Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yes Sir I’m going to give it till mid week and then I’ll share the name. Actually I’m hoping he sees this and gets him off his arse to do the right thing.

GB1

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm in Colorado.
At least give us the town the guy is in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drive to a gunsmith that, in my opinion, is perhaps the best gunsmith I've ever known. It's over a 3 hour drive one way, but his work is in my opinion, perfect. He's in his 90's and keeps saying he wants to retire, but he knows I drive across the state to his shop.
You're damn lucky if you find a smith as good as this guy.

I wish I had known how poor a local smith was - Ortonville, MN. His work seriously detracted from the value of the rifle I took him and he had the gall to charge me money for his damage. He doesn't take work in over the web, so there's no need to drag his name here. If a local person asks me about his work, I'll tell him my experience.

I had another so called smith seriously damage a 1886 Winchester 1 of 500. He's no longer in the business. (South Sioux City, NE.)

I believe you should share this guy's contact information so that others don't be taken by this guy, since he is taking business in over the web.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Friend of mine's dad got scammed by a taxidermist back in the late 70s. The guy literally disappeared with his deer head and money

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There's no room for this nonsense! He needs to make it right! That's it! Get his address and send the right collector! If you know what I mean! This is still America!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Had a smith screw up 3 barrels. Same boy had filled out form 4 papers for a can. It took months to get the barrels, Had to have a real one fix them. After six months of waiting on response for my $200.00 stamp, I called the NFA #. I found out they did not send it in. A large buddy of mine and I walked in to his shop early in the morning. I kept my back to him as he came in and greeted us, and locked the shop door. As he walked over to us and I turned around. His eyes said it all. I asked him if he remembered me. It was great. We went in to the office and he wrote me out a check for the full amount. First stop was his bank, cashed the check and spread the word. He is a crook.

Last edited by wyowinchester; 06/06/21.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If it is Memphis I know who you would be talking about. What a POS this guy was. Lesson hard learned with both money lost and shoddy work. It took me probably 20-30 hours over a month to fix all his [bleep]-ups, but I did the job right.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might mention you are writing letters to the State Attorney's offices in his and your states.

Last edited by 5thShock; 06/06/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lacking all the details, it's hard to say what's going on.

Honestly, the best bet is to just ask for the return of the gun. Keep it positive and out of the mud. No good will come from getting into a pizzing match and dragging stuff like this across the interweb. Give the 'smith a chance to exit the situation gracefully and move on from there.

Being the bigger person in a deal like this is hard but better in the long run.

Hope it all works out for you, sir. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B3

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Honestly, the best bet is to just ask for the return of the gun. Keep it positive and out of the mud. No good will come from getting into a pizzing match and dragging stuff like this across the interweb. Give the 'smith a chance to exit the situation gracefully and move on from there.

Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

What other details would be helpful?
I’ve gotten it will be shipped next week for 7 weeks. I sent everything needed for the build.$1500 worth.

Last edited by fe1; 06/07/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been faced with this same situation twice over the years, once with a stockmaker, and once on a complete build. In both cases the work took maybe 8-10 times longer than originally promised. In both cases the work was being done 1000+ miles away thus visiting them was not really an option.

In both cases, my solution was to make myself so much of a pain in the azz that they couldn't wait to get rid of me: call in the morning, call at night, call at lunch, call on the weekend. Tell them you told me X, please explain again why X isn't happening? In both cases it took me months of effort, but I eventually got all my stuff back, and we are talking about thousands of dollars of potential losses.

Good luck, yes it is very frustrating.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by TimZ
I have been faced with this same situation twice over the years, once with a stockmaker, and once on a complete build. In both cases the work took maybe 8-10 times longer than originally promised. In both cases the work was being done 1000+ miles away thus visiting them was not really an option.

In both cases, my solution was to make myself so much of a pain in the azz that they couldn't wait to get rid of me: call in the morning, call at night, call at lunch, call on the weekend. Tell them you told me X, please explain again why X isn't happening? In both cases it took me months of effort, but I eventually got all my stuff back, and we are talking about thousands of dollars of potential losses.

Was there nothing the ATF or Sheriffs department could do?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fe1
Originally Posted by TimZ

Was there nothing the ATF or Sheriffs department could do?

In most cases, no, what is the charge going to be? Would suggest your odd are better handling it yourself than getting authorities involved.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a bullshit post.. without details. Need to know both sides.

Aside from that, you're [bleep].

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GeoW
This is a bullshit post.. without details. Need to know both sides.

Aside from that, you're [bleep].

g

You should read everything before you spout off!
What details are you referring to?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any details about the other person and his side of the story. That too difficult?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
If you read everything I explained it!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Holy crap.... Apparently there's a ton of really bad 'smiths out there, according to the posts above.. Sure doesn't help the profession.. eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deleted at OP request.

Last edited by GeoW; 06/07/21.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.