Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
FWIW: The following is a summary of my cost for an African safari in Zimbabwe in 1988. Adjacent to the 1988 cost, I've included what it would've cost in Zim with the same operator, same amount of days, and the same animals taken fifteen years later, and thirty years later. Point being, the longer one waits to go, the more expensive the hunt. Time, and Inflation waits for no one. Plan now, go soon.

Year: 1988

Leopard (1) $1,500
Kudu (2) 1,000
Impala (4) 300
Zebra (2) 1,000
Wildebeest (1) 500
Warthog (3) 375
Baboon (1) 25
Baits (4) 160

Total: $4,860

Year 2003. The same animals, and same number would have been: $9,100. For the year 2018, $16,400

Daily rate for 1988=Eighteen days $5,400. 2003=$9,900. 2018=$18,000

Totals: 1988=$10,260 2003=$19,000 2018=$34,400

As an aside, buffalo trophy fee in 1988 was $1,200. 2003=$2,000. 2018=$4,500.

May of 2018, my dear friend, and Zimbabwe safari operator, fell victim to cancer. Since his demise, and his safari operation, I have no idea what the costs are in today's dollars.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad I made the trips that I did, because it is quickly soaring out of my price range.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I did a 7 day 1:1 hunt in South Africa in 2008 for $5900. It included a 55" kudu, a zebra, a gemsbok, a blesbok, and a Steenburgen. Now they want over $300 trophy fee just for a kudu that size.

I'd like to go back but I need to get healthier first. After that plane ride I'd probably have a big spondylitis flare and screw up my hunt. I've always wanted to hunt Buff like an old school Zim hunt but I couldn't walk it anymore. Glad I did the other hunt when I could enjoy it. Health is the best reason to go sooner.

Bb

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I went on my first safari back in 1983. 24 days in Zimbabwe, 2 buffalo bulls, leopard, elephant, sable, kudu, and a bunch of other plains game, 16 animals total. All in cost back then was $27,000.

Oh, for “the good old days”.

Last edited by CAelknuts; 03/27/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
I went on my first safari back in 1983. 24 days in Zimbabwe, 2 buffalo bulls, leopard, elephant, sable, kudu, and a bunch of other plains game, 16 animals total. All in cost back then was $27,000.

Oh, for “the good old days”.

That was Big Bucks in those days, but man, I bet that was one hell of a good time. I am green with envy, but happy for you to have had that opportunity!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice, and Thanks for the rounding up to today's current values, me i don't care, those memories and experiences are most valuable towards mental health that i equate to a more prosperous and healthy longevity on this earth, and that is invaluable!

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When asked I usually tell people that a plainsgame hunt costs about the same as a real nice ATV, a buffalo hunt about the same as a preemo second hand 4x4 truck, and elephant the same as a new one. It must be true because if I give a dollar figure the usual answer is "but but but I could buy a new truck for that", smile To which I answer "Then you better go buy one".

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's not just the ever increasing costs. It's also the ever changing, some for the better, some for the worst, conditions there.

On the plus side - the general improvements to roads and technology services like cell phone and WIFI access. On the negative side - general reduction/loss of habitat due in most part to population growth and the Chinese "invasion". Sad to say, a lot of blacks thought the "colonists" were the root of all their problems, they haven't seen anything yet the Chinese are setting them up for.

You CAN do a pretty good 7-10 plains game hunt for the same or sometimes less than the cost of some of the crazy prices being asked at some locations for guided whitetail or mule deer hunts. You can have a really good PG hunt for the cost of a guided elk hunt. You can have an exceptional PG hunt for the cost of a guided moose hunt. You can even do PG and a buffalo for the cost of a guided grizz hunt.

If anyone reads most of my posts, they'll see one recurring comment I repeat. If you've ever thought or dreamed of an African safari, go NOW or at least as soon as you can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
going in two months.

no idea of what total cost will be cause it depends on what we shoot.

do know that my internal limit is four figures for Africa costs.

it is easier if one is flexible on size of game shot: shoot a typical not a jumbo giant double big porky pig mbogo.

at least that is my plan for this year.

hope Mozambique can settle down a bit politically.

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you are quoted a package price on a plainsgame hunt, double it and add $5000. That'll get you close with air-fare, incidentals, extra trophies, tips and maybe a small deposit to a taxidermist.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hate to make generalities, but........ Since everything is a la cart in Africa and one does not typically only shoot the main animal, a general rule of thumb for daily & trophy fees is:

Teens for plains game. (1 week)
Twenties for leopard. (1 1/2 to 2 weeks)
Forties for elephant. (12 days)
M'bout a hundred for an importable lion (18-21 days).

Now one can lessen the load by diminishing hunting days, do tuskless, etc and use restraint and now there are some COVID deals out there but those are what one to expect to pay with reputable PHs and bona fide non gimmicky hunts.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 04/29/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been on a dozen hunts to Africa and most of the countries. To me, it costs what it costs. The governments drive most of it in fees and permits. My point is that when you meet a PH, how many of them have much more than a well used double or bolt rifle and a Land Cruiser with 250,000 km on it. In other words, I have never met a rich PH. I have never met a rich safari company owner. I have met some well to do agents, but they struggle as well.

I believe that the hunts on private family ranches are probably the best value. The hunts in dangerous game areas, especially TZ are the most expensive.

My favorite place is Ethiopia and Uganda. Ethiopia is odd in that you have to buy all of the tags up front. The tags are essentially the trophy fees. So, you pay high tag fees and higher than expected daily rates because the safari area owner only makes money on daily fees. In Uganda, it is a mix and there are limited outfits. However, the country is stunning, the game numbers are huge, and there are many other things to do there.

Zim is Zim - unpredictable but totally wild in the north.

Namibia and RSA are tame compared to other places but great to go. Economical as well due to the competition.

Zambia is a hard one. There are so many "add on" fees and stuff. Great place, great people, but watch your costs.

Have not hunted Moz.

Cameron and CAR are crazy, but exciting. Specialized and the costs vary. Getting there is hard and unpleasant but the countries hold the best eland hunting anywhere. Bongo is hard but fun. Requires money and single mindedness to do it.

With all of that said - my best advice is - pick an area that definitely has the animals you are after. Confirm that any way you can. Second, pick an outfit that is not a "churn and burn" outfit and that does not over hunt the area. For example - in RSA, a rancher can overshoot his farm, then buy more animals to restock, not so in Namibia. In Zim, Zambia, TZ - strict quotas but quotas get over sold with the outfitter hoping someone does not tag out so he sells the hunt twice - this is not every outfit. But it merits asking. In Ethiopia and Uganda, the quota is yours as you have paid for it.

Pick the best area.
Pick the PH you have checked out.
Pick the Safari outfit.
Pick an airline to get you there.
Pick an importer if you are bringing heads home.

It all costs money, but you are better off spending too much and getting what you want verses spending too little and not getting a shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Inflation makes the 1988 hunt cost $21,778 in 2018's dollars.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 05/23/21.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have done Africa 5 times. Twice to RSA, once to Zim, once to Namibia and once to Cameroon. I don't see myself going again with the price they want now. Plus I refuse to fly any more. I will not subject myself to the BS in an airport.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have zero interest in going anywhere in which you practically have to hire people to keep you alive while you hunt. That's BS. I'm glad I took the 5 trips over there when I did.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The cost is high relative to what?

The first time I went (RSA in 2006) I killed eight plains game animals. The total cost, including air fare, was the same as a guided elk hunt, for a single elk, in the US West.

The second and third times I hunted dangerous game in Zimbabwe. That costs more, but have you looked at the cost of a brown bear hunt in Alaska recently?

I'm glad I went when I did. I probably won't go again. I'm kind of old now. US regulations have made elephant and lion virtually unobtanium and I don't care to shoot any more plains game.

My advice is to pick a good outfitter and let them figure out where and with whom you should go. I used Atcheson's but there are others.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No [bleep]. Alaska has now become $30K for moose and bear. Haven't priced a sheep lately........plains game is a bargain.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'll go again but settle for a single buff in a wild area.Sometimes simple is better especially if one is low on funds.I will hunt him proper too... up close and shoot offhand with an open sighted bolt rifle or a good double.Maybe I use my custom Ralf Martini/Satterlee 458 Lott! I hear Makuti calling...I need to get in contact with my PH and see what he is up to.

Last edited by swiftshot; 06/06/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.