-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was recently given two old bamboo fly rods. I don't see any trademark, dates, or makers mark on either. One is missing a guide, the tip top is bad, and it needs cleaning up. The other needs a reel seat and a couple of guides. These are three piece rods and each has two tip sections. My question; should I clean them up, replace missing guides and fish them or leave them be? Is there any value to these things or any reason that I should not attempt to restore and fish them?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old bamboo fly rods can be pretty valuable. A lot depends on the maker.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I was recently given two old bamboo fly rods. I don't see any trademark, dates, or makers mark on either. One is missing a guide, the tip top is bad, and it needs cleaning up. The other needs a reel seat and a couple of guides. These are three piece rods and each has two tip sections. My question; should I clean them up, replace missing guides and fish them or leave them be? Is there any value to these things or any reason that I should not attempt to restore and fish them?

With no markings perfect tomato stakes is the likely answer but if they have sentimental attachment then rebuild them and fish with them.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bamboo flyrods are cool they have a very slow action. At the very least you will get to experience something the majority of others never will. I have 4 or 5 and none of them are Orvis rods. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
There probably isn’t any real value if you don’t know the maker. I have a closet full of bamboo, some of them very nice. A 3 piece is generally a 9 foot rod and very heavy. They are wall hangers and may not be worth price or time to repair. Pictures would help, Glenn Brackett of Sweet Grass Rods in Butte, MT is the best authority on bamboo I know.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will get some photos soon. I suspect they may be home built but I don't know.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There were tens of thousands of low cost split bamboo fishing rods, both fly and spinning, imported from Japan in the 1950s and 1960s. Most that I've seen were functional, but couldn't compared to anything from Orvis. That's not to say that your rods were made in Japan, but without any labels on them to indicate the manufacturer, weight, and length it seems likely that they are.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Rebuild them yourself and you will have a rod to fish with and can be proud of the worker that restored them as well.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an old late 40’s cheap Horrocks and Ibbotson Co. bamboo fly rod I fish with a 50’s Pflueger Medalist Fly Reel. The rod is refinished and new guides and reel seat installed. Fished with a DD 4 weight line, it actually fishes pretty good. 8” trout feel like they weigh 3#. It is a blast on small streams, not to classy but it is fun
If the rods are in good shape,why not take one and fix it up and fish it. Bet you would have a great time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have my dad's and granddads Shakespear bamboo rods that I use one a year either on trout or blue gills. I love the slow action and the fact that they have been in my family since the 1930's. I was thinking of getting them restored, but the dirty cork with the missing slivers hear and there was done by my dad and grandad so they will be passed down.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What 336 says..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/

This is a good site if you're into Bamboo..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,021 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.