Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tell me of your experience with this powder in handgun ammo. I have a couple of cans (unopened) that I’m thinking of trying for low recoil plinking loads in 44 mag and 357 mag. Is it clean shooting? Accurate? Or should I forget it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’ll be using with cast bullets exclusively

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Read the IMR load formula for any cartridge

Simply fill case to the bullet base....do not compress

You'll never double charge a Trail Boss load---good stuff

I use it in 357---44 & 45 Colt Marlins

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Tikkanut,
I’ve looked at their site, along with Hodgden’s Annual manual and notice both show using magnum primers in 357 magnum loads, but only standard primers if loading in 38 Special brass with the same powder charge. I assume because of more space in the 357 casing. I don’t have any small pistol magnum primers, so wondering if standard primers will work okay. I also don’t have any 38 Special brass.

Doug
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I use standard primers in all I listed.....

4 grains in the 357....6 grains in the 44 & 45

That's all you'll get in the case w/o compressing....

So...don't compress

You'll notice too...only 9 oz net powder per bottle.....purty bulky/fluffy

Actually branded 'Hodgdon' not 'IMR'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What tikka posted and I've used in .40S&W and .223 rem. bolt gun.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys,
I appreciate the information. I’m gonna give it a try, first in 357, then 44 magnum. One last question.........is it pretty clean burning?

Doug
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never understood the fascination with TB. It is a mediocre propellent at best.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am in no way fascinated or enamored with TB but there is a place for it and mediocrity.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla
I've never understood the fascination with TB. It is a mediocre propellent at best.

There are a few of us that enjoy owning and shooting magnum handguns. Maybe even fewer of us who don’t enjoy full bore loads all the time, and get pleasure from shooting reduced loads from those same magnum handguns. And I think pleasure is what shooting is all about, at least most of the time.

Doug
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Have to agree.........

kids & the wives don't wanna shoot full nuts magnum loads

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that the fact it's mediocre makes it more popular for reduced loads. It makes big recoil handguns fun to shoot again. Not every load in my 44 Rem Mag needs to be full power loads to have fun. I don't see Trailboss as a hunting powder.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use it alot, and there is nothing mediocre about it. Just people that dont know what they are using.
Lots of dumbphucks out here using oatmeal, and dacron fillers to AI a rifle, and you are staring at the one powder that can do it all.
It is accurate as hell in all pistol cal down to, not including 9mm.
Use it in all rifle calibers I dont feel like getting beat up on. There is no need to go full power at all times.
Wives, and daughters like to shoot too. this powder lets them shoot without getting hammered.

Do what you will..........

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I use it in 45colt, 44mag, 44spl, 357mg, 38spl, and reduced power rifle loads in 30-06, and 308win.

The rifle loads have a significant change in POI from standard or full power loads.

I meters fairly well, and is easy to work with. Its not super clean, but I don't have a problem with that.

Good stuff. Im a happy customer.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by lastround
Originally Posted by dla

There are a few of us that enjoy owning and shooting magnum handguns. Maybe even fewer of us who don’t enjoy full bore loads all the time, and get pleasure from shooting reduced loads from those same magnum handguns. And I think pleasure is what shooting is all about, at least most of the time.

I understand that.
But, if you knew how to use fast pistol powders you'd be making plinker loads with powders that are at least dual use. Trust me, the shooting community has been making plinkers long before Trail Boss was invented.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Last edited by dla; 06/10/21. Reason: Added link to the granddaddy of low velocity data
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I thought/read Trail Boss was invented to keep people from double charging their handgun cartridges. Mainly for cowboy action.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

I understand that.
But, if you knew how to use fast pistol powders you'd be making plinker loads with powders that are at least dual use. Trust me, the shooting community has been making plinkers long before Trail Boss was invented.

Trust me, Dla,
I have and know how to reload with fast Pistol powders and have been doing so for years making reduced loads using powders like 231, Unique, Universal and others. My reason for interest in Trail Boss is that I happen to have a couple of cans and thought since there seems to be a slight shortage of components, that I would give it a try. No fascination, just interest in how other folks are using a powder that I happen to have on hand.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

I understand that.

Why do you assume that those of us that use TB don’t know how to use alternatives? I’ve used it in everything from .38 Special to .45/70 with generally fine results. No hangfires, no fillers, no tilting the gun to settle the powder against the primer. The safety factor is only another raisin in the cookie.

Popped off some .308s loaded with it yesterday. Pretty much the same results I used to get with the late, lamented, 4759. Have some 5744 to try as well. It has a very wide range of uses, when you can find it.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
One of the biggest reasons I like Trail Boss is because as a long-time rifle cartridge hand loader, I like seeing a mostly-full case of powder before I seat a bullet. Just a mental thing I know, but those fluffy little TB doughnuts really fill a case and it make it easier to double-check everything before seating a bullet. Then, all the virtues others mentioned kick-in. Trail Boss under a 158gr LRNFP in my .357 Mag. is crazy accurate and fun to shoot! It will punch little groups farther out than I can see my bullet holes, it is my rabbit handgun of choice, and I would not hesitate to chase our little desert javelina with it as well.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Great powder for light loads sixguns and rifle. Shot several thousand 44s healing from lumbar surgery. Shoot it a lot in my 500s all the time. Came up with an excellent load in my 308 scout. 107 grain sintered bullet, ten grains of TB. Hits exactly on the crosshairs out to a hundred yards. Outstanding practice load and useful for small game as it’s running 1550. The Hornady and Speer half jackets are as accurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.