Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Ok folks I need some advice on how to handle a bad situation with a gunsmith please.
I live in Texas and sent all the components to have a custom Remington 700 built by a gunsmith in Colorado.
I chose the gunsmith due to his supposedly 2 week turn around time.
It’s been over 2 months now with the gunsmith promising weekly that the rifle would ship next week.
The last promise was stated to be shipped today.
Well now he won’t accept or return my calls or text messages.
What can I do to get my completed rifle or my components back?
Thanks in advance

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drive to Colorado. 😬

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/04/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Caveat emptore when it comes to gunsmiths and quick turnaround claims, it pays to do your due diligence. Someone who is a member of the American Custom Gunsmith Guild would have the business ethic to deliver work when promised. There are also several 'smiths who post here on the 'Fire who deliver on their turnaround promises. I have been in your situation on more than one occassion, file a complaint with the Colorado State Attorney General's Office although two months overdue isn't likely to get much attention. In the situations I was involved in I eventually got my gun/parts back no money though and it took more than a year. There are some so called 'smiths out there who are nothing more than crooks.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Actually here on the forum is where I made my original contact with him 😁
I’ve been told to contact the ATF.
What’s your thoughts on that?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
There are some so called 'smiths out there who are nothing more than crooks.

Say it isn't so! LOL

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fe1
I’ve been told to contact the ATF.
What’s your thoughts on that?

Seriously doubt that will help. They might wanna come “inspect” your other guns, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
ATF won't do anything about the gunsmith, neither will they come to inspect your guns. That's the most azzinine statement I've ever heard. The long and the short of it is that basically you're stuck. The case I was referring to involving the State Attorney General Office took quite a while, they were well aware of the individual who was the topic of my complaint. There had been many other complaints, eventually they filed a class action lawsuit. Several months after that my shotgun showed up unannounced, it was still in the same package I had shipped it in. Never been opened much less worked on in spite of the fact I had been lied to regarding the status of the job. When communication ceases you're in for a real hassle, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have BTDT.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunswizard
ATF won't do anything about the gunsmith, neither will they come to inspect your guns. That's the most azzinine statement I've ever heard. The long and the short of it is that basically you're stuck. The case I was referring to involving the State Attorney General Office took quite a while, they were well aware of the individual who was the topic of my complaint. There had been many other complaints, eventually they filed a class action lawsuit. Several months after that my shotgun showed up unannounced, it was still in the same package I had shipped it in. Never been opened much less worked on in spite of the fact I had been lied to regarding the status of the job. When communication ceases you're in for a real hassle, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have BTDT.

I agree with this

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fe1

What is the screen name so the rest of us can avoid him?

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by boliep
Originally Posted by fe1

What is the screen name so the rest of us can avoid him?

+ 1

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B3

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
For the life of me I can’t remember or find any of my correspondence with him here.
I’m still trying to find it.
The conversation originally was here and the we went directly to text and phone calls.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by fe1
For the life of me I can’t remember or find any of my correspondence with him here.
The conversation originally was here and the we went directly to text and phone calls.

You don't have a "ship to" address ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yes but how will that help?
I know the business and owners name just not his screen name here.

Last edited by fe1; 06/05/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fe1
Yes but how will that help?
I know the business and owners name just not his screen name here.

Someone will. Post his name

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Knowing the personality of some of the "Crusty Old Fahrt" gunsmiths, the more he hears from ya, the further back you job gets.

Others are just bad businessmen and can afford to get bad press.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have dealt with 5 gunsmiths over the years and 2 of them were absolutely horrible. Seems to be a profession where time and promises mean nothing. I have heard every excuse you can imagine and I did my due diligence. Sometimes it is partly a crap shoot.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I have dealt with 5 gunsmiths over the years and 2 of them were absolutely horrible. Seems to be a profession where time and promises mean nothing. I have heard every excuse you can imagine and I did my due diligence. Sometimes it is partly a crap shoot.

In some forty years of shooting in Australia I found one who was excellent...I mean absolutely magic to deal with, then he retired.

All the rest were either crooked, incompetent, or believed their own bullshit and erroneously believed they were Da Vinci reincarnated.

I try to avoid dealing with that sort now.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by fe1

I think it is time to throw the bull [bleep] flag on this post.

What you say above is hard to believe. Plus you will not send the shipping address either.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

F
fe1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I really don’t care what you think!
I have the shipping address and the company name and his name.
You should probably pay more attention to what you read and read everything in its entirety but I’ll spell it out for you.
“I don’t remember his screen name for this site”.
I asked for advice on what to do about the situation nothing more nothing less.
So unless you have some useful information on what can be done legally to get my $1500.00 worth of parts back you can keep your “I think “ to yourself!

Last edited by fe1; 06/06/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legally you can sue him but good luck doing that across state lines for an item worth $1500. In two or three years you might get your parts back.

People have already given you good advice but apparently you balk at taking it. Identifying him here and putting public pressure on him is your best bet to get things moving, plain and simple. His screen name would be useful but isn't necessary, just post the company name and address. As noted, someone will know him.

Doing that still isn't a guarantee of getting the rifle completed or getting the parts back but at this point it should be clear that the guy is a liar and makes commitments he can't keep so you're not going to be any worse off.

My experiences with gunsmiths are the same as jmp300wsm and JSTUART. A good one who knows his stuff and meets his commitments is a rare find, I've only known four in the last 40 years. I have known a couple who really were good gunsmiths in that they knew their craft, but one loved his beer more than working on guns and the other thought he was P.O. Ackley reincarnated but wouldn't take one shred of responsibility for commitments and was a self-centered, vindictive prick. The others just put a shingle out that said "gunsmith" but they knew as much about gunsmithing as I do about brain surgery.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.