Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by battue
Multiple ballistic "x'sperts" have came to the same conclusions, Yet you have answers they missed???? And the major shotshell manufacturers are bullshiiiting all the average Joe's and you are the only smart one out there. Got it...

Ever wonder why needles for medication injection are small? In case you haven't it has to do with penetration. Ever wonder why they are hard and dense-dense again-and not soft and spoonge? Penetration again perhaps????

They we get into increased energy transfer due to more multiple hits... because of the greater number of number 9 TSS vs your lead 4's or 5's. The X'sperts call that pattern density and they say pattern density is a big deal..But hey, they are only "X'sperts."

Less shot deformity with the more dense--there is that word again-and hard TSS vs lead..Less deformity in flight and less deformity on impact means they pattern and penetrate better..Think about that needle example again. Perhaps you wouldn't mind getting your shot with a bent needle?

Also what is another big advantage of TSS shot.?...One that you haven't addressed, but the "X'perts" have. You have the answers, so I'll let you dwell on it for spell before you clue us in on their mistake.

I'm just an average Joe, but I think those ballistics "X'sperts" are onto something. Along with the average Joe's who are seeing the results of their X'pertese on game using TSS...As they say..."Funny how that works."

Addition: To quote you "All they want to talk about is Density, density, density." Well steel is less dense than lead, and what did they have to do with steel shot to make up for it? TSS is more dense than lead, so what would lead have to do to make up for it? Physics perhaps????

To make it easy...As density increases, shot size can decrease with close to the same penetration result. As shot size per ounce decreases, shot number per ounce increases, and you will hit the object with more shot. More shot means greater pattern density. More pattern density means greater lethality. And you can do it with a smaller gauge...Again, as they say..."Hint"

You're just too kOol....I bet you're what I refer to as one of them 10" circle jerkers.

I feel like I just got jerked....

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you desire to talk shotgun ballistics, you would be further ahead to more closely study the published experts on the subject....rather than letting your sexual fantasies cloud your thoughts.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I
If you desire to talk shotgun ballistics, you would be further ahead to more closely study the published experts on the subject....rather than letting your sexual fantasies cloud your thoughts.

If you're "published" do you automatically become an X'spurt ?

Years ago I was talking with the late Art Carter of Sporting Classics Magazine....when I mentioned meeting one of his published X'spurts and mentioned the fact that he couldn't really play any type turkey call....his response to me was "You have to understand he's a good writer"....my reply was "is that all it takes"...which left Art pretty much speechless..

From that moment on I looked past the "published" bull chit and stopped living in their fantasy land.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Published in and of itself no...

Multiple experts agreeing with them changes the answer Then in this case, you can think about the repeatedly proven properties of matter....I think physics has something to do with that.

Or you can go thru life being a contrarian, always thinking others who are respected in their field spew bullsshiit. When they don’t agree with you. 😉

Which was based on one other “published” writer who you felt couldn’t use a Turkey call. And playing a Turkey call is one of the simplest instruments to become good at.

Last edited by battue; 06/08/21.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LFC why don't you just do some research. There is plenty of published data and tests that confirm the superior performance of TSS over lead and other non-toxic shot.

If you don't want to read about TSS testing then get on YouTube and watch actual tests.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I guess that makes you an X'spurt....

I love to talk balistics.....reminds me of a story.

Teacher asked the class could anyone use the word "balistic" in a sentence. Little Johnny stood up and was waving his hand.

Ok little Johnny use the word "balistic" in a sentence....."Ba....lis....tic....that's what happens when you talk about a 10 inch circle jerkers magic fairy dust size shot....they go ba...aaa..lis... tic"

That's right little Johnny men dont like you to make fun of thier little balls.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m fairly confident that while nobody here us claiming to be an ‘expert’, you’re making everyone else LOOK LIKE ballistic geniuses, all by yourself.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 06/08/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I’m fairly confident that while nobody here us claiming to be an ‘expert’, you’re making everyone else LOOK LIKE ballistic geniuses, all by yourself.

He even knows....and willing to bet on it....that I’m a pattern freak. Obsessing over the shot in a 10 inch circle.

Have to admit I patterned a shotgun the other day. Three shots on pieces of clay targets on the ground at 20 yards pretty much told me all I needed to know. You just never know what you don’t know. Now if there was a pattern board around I would have used it, but he would have still lost his bet.

However, it’s all good, they have been killing Turkeys with lead for a couple centuries and getting by. They even got by with flintlocks. TTS is just the next big thing. An improvement, but not necessary

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shot shells are just a fad and a smoke and mirrors game by gun companies to make us by the new fangled shells

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

He even knows....and willing to bet on it....that I’m a pattern freak. Obsessing over the shot in a 10 inch circle.

Have to admit I patterned a shotgun the other day. Three shots on pieces of clay targets on the ground at 20 yards pretty much told me all I needed to know. You just never know what you don’t know. Now if there was a pattern board around I would have used it, but he would have still lost his bet.

I would have never guessed....what was the bet ?

Do you think there is a connection between the moon phases and the 10 inch circle obsession.

Or could it be the repetitive counting of the Tss micro holes....

I admit it I'm a reformed 10" circle jerker...I faced my fears.

I just woke up one day and thought why cant a person just look at a target and just tell man that will kill the hell out of a turkey.

Who ever thought this goofy 10 inch circle counting up....my bet is some pencil pushing writer that only kilt a hand full of turkeys.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think alot of this depends on what your goal is. Do you want to kill a turkey or experince turkey hunting? If I just wanted to kill a turkey I could take a 223 and shoot them at 200 yds in a field. the fun part to me is interacting with the turkey and calling it in to 30yds or so. My 2 3/4" #6 Winchester magnums work just fine for that. I'm not shooting a Tom at 50 yds, though it seems TSS will work at that range. Takes the fun out of it, and if I can't get him closer I call it a win for him. I'm not going to starve either way.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Use what you want and what works for you. Ignorantly arguing that TSS isn’t far more efficient than lead shot, is stupid. I’ve killed turkeys with lead in 12/16/20ga stuff for decades. TSS just works better all around for turkeys, as (unlike lead) there’s no choice one has to make for gauge vs pattern density vs lethality. Doesn’t even matter if you have a super turkey choke. A 6yr old can kill a turkey past 35 yards with a 410, easily. The only argument against it is $ or nostalgia, and either is a personal prerogative….not a detraction from it being a better mousetrap for turkey use at the very least. I’m not out to shoot turkeys at extreme ranges, but pattern density in thick stuff or at any range, helps eliminate the gaps that large lead pellets can leave in patterns….which are far less predictable/consistent due to its unpredictable softness, vs harder shot. Most waterfowlers have come to this understanding with harder shot, over the years.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 06/09/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
People in Texas can shoot them over bait....and with rifles to boot.

So what is your point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 10" circle is no different than shooting groups with a rifle. Shooting on paper at the range let's you know if point of aim and point of impact are the same. Like sighting in a rifle. And it's a consistent means to measure and compare the pattern. It is also a reliable way to know your choke and loads effective range. Of course you already knew this.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Have to admit I patterned a shotgun the other day. Three shots on pieces of clay targets on the ground at 20 yards pretty much told me all I needed to know. You just never know what you don’t know.

Here's you a few holes to count....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Can I not just not look at these targets and know they will kill a turkey.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.