Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

One of my fav's

Vortex HS-T 4-16x44---or the PST series 6-24x50

Usually set the power on either one @ 12-14x...all the power ya need

Mirage will always be an issue...sun hitting the cool ground at 6-7K' increases the chances

Some may laugh but I use an ice water soaked Cham Wow across the barrel/under scope

Help keeps barrel cooler....when the Cham Wow starts steaming...time to grab another rifle

223AI & PST on the table shootin' dogs

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's a serious PD rig!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
OSU_Sig Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
That's a serious PD rig!

He's a serious PD shooter.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
That's a serious PD rig!

yep...223 AI......9 twist Pac Nor...28" long x 1.117" straight pipe

Salvage target action...Vortex PST 6-24x50....18# as shown

Targets here start at 480 yds..out to 650.....53 V max..killin' machine

Here's a similar set up...only its a 20-222 9 twist... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I just got back from a prairie dog hunt also about four hours ago. I carried four rifles, a 22-250 with an 8-32 sightron, two 20 practicals with 6-24's (one sightron and one nikon) and a 223 AR-15 with a 6-20 weaver. Most of my shots were made at at least 20X, I like a lot of magnification and wouldn't know what to do in a PD town with only 10X. Mirage wasn't a problem and if it is then you just turn down the magnification, I'd rather have too much mag available to me than too little. I continue to be impressed by sightron SIII's, the glass is great and they track perfectly.

IC B2

B
BAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
The Zeiss Conquest in 6.5-20 or the new V4 line would be great choice if you could find one. The NF NXS is a great option if you want to spent that much. I have shot pile of 17 FB and Mach 4, great PD caliber if the wind isn't to bad. Good Luck

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Quick ballistics for 25gr at 3800fps with 100yard zero and 1.5" scope height.
Range Drop
0 -1.49
50 -0.39
100 0.00
150 -0.38
200 -1.67
250 -4.02
300 -7.57
350 -12.53

A maximum magnification of 20X, thin duplex 2nd focal plane reticle would be a good choice. Use hold-over, "aim half a dog high" and probably sight-in at 200yard for best poa/poi.
I've shot a few Pdogs with Leupold 6.5-20 and 4.5-14, and other scopes with 20-24X magnification, and definitely preferred shooting in the 12-16X range.
Back in the day, I was provided with Leica Geovid 7X42 class 1 rangefinder for testing in Wyoming Pdog towns. At the time, the only rangefinders were golf type and they didn't work well in the terrain.
Suggest adding a simple Kestrel to deal with wind, a decent RF.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 with MOAR reticle. That way you can see their eyelashes when you pull the trigger.

Good idea. I have the SHV 4-14x56 with the MOAR reticle on a 204 Ruger but might move it to the fireball for a try out.

Perhaps not that good of an idea.........a 56mm objective gains you nothing but added weight for hunting prairie dogs. a friend and I shot about 200 yesterday, every one when the sun was shining brightly with lowly 40mm scopes

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Salvage target action...

I have salvaged an action or two in my time but never a target one, very good grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Scope for 17 FB?--well obviously the 2.5-8X Nikon LER scope...for an XP-100 pistol (Ha--greatest varmint cartridge ever IMO out of an XP)...and of course that optic itself is no longer being made anymore.

Last edited by sscoyote; 06/06/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 with MOAR reticle. That way you can see their eyelashes when you pull the trigger.

Good idea. I have the SHV 4-14x56 with the MOAR reticle on a 204 Ruger but might move it to the fireball for a try out.

Perhaps not that good of an idea.........a 56mm objective gains you nothing but added weight for hunting prairie dogs. a friend and I shot about 200 yesterday, every one when the sun was shining brightly with lowly 40mm scopes

Yeah, it's a good idea. Not so concerned about weight at a bench. If it had a 52mm OB I would like it better but I use what is has.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
OSU Sig: On my heavy barrel Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball I have and have been VERY happy/satisfied with a Leupold 6x18 variable with Du-Plex reticle.
On my custom heavy barrel Remington 700 in 17 MachIV (the predecessor, ballistic and virtual twin of the 17 Remington Fireball) I have and have been VERY happy/satisfied with a Leupold 6x18 variable with Du-Plex reticle.
I have been using and Hunting with these scopes for a combined total of 40 (forty!) years - 26 years so far with the 17 MachIV and 14 years so far with the 17 Remington Fireball.
I heartily recommend the Leupold 6x18 variable with Du-Plex reticle for your Prairie Dog uses.
This recommendation by the way is based on actual in the field and at the range use!
As always - beware of small twig and other Leupold naysayers, malarkey.

Long live Leupold and Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN company!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have fixed 12x Leupolds on 2 of my PD rifles. It is difficult to use more power than that due to mirage in my experience.

Exactly what I would run, used many 12x and never wanted for more in field on small critters......just me. Never let me down. A 10x sometimes left me wanting.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of good ideas here, thanks to all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The MAGNIFICENT Stupidity of Dumb Fhuqkers trying to "talk" rifles and scopes on this Thread alone,is simply fhuqking sensational. That ain't a compliment. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hmmmmm...where to start?!? The 12x Reupold is both frail and fickle. Unfortunately,I prolly still have a few kicking around somewhere. Hint.

I rather enjoyed that Reupold 4.5-14's and 6.5-20's are "good",especially when coupled with a "hold over crosshair"! Now THAT is some fhuqking funny schit! SFP and Magic "hold over crosshairs". Hint.

Then it gets "Technical": "Anything with 2nd focal plane and a BDC type reticle. Windage hash marks are a plus. I say 2nd focal plane so that you can adjust power to match your drop on your bullet.". Pardon a FFP keeping a lineal angular scale the same size of ruler,no matter where the zoom ring is parked. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

The 6-18x Reupold is a heavily compromised piece of schit,that can never begin to hold zero. Don't even fhuqking try to adjust or hope for a repeat. Hint.

Rather enjoyed the 3.5-10x Reupold nudge,especially with a B&C "reticle". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

From outta the dumpster,there's the 7.5x and 8x Reupold of yore,with their hilarious AO and internals. Hint.

Then the "SERIOUS" rigs,with Hortex PST's! Replete with schit mounting systems and choates. fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

Put your seatbelts on,as some DUMB Fhuqk laudes this schit,with SFP and CDS! Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Not to be Out-Dumbfhuqked,this Fhuqktard goes for the throat! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A "40yr old 6-18x Reupold" would be worth some money. Imagination and Pretend are fhuqking HILARIOUS,especially when housed in a Retard. Hint.

Bless your hearts,for doing your best.

You gals REALLY "know" your "stuff".

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The MAGNIFICENT Stupidity of Dumb Fhuqkers trying to "talk" rifles and scopes on this Thread alone,is simply fhuqking sensational. That ain't a compliment. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hmmmmm...where to start?!?

Then it gets "Technical": "Anything with 2nd focal plane and a BDC type reticle. Windage hash marks are a plus. I say 2nd focal plane so that you can adjust power to match your drop on your bullet.". Pardon a FFP keeping a lineal angular scale the same size of ruler,no matter where the zoom ring is parked. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

I've shot dog towns with both FFP/turrets and SFP/BDC. SFP/BDC is faster than turning turrets when you know yardage and DOPE. No lookups converting yardage to MOA or Mil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hmmmmm...where to start?!?

I've shot dog towns with both FFP/turrets and SFP/BDC. SFP/BDC is faster than turning turrets when you know yardage and DOPE. No lookups converting yardage to MOA or Mil.

You still have to interpolate your hold when it’s between dots.

The first one to miss hasn’t really won the race.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I put a 3-12 LRTS on my gopher gun this spring.

Originally Posted by Higginez
A fixed SWFA SS 10x MQ is beyond good in a varmint colony. The reticle is just incredible and after a little time spent behind it, your brain can make accurate holdovers by just viewing the varmint against the hash marks.

Either of these work for me.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've shot hell out of prairie dog towns with an iron sighted 22 long rifle and still had a good time.

AND, I can still outshoot stinky on his best day!

Last edited by Remington6MM; 06/08/21.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.