Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunzo
I've been shooting steel & that's what this was about; a bullet worthy of claimed BC & not needing hockus pockus to get to shoot well.

Shooting match bullets at game & expecting, or experiencing this or that is just, well....sorry guys, bull chit.

If you have good results, ya lucked out. Bad results, exxxxpected. Really, don't ya think?

whistle

Stick to sitting in a deer stand in Kentucky...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
I've been shooting steel & that's what this was about; a bullet worthy of claimed BC & not needing hockus pockus to get to shoot well.

Shooting match bullets at game & expecting, or experiencing this or that is just, well....sorry guys, bull chit.

If you have good results, ya lucked out. Bad results, exxxxpected. Really, don't ya think?

whistle

LMAO

šŸ¦«

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

whistle

I could choot deer while sitting on the chitter but there are still better/more dependable bullets for killin. But the truck seat is my preferred spot. grin

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I keep expecting all these bad results, and am disappointed every damn timeā€¦..

Was that Einstein that said doing the same thing over & over & expecting "different" results was the sign of insanity??

Never mind, didn't you get that tag when you rode bulls? cool

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider

whistle

If you really believe that then you're totally clueless on this subject.

Ignorant maybe, but clues abound. Sierra states Match bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications, & Hornady recommends target shooting only.

Several of you seem to have used them on game with acceptable results. But if they fail, it's on the user. Reports in this thread about failures. So, If I think ya done good, or lucked out with a match bullet on game, how am I clueless.

Tell me, I ask to learn, not to argue.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've killed probably 50 feral hogs with the 147/6.5CM combo, running 2700 at the muzzle. Some exited, some didn't, and it killed the crap out of the hog which are much tougher than any deer. I'm not guessing like you are.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've killed probably 50 feral hogs with the 147/6.5CM combo, running 2700 at the muzzle. Some exited, some didn't, and it killed the crap out of the hog which are much tougher than any deer. I'm not guessing like you are.

At this point I though it plain I'm asking, conceding I haven't done it . Why the macho chit you've done it ? No guessing here, full discloser here, asking, WTF is wrong with that?????????

Dammit man.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's not macho chit.... He's telling you he HAS done it. No guessing, and he disclosed fully. Why keep asking?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I could choot deer while sitting on the chitter but there are still better/more dependable bullets for killin. But the truck seat is my preferred spot. grin

Just saying, this doesn't sound like you're asking ..

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

Just saying, this doesn't sound like you're asking ..

Greg, I'll stand on my opinion that there are better bullets to kill with, but asking after a few took offense. The match bullets working for some, contrary to manufacturers recommendations.

There is also a post in thread of failures on game, in all this, dismiss that? OK

IC B3

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
It's not macho chit.... He's telling you he HAS done it. No guessing, and he disclosed fully. Why keep asking?

"Why keep asking"

To try to address my opinion vs. hurt feelers for folks using match bullets to kill with.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I've killed quite a few things with the 147 ELD's and I plan on doing so again.

Just because Sierra Match Kings are unpredictable doesn't mean the Hornady's are.

The .224 75 ELD's and .244 105 Amax are impressive on game too for whatever that's worth.

140 grain .270 Bergers worked great too back when they were considered "tinfoil bullets".

Are the 139 Scenars recommended for game? LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

"Why keep asking"

To try to address my opinion vs. hurt feelers for folks using match bullets to kill with.

Only a complete idiot has an opinion on something he's never owned or used.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Where is Trystan when you need him?

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

"Why keep asking"

Only a complete idiot has an opinion on something he's never owned or used.

Oh, now we've gone to name calling. Good job. Admitted to not using them, wanted to know if they were accurate, easy to work up a load for. Then I questioned there use on game & 50 hogs were offered. Hogs in pen? 100 yards? 500? your the final word on their performance? A 223 with FMJs would suffice in some of those situations, wouldn't they????? Owning them?? WTF? Yep, waiting for next welfare check to get me some.

Again, dammit man.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
What's the TKO numbers on a .223 FMJ again?

HA!

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Higginez
What's the TKO numbers on a .223 FMJ again?

HA!

What barrel length ? Vel. x bullet wt. x dia. Speed matters. Or not. If the pigs are in a pen.

Ha! Taylor knock out LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

whistle

If you are just shooting steel, then I'm having a hard time understanding why you are engaging in a discussion about the merits of a "match" bullet on animals, with people that have had positive experiences with that bullet on actual animals.

So you have a question about accuracy and precision, which is fine, then it devolves into the topic of whether said bullet is suitable for game?

So which is it? Target use, or game use? Or do you want to just argue, online?

If you want to argue, I'd say that you've got a few people that don't always agree on things, but they are in agreement stating that the bullet in question works fine on animals. Based on their experiences. Frankly, that says a lot to me. Is that definitive proof? Nope. But it's more than your statements, based on advertising or literature.

If you want to bring an argument against the bullet, the one that you started this thread about, what information can you share that shows that it is unsuitable for hunting animals?

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/24/21.
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
4th point, you've got a point.

But I initially just ask if the bullet was easy to load for & liked by various guns.

Then the thread turned to performance on game & I voiced my opinion on that. I didn't broach this in the beginning, so there is no "which is it" I voiced my opinion afterward. Then, the argument ensued, or I guess it wasn't an argument until I countered after the name calling. What can I say? Your comments are noted.

Literature info for sure. Advertising? Hardly. When a mfr,. recommends against sing something for this or that, it ain't advertising. Well, unless we consider it might be a plug for another product. Hornady makes M's &X's, some very close or exact in weight. Why? Just to add more part numbers or inventory?

I don't know. My reason for trying, to discuss all this.

Past bed time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

whistle

The 147ELD has performed very well for me on Elk and Mule Deer. Not to discount the 'failures', but they can be found on the Internet for almost any bullet. They are noted, but I'll keep hunting the 147 until myself or buds find them wanting.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.