Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dan_H Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My wife was riding her bike down the road and a small bull came out of the trees and chased her for about 80 yards.
She rode her bike another quarter of a mile or so and waited. She was out of sight of the moose.

After calling the neighbor and waiting for him to show up in a vehicle she rode back towards home. Moose came out of the woods in a different spot and chased her around the vehicle until she jumped inside.
Moose left. She got out and moose came back out of the trees and chased her around the vehicle again.

After a few minutes of the bull being gone into the trees she got out and started heading down the road on her bike. The moose again came out of the trees and chased her. Neighbor was following my wife but the moose cut in front of him to chase her. (he was prepared to put the moose down) After about 100 yards the bull went back into the trees.

Bull was reported as very scraggly looking, not to mention agitated.

Both of our dogs were running with her but the bull has been around the dogs enough that both moose and dogs ignore each other.

Another Nikiski worman was injured by a moose a few days earlier.

Late spring? hungry? any other probably causes for the behavior?

Field notes: an electric bike is the way to go if being chased by a moose

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
GO BACK DO THE 3 S.S.S. before someone gets hurt

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Dan_H Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Forgot to add that she has contacted F&G about the issue. They told her to pack when she does chores and DLP if needed.

I rode my bike and hers also up and down that road for the week prior without an issue. Stuff happens when one goes to the salt mine.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Glad all are safe, Dan!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Had a similar experience last year. Got chased by a young cow, evaded, she went back in the woods, I continued on, and she came back all business. I shot her in the neck, which made her lose interest but didn't kill her.

I would be sure to be armed, but they are just unpredictable. Got charged by another young cow about a week ago in the yard but was able to dodge her easily. My theory with the first one was that she had a calf stashed nearby, but never did see it. Young bulls have been by far the #1 offenders for charges, until my recent string of bad luck with the ladies. Maybe it is just their first big run up of hormones that makes them ornery?

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So, she kept getting out of the vehicle? Smart gal

D
Dan_H Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My wife is smart and has experience working around animals. We raise reindeer and have a bull - keeping a close eye on his behavior is a safety precaution all year long.
The moose went back into the woods each time before she go out and attempted to get the bike home. This fiasco lasted almost an hour.
She has been around moose for decades and is knowledgeable about their normal behavior.
this bulls behavior was way out of the norm for this time of year. Cows with new born calves - well one can expect to get charged if you get too close.
Observations or experience from others as to the why is the reason for the post.

Now if it had happened to me....I'd still be riding up and down the road trying to figure out how many times the moose would charge

D
Dan_H Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
mike - it is about time for a trail ride and bbq...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan I no nothing about moose . but a good friends wife that is an avid hunter has had a lot of WT bucks in the last 30 years come to her when she is on her period . had bucks come in running when on a stand and follow her to the truck when she walked out . I don't know if that was the reason but she would kill a buck when nobody saw a deer . and it was any buck big or small .

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Probably several things adding up to stress that bull. Poor condition, and his mama ran him off to have her new calves, perhaps. Also, temperaments among individuals vary. He was likely pissed off and used from multiple attempts to rejoin his mother. I killed a young bull one fall that, even then, kept attempting to join his mother and her calf. I'd watched them for several weeks prior to season, and she took a chunk out him more than once. I fixed his problem for him with a running shot- shotgun slug at 30 yards... I jumped him, and startled, he made a bee-line for the old lady, but had to get by me first. smile

We had a young bull here years ago that was just plain Ornery - which is what we called him. He blind-sided and bruised one neighbor lady when she was getting in her car. Another neighbor wanted to go to town one day but Ornery was by his truck. He nailed Ornery in the ribs with a flu-flu arrow. Ornery jumped, then picked up the arrow and chewed on it. Rip decided he could go to town the next day. Rip later ate Ornery I think, season be hanged.....

He almost got me one day when I was pounding on my boat, with him bedded in the driveway about 35 yards away. I looked up in time to see him charging me, and barely beat him to the door, where he stood with his face pressed against the glass daring me to come out and fight like a man. In turning the corner at the stairs to the deck above, following me as I made the door, he knocked my Pentax film camera off the steps and broke it.

Another time Ornery was licking road salt off my tailgate when I came out, and he started for me. I went back in the house, got my wrist-rocket and the biggest piece of split shot I could find, and when he tried it again I nailed him in the nose at about 10 feet. I went to town.... smile

One spring I was coming back from town and had to ease the truck by a yearling cow just separated from her mother.

She was standing in a puddle in the middle of the road, head and ears hanging, and didn't move as I went by her, her head just inches from my mirror. A more dejected looking animal I have never seen - even my dogs! My wife had come home 20 minutes or so earlier, with identical scenario.

"My Mom doesn't love me anymore!" smile

Last edited by las; 06/06/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Another time Ornery was licking road salt off my tailgate when I came out, and he started for me. I went back in the house, got my wrist-rocket and the biggest piece of split shot I could find, and when he tried it again I nailed him in the nose at about 10 feet. I went to town.... smile

Marbles for the win.

#BTDT

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dan_H
mike - it is about time for a trail ride and bbq...

Ya betcha!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably Trump Derangement Syndrome... or the mange.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/07/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_H
My wife was riding her bike down the road and a small bull came out of the trees and chased her for about 80 yards.
She rode her bike another quarter of a mile or so and waited. She was out of sight of the moose.

After calling the neighbor and waiting for him to show up in a vehicle she rode back towards home. Moose came out of the woods in a different spot and chased her around the vehicle until she jumped inside.
Moose left. She got out and moose came back out of the trees and chased her around the vehicle again.

After a few minutes of the bull being gone into the trees she got out and started heading down the road on her bike. The moose again came out of the trees and chased her. Neighbor was following my wife but the moose cut in front of him to chase her. (he was prepared to put the moose down) After about 100 yards the bull went back into the trees.

Bull was reported as very scraggly looking, not to mention agitated.

Both of our dogs were running with her but the bull has been around the dogs enough that both moose and dogs ignore each other.

Another Nikiski worman was injured by a moose a few days earlier.

Late spring? hungry? any other probably causes for the behavior?

Field notes: an electric bike is the way to go if being chased by a moose
They are going from their winter to summer coat, we had a cow with 2 calves come by our place this weekend and she looked very scraggly.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bikes seem to set off critters

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender

Marbles for the win.

#BTDT

Lost my marbles years ago. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Bikes seem to set off critters

Yes, especially with horses. Horses view bikes as predators. They relatively small and low to the ground and move quietly. Always have to call out to bikers on a trail to speak so the horses realize it’s a human.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by ironbender

Marbles for the win.

#BTDT

Lost my marbles years ago. smile

I still have a couple spares!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Worked a Yellowstone Park a couple of years full-time. Critters would ignore walkers when a Bike came by a lot of time they would charge towards the biker saw it many times. Something about the bike would set them off. Don't encourage biking in bear country, we will find out when my electric bike gets here.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Worked a Yellowstone Park a couple of years full-time. Critters would ignore walkers when a Bike came by a lot of time they would charge towards the biker saw it many times. Something about the bike would set them off. Don't encourage biking in bear country, we will find out when my electric bike gets here.

Medred got taken off his bike and bit by a sow with cubs.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.