolt
Carefully align the center of the bore (by viewing through it) around the target
Hold the rifle still and crank the scope adjustments to center crosshairs on target (helps to have 2 people)
Verify that the bore and optic are centered on the target simultaneously

At 50yds, this simple method has never failed. No bore sighting tools needed.

Charlie,
I do agree with you on this also, as we have used this before! It does work well!!!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have an old Tasco I’ve used for 45 years, used it in five rifles yesterday. I’ll be 6” low and 3” to the right when I sight them in.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys, I will go back to using the ol' eyeball method, even though the ol' eyeballs aint what they once were !!....Im wondering if the holes drilled in the receiver arent a tad off which is the basis for my bases being off.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.