Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
What number would you consider acceptable in a 22 Hornet small game loading?

We deal in lead, friend.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW to me velocity SD is more and more important as the range lengthens. For the distances at which I'll use my .22 Hornet - 200 yards maximum on a still day - it is not something I worry about. In still conditions I can group five rounds under 2 inches at 200 consistently with my rifle, and that is about good enough to knock off a rabbit or similar sized critter at that distance from a rested position when conditions favour it. I simply don't shoot anything further away with that rifle, and while I have SD figures written down somewhere, in practice I don't worry about it with this round.

YMMV

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 41rem

Depends on your purpose, doesn't it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t deviate from the standard

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I don't have an answer for that, but I do have a question: How many shots will you fire to generate your estimate of SD?

Last edited by mathman; 06/02/21.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman

I don't have an answer for that, but I do have a question: How many shots will you fire to generate your estimate of SD?

Exactly--and it has to be tied into the other important factors also mentioned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It takes more shots to get a good estimate of standard deviation than most people suppose, and when you do get it, it is a lot less important than many suppose.

That said, the commercial ammunition I have tested had an SD around 35 FPS. It's easy to handload to 20 FPS, and with a little effort you can get into the low teens. But it is practically never worth the effort to do that.

Be not weary in well doing.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
We’ll I’m at a SD of 32 FPS on a 10 shot string. Must be decent as I’m getting 1/2” to 5/8” for my 5 shot groups at 100 yards consistently off a rest.

We deal in lead, friend.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If I'm getting good accuracy, I never look at these numbers.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by lotech

Originally Posted by denton
It takes more shots to get a good estimate of standard deviation than most people suppose, and when you do get it, it is a lot less important than many suppose.

That said, the commercial ammunition I have tested had an SD around 35 FPS. It's easy to handload to 20 FPS, and with a little effort you can get into the low teens. But it is practically never worth the effort to do that.

I like these responses.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
41rem Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Lol….ok.

Just trying to use all the information my Chronograph gives gives me to my advantage

We deal in lead, friend.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

For a 22 Hornet that the OP is talking about this is acceptable advise, for a longer range cartridge you have to look at the numbers

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Can't help myself:

Most handloaders have no clue how many rounds ("samples") are required to come up with a reasonably valid standard deviation number. In fact the ONLY reason they're vaguely aware of SD is because their inexpensive chronograph provides an SD number, even of only three rounds.

The major ammo factories I've visited (including their ballistic test labs) generally consider at least 40 rounds as minimum to provide a meaningful SD number. This doesn't mean their ammo will always result in the finest accuracy, but it does provide a better chance of pretty fair accuracy in a wide variety of rifles.

It's also much more meaningful than the SD number handloaders arrive at after a 3-shot string--which has about as much statistical reliability as betting on an inside straight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
.. I’m getting 1/2” to 5/8” for my 5 shot groups at 100 yards consistently off a rest.

I'd stop thinking about SD. Check it at 200 to see what sort of accuracy and drop you are getting out at the further distance, and then get off the range and go shoot some small game with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Can't help myself:...
--which has about as much statistical reliability as betting on an inside straight.

On the "turn" or the "river?" Big difference!
(Couldn't help myself either... LOL)

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by boatanchor

For a 22 Hornet that the OP is talking about this is acceptable advise, for a longer range cartridge you have to look at the numbers

I think you're right. I suspect that shooting beyond about 400 - 500 yards will bring real meaning to these numbers that many obsess over needlessly at shorter ranges. My response was in regard to the shorter distances because most shooters, myself included, don't shoot at long range.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The primary use of the 3 shot SD calc is to come on here and brag about it.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll add an observation. As others have said, It means virtually nothing in a small data size. But what i have observed over time (decades, in some cases) is that more often than not, a load (even with only 3 shots of data per string) is more likely than not to remain consistent over time (effectively, a larger data size). Looking over the multiple pages on my spreadsheet, low SD/AD loads also show a trend to be more accurate. So when starting out, i use it as an additional indicator of potential.
But, the only real data that matters is consistent accuracy over time. I can't afford to shoot statistically relevant strings when developing a load so have come to rely on these observations.

My hypothesis is that this trend would be true for high SD/AD loads, but honestly, I do not have data over time for "underperforming loads", nor have i plotted all of my data on a graph which would be skewed towards loads that perform.

Again, these are trends based on observations, not rules.

Last edited by Centennial; 06/05/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.