Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good stuff for sure. Seems Quannah Parker’s pard took a big 50 slug. Those old guns were and still are pretty fearsome, especially in the hands of a master marksman.

DF

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet DF would thoroughly blow to have an old Sharps Buffalo hunter cut down on a man back in those days, i remember of another story from Saint Bagwell of an outlaw getting shot with a Sharps, the Sharps shooter walked up on the dying man, he asked, "what rifle is it that sounds like a hummingbird?"

That dying man heard that blue whistler coming right before it went through him ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Injun Billy Dixon shot wasn't really even wounded. Dixon did hit him though. I think the bullet pretty much bounced off. The fight was pretty much over anyway as the Comanch and their allies had given up assaulting the 'walls. They quit the country after the shot though. Injun's pards hauled him off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have been in the pits during many target rifle matches, and if a bullet coming over your head sounds anything like a bumble bee or humming bird , if it hits the target is likely to leave either an egg shaped hole, a full side profile. Most of the time it'll be a miss.
In midrange you'll hear the shot about the same time as the bullet gets there. In long range/Creedmoor you'll hear the swish of the bullet and see the bullet impact before you hear the shot, If you hear the shot.

That said shooting steel at 1000 yards about the most you'll find from a bullet that hits the target is the base of the bullet about the size of a dime. So even at that range a hit to flesh is definitely not going to bounce off. A 44 or 45 caliber heavy bullet will cut the 2x4 of the target frame in two especially if it hits a knot.

Last edited by Ranch13; 06/07/21.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A beautiful Original Sharps! Pretty Cool! Thanks for Sharing!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The Injun Billy Dixon shot wasn't really even wounded. Dixon did hit him though. I think the bullet pretty much bounced off. The fight was pretty much over anyway as the Comanch and their allies had given up assaulting the 'walls. They quit the country after the shot though. Injun's pards hauled him off.

I wouldn't want to be whacked by one of those big bullets, even after flying thru the air for a mile or so.

I think it would make a dent. Wouldn't want to be the test victim.

I was with some guys year ago, shooting military '06 ammo at a gravel pit. After a while, a car drove up, a guy got out holding a .30 cal. FMJ bullet. He said it hit someone in their party. Our group had no idea they were there, couldn't see them. The bullet didn't break the skin. Pretty scary stuff. The bullet didn't look deformed at all, maybe a ricochet? Who knows. Bullets can do some crazy stuff.

I was shooting tracer .308 ammo off a bridge into a major canal at my farm. It was dark enough to see the tracers. It's amazing what those bullets can do. I saw a tracer hit the water, fly up in an arc out of the canal, land in a pasture where I had cattle. It was scary enough that I didn't shoot any more into the water. It was fun, however, shooting them straight up in the air. Pretty cool.

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have participated in (2 ) 1 mile shoots with the Sharps that's 1760 yds surveyed. The guy who owns the range showed us some bullets that hit the steel target their noses were expanded at a angle to the body because of the angle they were coming down at. Yeah they were still moving at a velocity fast enuff to penetrate flesh easy enough. Don't anyone bullsh*t you on the lethality of big lead bullets. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Don't anyone bullsh*t you on the lethality of big lead bullets. Mb

I’m a believer.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I wouldn't want to be whacked by one of those big bullets, even after flying thru the air for a mile or so.

I think it would make a dent. Wouldn't want to be the test victim.

I was with some guys year ago, shooting military '06 ammo at a gravel pit. After a while, a car drove up, a guy got out holding a .30 cal. FMJ bullet. He said it hit someone in their party. Our group had no idea they were there, couldn't see them. The bullet didn't break the skin. Pretty scary stuff. The bullet didn't look deformed at all, maybe a ricochet? Who knows. Bullets can do some crazy stuff.

I was shooting tracer .308 ammo off a bridge into a major canal at my farm. It was dark enough to see the tracers. It's amazing what those bullets can do. I saw a tracer hit the water, fly up in an arc out of the canal, land in a pasture where I had cattle. It was scary enough that I didn't shoot any more into the water. It was fun, however, shooting them straight up in the air. Pretty cool.

DF
I'm sure it could have killed him, had it hit him in the head or maybe the heart, even if it hadn't broken the skin. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a broken bone or two.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well it reportedly made a believer out of him and ultimately the whole band.

DF

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
gunner500,
I truly enjoyed your Pics, and information, on your loads and shooting! Been looking for one like yours for a long time! Especially in that Caliber! I'd be re missed if I didn't say! I'm sure that you've heard it before, and I know that you'll hear it again, but if you ever decide to move it, please put me on the Long list! I've been known to not only step up, but also get creative with trades and the Likes! Thanks for Sharing!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Truly enjoying this post and all the enjoyable stories, relating to the history of the Sharps rifle, along with Adobe Walls, and the likes, with the larger caliber led being slung down field. It kinda reminds me of Lonesome Dove when Gus, (Robert Duval), says "that's enough", adjusted his sights on that old Henry Rifle and hit one of those Bush Wackers, taking pot shots at him, right square in the mid section! Classic!!! Those were hard days, way back when! Great post!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks HS58, i was more than proud to be a part of knowing, shooting and hunting with Bill, and now that i cant seem to establish contact with Kurt71 for a reamer to cut a 5/7 degree leade in a 40-90 Sharps [40 2-5/8ths] Bottleneck chamber, i'm about ready to send that rifle off to JES and have hm run a 50-90 Sharps drill bit from stem to stern on that temperamental b-tch! ; ]

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Bullshit! No bullet from that Sharps would bounce off someone, even at that range.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Bullshit! No bullet from that Sharps would bounce off someone, even at that range.

Gotta Agree with you on that, HitnRun!

Not too much bounce in that Big lead, from My Experience!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Gotta Agree with you on that, HitnRun!

Not too much bounce in that Big lead, from My Experience!
I wasn't there, regardless of stories. I'm only relating what I've read old timers said about the incident. The injun didn't die from the hit. Sharps rifles aren't a high velocity proposition. I'm sure the Taylor Knock Out values are off the hook though.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You do bring up a good point!

We weren't there, and I have also read those accounts from the old timers said, who were there.

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 08/21/21.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Incredibly nice rifle.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Long range shooting with Buffalo guns was done at Sandy Hook about 150 years ago, at ranges far longer than the Adobe Walls incident.

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/firearms/long-range/sandy-hook-1879

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Have been in the pits during many target rifle matches, and if a bullet coming over your head sounds anything like a bumble bee or humming bird , if it hits the target is likely to leave either an egg shaped hole, a full side profile. Most of the time it'll be a miss.
In midrange you'll hear the shot about the same time as the bullet gets there. In long range/Creedmoor you'll hear the swish of the bullet and see the bullet impact before you hear the shot, If you hear the shot.

That said shooting steel at 1000 yards about the most you'll find from a bullet that hits the target is the base of the bullet about the size of a dime. So even at that range a hit to flesh is definitely not going to bounce off. A 44 or 45 caliber heavy bullet will cut the 2x4 of the target frame in two especially if it hits a knot.

Dang, i missed this post Ranch, maybe i got the sound of the bullet wording wrong, now i trusted Bagwell and he trusted me, i asked to go squat down behind/beside his 300 meter berm, iirc he said it was 327 yards, i got his flip phone set on speaker so we could talk, before i left he said, "Look Here"......."I want you to see i have my 400 yard sight setting on"

Got down to the berm and was watching as he fired at the 400 meter turkey right beside and slightly over me, i saw the puff of smoke, then heard the whizzzzzzz/buzzzzzzz of the bullet passing by, then heard the bullet strike, then the boom of the rifle, it was the coolest chit i've done in awhile, he was laughing into the speaker, i had him do it again, great fun to get to see these rifles work, he was firing my 45-70 paper patch load, 1.335" bullet length from an 18 twist rifle, plenty stable, load clocks 1244 fps, 16 to 1 alloy, what a smack on the steel.

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
352 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 37 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.