Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have been driving a diesel truck for over 20 years and have never used fuel additives, and have never seemed to need such. . Now, in a different diesel (Duramax) we have a situation where slight excess of fuel at idle is giving grey smoke and a rich odor. Strongest diagnosis from owners and diesel mechanics points to particulate buildup at injector seals and strongest recommendation is a good cleaning agent run in fuel. Maybe even an oil filter full at oil change time.

Some prominent opinions rank Lucas Fuel Treatment, Stanadyne Performance Formula One Shot and Archoil Fuel Treatment as top solutions.

Relative cost aside, do you have experience with such treatments and strong views on which would be best in this situation? Thanks for knowledgeable insights.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Check balance rates and save money for a set of injectors.

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Paul,

Not a diesel owner but a Porsche and Audi owner and both dealerships push BG products as do a few non-factory "German" shops that I have used.

https://www.bgprod.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What year Duramax and is it deleted?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Canadian version almost all the time because of low sulfer diesel.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Ed - look like very good products - one in particular seems applicable.

K1500 - 2003 Duramax, 108k miles,, no delete, balance/fuel rates (injector fire pulse width) apparently decent and fuel mileage has not dropped.

Thx for responses.

Last edited by CCCC; 06/08/21.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Try opti-lube good stuff.I run it year around.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Check out Seafoam.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Stanadyne is the only product I have used successfully in industrial diesels subjected to days of cold weather idling. Stanadyne also is a large mfr of pumps and injectors. If an additive can help, which I kinda doubt, it's where I would go. I know zero about Duramax injectors. In older injection systems, after days of idling you would get carbon buildup at the tips, destroying the spray pattern so the fuel would dribble from the tip instead of atomize causing incomplete combustion. 50 years in heavy equipment repair.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go with the Stanadyne additive. It does work.

Disclaimer: I did work for the 'dyne for almost 18 years in R&D, mainly building pumps.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 35
Check out Seafoam.

frown frown laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A 2003 duramax is a lb7 and they don't have any emissions stuff from the factory. Bad thing is they eat injectors and it's not a cheap replacement. You may get some extra life out of what you have but do plan and budget for injectors in your future. Don't buy a stock replacement when and/or if you do. Look into injectors from somebody like Lincoln Diesel. The lb7 is a great engine other than the injector issues.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've used this product in a tractor that was running a bit rough and to my surprise it smoothed the engine out , so maybe worth a try in some cases.........

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diesel-extreme/

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If it was a Ford this stuff would fix your problem.
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/

Life is good live it while you can.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Marvels Mystery Oil will clean them up.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have used Stanadyne in my 6.0 since day one. I have also used Hotshot Secrets with oil change.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use Power Service in my Cummins. Cummins approved/endorsed. White bottle in winter, silver in summer.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little digging on lb7's will shiw you that everything under the sun has been tried to save stick injectors.

Id start pushing bucks into a pile, saving for some of the newer units.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I've used this product in a tractor that was running a bit rough and to my surprise it smoothed the engine out , so maybe worth a try in some cases.........

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diesel-extreme/

This is good stuff, and what I use. Today's ULSD diesel fuels suck compared to the diesel fuels in the past. They are low on lubricity, cetane, etc and this additive helps.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
- - - In older injection systems, after days of idling you would get carbon buildup at the tips, destroying the spray pattern so the fuel would dribble from the tip instead of atomize causing incomplete combustion, - -

Given decent to very good engine performance otherwise, I am thinking/hoping the idle smoke issue is this.

Originally Posted by Showdog75
- - - You may get some extra life out of what you have but do plan and budget for injectors in your future. Don't buy a stock replacement when and/or if you do. Look into injectors from somebody like Lincoln Diesel. The lb7 is a great engine other than the injector issues.- - -

Understood - well aware of Duramax injector wear in those years. This truck rarely is used in town or short haul - mostly long runs at higher speeds. So, hope to diminish the idle smoke issue and nurse these injectors for extended time. If at the point where testing/performance call for replacement, probably will take my time and do it here. Thanks for the suggestion on Lincoln.

And, to all, thanks for the thoughts on the additives - keep that coming. I need to try something soon. I have used Seafoam quite a bit for gasoline applications and a day or two ago a friend reminded me that the product contains alcohol. Seems likely not the best for diesel engines.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.