Hop To
Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's here! It's here!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It locks up tight, timing is good, action is smooth, and I haven't even taken it apart yet. wink

Got some really crappy Remington .44 Special ammo.... only about half the cases have a crimp. A few of the uncrimped ones won't even chamber all the way because the case mouth still has a tiny amount of bell.... ugh. Oh, well, I'll pull the bullets from those, and shoot out the rest of them. I gotta get my press bench set up, and I'll load up some black powder cartridges! wink

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Very cool. That model was actually submitted to the US Military to replace the 1860 Army but the Army wanted some improvements, one of which was a closed top, like on the Remington. Colt responded by designing the 1873 SAA.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
PS Those guns are easy as can be to take down to the last screw and small part and reassemble.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cool!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why don't you just crimp the ones that need it and shoot them.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no more elegant handgun than the 1860 Army and the 1872 is the ultimate evolution of it.

I've had to recrimp a bunch of shatay Remington ammo over the years but once recrimped, it's almost like somebody reputable made it. So get some fuel for that open top and get us a range report.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Crimping them down does make more sense than pulling the bullets!

At the moment,though, I do not have my loading bench set up. A project that I need to get squared away soon.

Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SargeMO
There is no more elegant handgun than the 1860 Army and the 1872 is the ultimate evolution of it.

Elegant is the right word. It is much more sleek and svelte than the SAA... which I always thought looked kind of top heavy and clunky. (I still want one, though... laugh )

It fits (snugly) in the 1860 holster, which will do for the moment. I'll make a proper holster for it soon.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Elegant is the right word. It is much more sleek and svelte than the SAA... which I always thought looked kind of top heavy and clunky. (I still want one, though... laugh )

It fits (snugly) in the 1860 holster, which will do for the moment. I'll make a proper holster for it soon.

By coincidence, I was carrying my 1860 yesterday around the house and property, and it fits snugly in the holster for my Colt SAA. It's like it was made for it, other than about a half inch of the barrel sticking out the bottom.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Crimping them down does make more sense than pulling the bullets!

At the moment,though, I do not have my loading bench set up. A project that I need to get squared away soon.

Where are you located? If you were close to me, I'd crimp them for you, It would only take a minute or two. I'll bet others here would do the same.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats. That is one fine looking weapon. I owned a Richards conversion in 38 Spec. (replica) at one time. Be sure and limit yourself to Cowboy type loads. I'm sure you already knew that. Warm loads can stretch the frame.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Congrats. That is one fine looking weapon. I owned a Richards conversion in 38 Spec. (replica) at one time. Be sure and limit yourself to Cowboy type loads. I'm sure you already knew that. Warm loads can stretch the frame.

I have a different opinion on that. Frame stretching is mainly a problem with brass frames. Standard, SAAMI Spec, Non-Plus-P, loads should be fine, I would think. These guns are made of modern steel, and the open top Colt design isn't as weak as often made out to be. The steel arbor firmly affixed to the back of the steel frame is what mainly bears the explosive force when fired, and that connection is pretty strong, and should hold up fine.

Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't think they're as "weak" as they're made out to be either. Still, I have no intention of shooting anything "hot" through this gun. If I can get a 245 grain SWC moving about 850 fps, that would take care of anything I would ever need it to do. That ain't that hot, and not much different from the .45ACP that many people rely on. I might even be able to do that with Swiss black powder! (if I can get any now!). Even GOEX might get me somewhat close to that speed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hickok likes it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In conventional BP revolvers, it's the arbor and wedge that take the beating. With a steel frame, securely mounted arbor and a hardened & fitted wedge, they will run a long time on standard-for-platform loads. I'd bet the maker took that into account and puts extra effort into the cartridge conversions, Anytime I need a good hard wedge, I order Uberti.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/el-californio-the-italian-1860-army/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.