Print Thread
Hop To
#16140628 06/03/21
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Buddy wants to mount a light on his Ar's, what do you guys like? price doesn't matter to him, he's setting them up for his Wife and Daughters.

Thanks in advance.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One thing I'd avoid, are those with a wire running to a pressure switch. I've got two mounts. One of them has the wire and it broke after not long. If I'm to hang a light on one, I'm going with a regular flashlight mounted on a rail with a regular on/off switch, usually a tailcap type. Plenty of good, powerful flashlights available on Amazon to fill the bill. A mount isn't hard to pick up.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 06/04/21.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wire to the trigger? Never seen such but the light needs to be operated by the offhand only. Pressure switches are prone to breaking from what I hear, I’ve never used one so can’t know.

Gunner, I like Streamlight lights, prefer 1000 lumens or more. The ProTac HL is mounted on a Thorntail 45 degree offset mount on this rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have a Streamlight TLR1-HL on a Mossie Tactics FSB mount on this gun.
I have another TLR1-HL with a red flip up lense cover on my pig gun but I haven’t used it yet, it’s mounted directly on the top rail. All are activated with my offhand.

Mounting the lights at 11:00, 12:00 or 1:00 as close to the muzzle as possible will reduce the shadow of the barrel and not get in the way of shooting from a rest or barricade.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I use a TLR-VIR II in conjunction with a Sionyx Aurora digital NV unit; white light output is reduced to accommodate the IR illuminator and laser. The TLR-1 HL is a great all-round unit that I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend. Personally, I just use the rocker switch and mount at 3-o'clock (southpaw).

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TLR-1 HL on AR and 870.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since price does not matter a Cloud Defense OWL. Doesn't get any better

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending on its use you need to consider the difference between lumens and candela. Lumens tell you how much light is being projected. Candela tell you what the light it doing. More candela gives you more throw (distance) but not so much spill (close up).

There are good tape switches, but they're not cheap. But good lights aren't either.

If price isn't an object I'd look at OWL and Modlite.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If price isn't an object I'd look at OWL and Modlite.

Yea, they make some nice lights. Great options when you are spending someone else's money.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have surefires and Modlites. I really like the beam on the Modlites better. Tape switches are fine if you buy quality. I don’t hate the Streamlight’s but I’ve seen their tape switches break more than the others. The important thing about set up is making sure you can activate it with your support hand using your normal grip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like a light on my social justice AR rifles. A Surefire on one, a Streamlight on another. Both do the job

Sam......

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The guys here suggested that I try a light. Finally got a couple Streamlight ProTac rails and mounted one, using the tape switch, for now, on an 11.5" pistol. The momentary feature seems like it will be handy, with the Eotech. I sure likeTWR's mount solution in the top picture, and that would have worked nicely on this one where 90 degrees left didn't. Less spill seems like a good goal. Hmmm.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks everyone, did talk to bud yesterday, he said all the shooters are right handed, i directed him to this website and thread, i do like TWR's top picture setup myself.

A simple thumb push at the bottom of a light on the way to closing one's grip should do them fine, Thanks again for the suggestions.

Trump Won!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Pressure switch on the top. Brightest light you can get while keeping the gun handy.

In my experience if it gets shot and thrown around a lot, the light will eventually die.

Spares are good.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
While playing around with the top gun and this gun, both have Sionics pencil barrels, the weight of the light on the 15” hand guard out front makes a huge difference. Something else to think about.
Streamlight TLR1-HL 1000 lumen light mounted on the top rail. The flip up front sight clears the light once the red cover is flipped. Of course this is a hog gun and I don’t see the need for flip up sights but they came built into the rail so it matters not.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why don’t you mount the light below the barrel, it doesn’t make sense to me to put it in your line of vision

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's not in my line of vision, I'm looking over the lights and I shoot with both eyes open. Placing it on the bottom doesn't work well when shooting off a barricade or even a bi-pod. That's why I really prefer 12:00 and the TLR type lights, also my thumb is on top of the rail, not under it and I don't like pressure switches as noted. But years ago that was the only place I could mount a light (6:00) and hunting at night it was always getting banged around on something. Okay when walking out to retrieve a dead coyote that sometimes ain't so dead but when you're up in the killing chair, you forget it's under there and they usually get banged around on the shooting rail.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

236 members (257 mag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 29 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,540
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.