Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ken, this project will be no secret as I am hoping to relate the expirence of putting together my 220 Howell. The sources of many of my componants will not be disclosed as that may be construed as advertising and that I will not do. I will however provide the names of manufactures of componants and the names of Gun Smiths that I have selected, the Private guys need all the help they can get.
As I now have the brass and dies procured my next step is a barrel then the proper reamers.
I have a question that I hope you may be able to provide some insightfull information on. I am considering using a Carbon fiber barrel if the scope mounting is not an issue with a Ruger #1. I am inquiring of you as to you opinion of the various types of barrels avalible. The throating dimensions if I were to load using bullets other than A-max and any other usefull data. I will be in touch either by PM or phone in the next week or so.

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first guess is that mounting a scope on a Ruger Number One with a carbon-wrapped barrel is going to be impractical if not impossible. The receiver is short, but any scope that you're likely to want to use with the .220 Howell is going to be long. I doubt that the carbon-fiber wrapping around the barrel is going to be hospitable to the front base of a suitable scope mount.

I'm sure that Mike Rock can turn a barrel with a long-enough chamber reinforce to give you plenty of barrel steel out front for the forward base of the scope mount, but that approach strikes me as probably counter-productive and certainly expensive.

Mike Degerness ("carbonman") at Advanced Barrel Systems can advise you about carbon-wrapped barrels better than I can. My advice would be to use either a standard-length bolt action if you're enamored with the carbon-wrapped barrel, or a naked chrome-moly or stainless barrel if you have to use a Ruger Number One action.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ken, I have just been thinking of the carbon fiber barrel and have not yet dedicated myself to such an idea as of the present. I sent Mike a PM a couple days ago and am waiting a reply. The problem is is that there are a lot of really good barrel makers out there and I need to make up my mind who's barrel to use. the carbon idea is not yet out of the running I have a couple ideas on scope mounting that I would like to bounce off of Mike.
What is the recoil like from the 220, I am interested if it is a sharp jolt or how it is precieved. I am wondering because one of my scope mounting ideas involves Weaver style scope mounts, two part, located on the barrel with locating pins in place of screws epoxyed into the barrel carbon wrap. then the mounts epoxyed to barrel. I believe two piece mounts could be more accuratly placed on the barrel as pressue to hold them in place while gluing them on would be consentrated on the area of the mount. the draw back is in this system less adhesive surface is avalible to absorb shock of recoil. That brings to mind does the barrel expand diameter when a round is fired if so the shearing action would eventually make the glue holding the scope bases fail. Better stop while I'm a head and wait for Mike's answer.

Jim

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were going to mount a Weaver base on a carbon-wrapped barrel the way that you describe, I'd use a one-piece base (for more bonding area, epoxied or Loc-Tited on) and further lock it to the barrel with a hose clamp "that it move not," as the KJV says about idols in Jeremiah 10:4. There's a super grade of Loc-Tite, used to retro-mount ventilated ribs on shotgun barrels. I don't know how it compares to epoxy, but it's obviously tougher than the lesser, more familiar Loc-Tite used to keep screws from loosening while leaving then loosenable with screw-drivers.

I haven't really noticed -- let alone evaluated -- the recoil of my .220 Howell rifle. The powder charge is a caseful of slow stuff, so the recoil is theoretically at least a relatively gradual push. The pressure curve supports this theory, too -- it's low, long, and gentle -- not real steep or sharp in its rise, "peak" (really a long curve), or decline. I'll e-mail you a copy of it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ken I recieved the graph and it looks as thought the pressure peak is quite gradual. if there is not a expansion of the carbon fiber when the rifle is fired or fired multiple times I think I will be willing to attempt gluing a scope base to a carbon fiber barrel. locating pins may not be required if a onepiece mount is used and a centerline longitudinally to the barrel is maintained.
I know of several very strong glues, one of which I glued the transom in one of my boats. So far that glue has held up to over 250 hp of Mercury Racing outboard, along with a few brass screws. Alingment pins would make things simpler for sure. It would trully be eaiser to go with a stainless or cm barrel. but what is the fun in that? If you are going to be different go all the way or at least as far as your imingination and money can take you.

Jim

Business as usual
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bullwnkl,

Please email me about the adhesive you used in your transom.

I am about to build a new transom in one of my boats.

Thanks,
Ted

[email protected]

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi there Ken, looks like the Carbon fiber barrel is out...all of the manufactures are so proud of their product that not a single one of the four I made inquiries of has responded... So now it's back to SS too bad I really wanted to try a carbon barrel but if these folks do business in such a slipshod manner I can imigine the quality of their product. All of the regular barrel makers at least responded except one. So I am thinking of trying the fellow you used but have yet to get in touch with him, a buffed SS barrel would look nice on my #1. So now it's back to the drawing board as far as barrels. Take care ken.

Jim.

Business as usual
Bullwnkl

Maybe they were all at a carbon fiber barrel manufacturer's symposium and the stainless guys responded because they already had their's this year.

I'll be paying close attention to your thread so that when I build mine I won't have to re-invent the wheel.

Paul

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bullwinkl,
Check your email. I don't make it here often enough and only remembered the fishing pole conversation. I checked the message file here and with chagrin admit I missed responding to the questions on the Ruger. My phone number is in your inbox. I am proud of my barrels but not so stuck up I won't answer inquiries.
Sorry for the lag.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.