Print Thread
Hop To
Page 65 of 67 1 2 63 64 65 66 67
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I am near the 200 mile mark, for 2021. Will probably hit it by the end of the week, I am 75

[
IImpressive and a good motivation for me, I am 70 , 15 months after a triple by-pass. Walking about 4-5 times a week here in hot, flat Florida. I track my time but realize I should also track my mileage. Time for me to crank it up some.
I have been suffering from really bad insomnia since the surgery, sleeping pills don't help.

Also plan to start swimming laps in lap pool.
I really enjoy this thread.

Last edited by swaincreek; 04/17/21.
BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by swaincreek
I am near the 200 mile mark, for 2021. Will probably hit it by the end of the week, I am 75

[
IImpressive and a good motivation for me, I am 70 , 15 months after a triple by-pass. Walking about 4-5 times a week here in hot, flat Florida. I track my time but realize I should also track my mileage. Time for me to crank it up some.
I have been suffering from really bad insomnia since the surgery, sleeping pills don't help.

Consistency is the key, not overdue it but stay with it. You can increase frequency and distance as time goes on, but don't burn out trying to hard.

Last edited by elkmen1; 04/17/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I hit 300 miles last week, March was good to me. I will be missing more days now as we are getting ready to begin our spring migration back north and I have lots of little projects to complete, before leaving.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
still alive, still racking up the miles smile

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pix as always MTWarden.
Good to see you guys still at it. A lot of issues this winter/spring has kept me from hiking/snowshoeing but I'm hitting the bike and treadmill 4x a week.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^ sounds like your still moving a good bit- keep it up! smile

did a two day/one night trip into the Bob the weekend before- not a sign of a human anywhere (but sign of a couple of grizzlies out and about!)- back to back 17 mile days w/ at least half on snowshoes and plenty of climbing- good test run for the Bob Marshall Open at the end of this month laugh

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was able to participate in my seventh Bob Marshall Wilderness Open this past weekend; 80-ish miles with 16,000' of gain in 57 hours- the numbers don't tell the whole story though- lots of high water to deal with (got swept once on the North Fork of the Blackfoot!), lots of snow to contend with and lots of blowdown to negotiate, but some damn nice country and that's what keeps me going back smile

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Congrats, that is an accomplishment. It is a true test of a "mountain guy".

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How does the Bob work that? Is it a “race” of sorts with a given route, or pick your own method and hope to finish?

Looks tough but fun.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

Yes very similar to the Alaska Classic in format, but unlike the Classic- not an "official" race- no entry fees, no registration, no t-shirts, etc. Each year prior to the event the organizer announces the start and finish points, how you get there is totally up to you. Each year the start/finish are changed.

It's interesting to see how many various routes are chosen; I often go in thinking everyone will take this route, but only to find out almost everyone is going a different way. Rafters obviously will often go out of their way a bit to optimize floating potential.

This year was interesting in that about two weeks prior to the start we got smoked by a large winter storm, a lot of the higher country in the Bob saw up to 2' of additional snow. The organizer changed the starting location as he was afraid folks wouldn't even make it to the trailhead.

It's definitely the pinnacle point of my training.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
damn. 16000 ft in 57 hours? quite a feat especially with conditions

I did just 4 miles today 2000 feet with a 40 lb pack and I feel like a poosy. lol

very very impressive

Originally Posted by mtwarden
I was able to participate in my seventh Bob Marshall Wilderness Open this past weekend; 80-ish miles with 16,000' of gain in 57 hours- the numbers don't tell the whole story though- lots of high water to deal with (got swept once on the North Fork of the Blackfoot!), lots of snow to contend with and lots of blowdown to negotiate, but some damn nice country and that's what keeps me going back smile

Last edited by ribka; 06/06/21.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Danke smile I'll admit I was pretty beat up, but fortunately about 3 days (with some easy hiking and lots and lots of eating) I started easing out of it and now feel pretty good.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Again, Good work!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

We've had a stretch of record heat of late, so Tiny Elvis and I have been getting up at 4:30 and hitting the trails while there is some semblance of cool. Much too hot for June, hoping this is short lived.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

We've had a stretch of record heat of late, so Tiny Elvis and I have been getting up at 4:30 and hitting the trails while there is some semblance of cool. Much too hot for June, hoping this is short lived.

That's some serious training.
Seriously nice country too.

Is that light green tarp a sheet of Cuben fiber by any chance?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks!

Its been hot. I went at 9 this morning 82 degrees. left dogs at home. I hate hiking in the heat. give me snow any day

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by swaincreek

[

Consistency is the key, not overdue it but stay with it. You can increase frequency and distance as time goes on, but don't burn out trying to hard.

big like. At 58 keeps me motivated

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks! it's a Tarptent Aeon Li- more tent than tarp (full mesh and bathtub floor), but yes it's cuben material- weighs a svelte 17 oz all in with stakes and guy lines smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
agreed on the heat, because of this

I opt for this instead

Page 65 of 67 1 2 63 64 65 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
259 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.