Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Whether you can imagine or not, pump-action shotguns are not my preference, which is why I didn’t ask about them. But thank you for the contribution, snarky as though it may be.
I understand. Lotta folks out there these days that can't drive a stick shift and others that just don't want to..

“ Originally Posted by tylerw02
Whether you can imagine or not, pump-action shotguns are not my preference, which is why I didn’t ask about them. But thank you for the contribution, snarky as though it may be.
I understand. Lotta folks out there these days that can't chew gum and walk at the same time.”

I see that edit. Be glad you edited wink

I can drive a stick and do from time to time, but I don’t on my daily driver. My daily driver from 1996 until 2018 was a five speed manual. And as I mentioned earlier, my defensive shotgun is indeed a pump action. So don’t pretend to be superior to those that don’t share your preferences.
You didn't mention that your defensive shotgun was a pump action. I forgot to mention lotta folks these days just too lazy to drive a stick or manually operate a shotgun. And I should be glad I edited ? LOL.. Enjoy whatever you buy.

So it now makes one lazy if they don’t prefer your favorite action type? You’re a special kind of stupid. Go chase a dog, you worthless piece of shyt.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I understand. Lotta folks out there these days that can't drive a stick shift and others that just don't want to..

I understand. Lotta folks out there these days that can't chew gum and walk at the same time.”

I see that edit. Be glad you edited ;)u're th one too stupid to reakiz

I can drive a stick and do from time to time, but I don’t on my daily driver. My daily driver from 1996 until 2018 was a five speed manual. And as I mentioned earlier, my defensive shotgun is indeed a pump action. So don’t pretend to be superior to those that don’t share your preferences.
You didn't mention that your defensive shotgun was a pump action. I forgot to mention lotta folks these days just too lazy to drive a stick or manually operate a shotgun. And I should be glad I edited ? LOL.. Enjoy whatever you buy.

So it now makes one lazy if they don’t prefer your favorite action type? You’re a special kind of stupid. Go chase a dog, you worthless piece of shyt.
You're the one too stupid to pick up on somebody trying to get your goat. LMFAO. Dumbass !

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

I see that edit. Be glad you edited ;)u're th one too stupid to reakiz

You're the one too stupid to pick up on somebody trying to get your goat. LMFAO. Dumbass !

[bleep] off.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Gotta do it like this......

FUUCK OFF !

Or like this .

FUGG OFF !

If you don't want it bleeped out.

Dummy.

LMAO !

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

FUUCK OFF !

Or like this .

FUGG OFF !

Dummy.

LMAO !

Must suck to be so pathetic you act like this. I’m sorry your mommy didn’t love you enough.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

FUUCK OFF !

Or like this .

FUGG OFF !

Dummy.

LMAO !

Must suck to be so pathetic you act like this. I’m sorry your mommy didn’t love you enough.
Now you hurt my feelings. Meanie. LOL !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, back to the shotguns... I like the Beretta 390 and 391 but I tend to shoot quite a few rounds at clays. If I shot less clays I might tend to like the Benelli/inertia types more. It's just me but with a fairly heavy 391 12 (wood and extra weight) or my 20 ga 390, I can shoot a lot more rounds than with my O/U. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to shoot a light Benelli as much. It's just me, maybe some of you don't mind the recoil so much. I find it adds up. I dont mind the first 50 or so with my O/U but as the rounds get closer to 100 or more, I miss my heavier auto or 20 auto.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's tough to get a "do-it-all" shotgun that is comfortable to shoot 100+ rounds at clays and yet light and portable enough to carry turkey hunting. My turkey hunting is probably different than most, I cover miles cross country on large secluded blocks of public ground in the Ozark mountains. Weight is a concern for me. My Benelli M1 24" barrel 12 gauge with sling is handy enough and kills gobblers, coyote and hogs for me while turkey hunting. During winter it goes predator hunting and handles coyote, fox, bobcat and occasionally a hog. It also has enough punch to ward off an aggressive bear or lion.

I don't want to shoot 100-200 rounds through that M1 at my trap and skeet club. At the skeet club I'd rather have a long barrel, heavier gas operated clays gun like a Beretta. Or a similar long barrel, heavier target grade O/U. Like my Beretta. If you hunt a farm and don't carry the turkey gun much and you don't shoot more than a couple boxes of target loads occasionally a compromise could be found much easier.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
It's tough to get a "do-it-all" shotgun that is comfortable to shoot 100+ rounds at clays and yet light and portable enough to carry turkey hunting. My turkey hunting is probably different than most, I cover miles cross country on large secluded blocks of public ground in the Ozark mountains. Weight is a concern for me. My Benelli M1 24" barrel 12 gauge with sling is handy enough and kills gobblers, coyote and hogs for me while turkey hunting. During winter it goes predator hunting and handles coyote, fox, bobcat and occasionally a hog. It also has enough punch to ward off an aggressive bear or lion.

I don't want to shoot 100-200 rounds through that M1 at my trap and skeet club. At the skeet club I'd rather have a long barrel, heavier gas operated clays gun like a Beretta. Or a similar long barrel, heavier target grade O/U. Like my Beretta. If you hunt a farm and don't carry the turkey gun much and you don't shoot more than a couple boxes of target loads occasionally a compromise could be found much easier.

We used to hunt in Dallas, Laclede and Texas counties, both private and public ground.

No problem to cover 5+ miles a morning. I was a kid and up into my early 20s, dad was in his 20s up thru early 40s when we were hunting those mountains. 870s and 1100s were the norm along w my 10 gauge once I got it.

No way would I be able to hump those hill w any of those guns today. I would want a light 20 gauge nowadays.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/06/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reynolds and Shannon for me. Current River country, love it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Reynolds and Shannon for me. Current River country, love it.

Small world. I hunt Carter County. Mostly private but some public. Family has about 1200 acres there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm not mistaken there is another hillbilly on the Fire, think he is from Dent County.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Lot of people recommend beretta but it irritates the heck out of me to have to push the button to stuff shells in the magazine.I tried one on a dove hunt this year and hated it. I have hunted with a Browning A5 for 38 years. I just feed in shells as I shoot. If you have to do anything special to load it is a dealbreaker for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Lot of people recommend beretta but it irritates the heck out of me to have to push the button to stuff shells in the magazine.I tried one on a dove hunt this year and hated it. I have hunted with a Browning A5 for 38 years. I just feed in shells as I shoot. If you have to do anything special to load it is a dealbreaker for me.

I just loaded a 391 and a 300 and have no clue what you’re talking about. “Push the button” to stuff shells in magazine.

Bolt was locked open. Laid one in port. Pushed bolt release button to chamber the round. Then loaded 3 in the magazine just like loading pretty much any other shotgun. No buttons pressed at all. Pushed shell carrier up with shell, then slid forward.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I just loaded a 391 and a 300 and have no clue what you’re talking about. “Push the button” to stuff shells in magazine.

Bolt was locked open. Laid one in port. Pushed bolt release button to chamber the round. Then loaded 3 in the magazine just like loading pretty much any other shotgun. No buttons pressed at all. Pushed shell carrier up with shell, then slid forward.

How'd you get the bolt to lock open?

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

That is how I keep it in the safe, bolt locked open, and to be honest, without being home to manipulate, I don't know, don't even think about it, it just does....

Pretty sure the bolt locks open on both my 300 and 391 when the last shell is fired and the magazine is empty. Alternatively, if the bolt is closed on an empty gun, you can push the button on the back of the shell carrier, then manually open the bolt and it will lock open.

In a hunting situation, the last shell is fired, the bolt locks open, you drop a shell in the ejection port, push the bolt release button on the side of the action, load 2 or 3 shells into the magazine (without pushing any buttons), and rock on.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Me too! I have a beautidul FABARMS the same way. What genious thought of that

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by blairvt
What genious thought of that

John Browning, I think. I inherited a Remington Model 11, bought in 1919 by a WWI vet, that loads that way.

If I were looking for a non-gas auto, I would have to check out the Benelli Ethos. I haven't handled one, out of consideration for my wallet, but they look good on paper. About two pounds lighter than a Remington 11, too.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

That is how I keep it in the safe, bolt locked open, and to be honest, without being home to manipulate, I don't know, don't even think about it, it just does....

Pretty sure the bolt locks open on both my 300 and 391 when the last shell is fired and the magazine is empty. Alternatively, if the bolt is closed on an empty gun, you can push the button on the back of the shell carrier, then manually open the bolt and it will lock open.

In a hunting situation, the last shell is fired, the bolt locks open, you drop a shell in the ejection port, push the bolt release button on the side of the action, load 2 or 3 shells into the magazine (without pushing any buttons), and rock on.

Right. So in some circumstances you have to push a button to be able to lock the bolt back for loading. Making an action that way simplifies some things, which is probably why Berettas are so long-lived and reliable.

Then again I may have misunderstood the post. Which makes me think someone typed about something other than a Beretta.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 06/03/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Tyler, the Ethos weighs less than 7# and will handle anything from 3" turkey loads tp 7/8 oz practice loads. However, it costs $2K and you have a lot of other expense. A less expensive option is the Franchi AL-48. A 12 weighs 6.5#, it costs half as much as an Ethos, and there are tons of used ones around for $500. It is basically a Browning A5 with an alloy receiver, reliable as a bolt action. There are 20 & 28 ga. 48s that weigh 5.5#, which is cool if you can shoot well with a gun that light.

Good hunting with whatever you buy!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,538
Posts18,453,065
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.