Campfire Kahuna
J
.....balance rates.....

I am MAGA.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I've used this product in a tractor that was running a bit rough and to my surprise it smoothed the engine out , so maybe worth a try in some cases.........

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diesel-extreme/

this

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
5 gallons of Jet A smartened up my 7.3.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
.....balance rates.....

Got this - earlier post - Thx.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Does anyone know if Seafoam eats up fuel hose lines?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by CCCC
I have been driving a diesel truck for over 20 years and have never used fuel additives, and have never seemed to need such. . Now, in a different diesel (Duramax) we have a situation where slight excess of fuel at idle is giving grey smoke and a rich odor. Strongest diagnosis from owners and diesel mechanics points to particulate buildup at injector seals and strongest recommendation is a good cleaning agent run in fuel. Maybe even an oil filter full at oil change time.

Some prominent opinions rank Lucas Fuel Treatment, Stanadyne Performance Formula One Shot and Archoil Fuel Treatment as top solutions.

Relative cost aside, do you have experience with such treatments and strong views on which would be best in this situation? Thanks for knowledgeable insights.

My brother is a good mechanic and has suggested that I run Stanadyne in each tank of diesel I run. The problem he is trying to avoid is the dry diesel fuel that is being created now. Engines are better protected with the lubricity added from the diesel fuel additives. I have been using Stanadyne for about 6 years now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cetane is what Ford recomends in Canada for their engins , don't know about duramax,
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Does anyone know if Seafoam eats up fuel hose lines?
My experience is "no". Whatever degree of "alcohol" is in Seafoam is not ethanol and that product has been helpful to me, mostly in small engines, and zero damage..

Now - eth caused havoc for me with our old trucks when I was out of commission during a winter and was not able to run them periodically. Eth gathers moisture - caused lots of metal tank/line corrosion, ate fuel pump diaphragms and fuel hoses, and some carb components. Just now finally getting all of that straightened out.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you ain't living up where the eagles sour now that you are down south.
i don't know if that has an effect or not.
every once in a while i put a can of sea foam in the tank.
it's worked wonders in motorcycles for me

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
My old diesel mechanic used to only recommend Marvel Mystery Oil, or the Lucas product.
I'd double-check with him, but he died in a car wreck ~ 10 days ago.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GM makes a product. I used it once. Still had to swap injectors shortly thereafter.

I have a Cali 2003 LB7, and yes it came with EGR, catalytic, vacuum pump, etc. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Smoke at idle is classic sign of impending injector failure. Get your balance rates checked, as mentioned, and get ready. frown

Lincoln Diesel treated me right. My injector bodies were fine, so they refitted them with the updated nozzles. That was I wanna say 5 years ago …. I was concerned at the time, but it turns out to be the right call for me. I monitor balance rates myself, and so far, I’m good.

If you’re handy, injectors can be done DIY. It's a big job, but not particularly technical. Just a lot of labor that I'd rather do myself than pay for at shop rates.

Ran me about $1600 in parts from Lincoln. Probably another couple hundred bucks in incidentals and miscellaneous, and the job took me a long weekend plus (I believe shop time is estimated at 30 hours if memory serves), with me taking my sweet time and taking lots of pics before I disassembled.

The EGR and smog stuff REALLY adds a chore to the job if you have that.

No matter who does it, make SURE they replace the hard fuel lines.

Finally, I am a believer in secondary filtration and water separation. I run an Airdog and a Nicktane before the OEM filter, and have for many years. Cheap insurance.

Good luck, and check out dieselplace.com for a very detailed DIY with pictures. That's what I used.

If/when mine go again, nobody but me is going into my motor.

Rick

Last edited by RickBin; 06/08/21.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Two types of additive. Demulsifier and an emulsifier.One separates the water and your water filter takes it out. The other emulsifies the water and it goes thru your injectors. This is what a diesel mechanic told me so I may be really out in the sticks here. Chevy recommends the demusilfier and I use the StanadyneTop Performance in my 2019 Duramax .No trouble yet at 15K.

When I had my 98 Cummins, Power Service which is an emulsifier, I believe, was recommended.I never had any injector problems,but went thru 3 injector pumps

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mark shubert
My old diesel mechanic used to only recommend Marvel Mystery Oil, or the Lucas product.
I'd double-check with him, but he died in a car wreck ~ 10 days ago.

A friend had a truck repair shop and told me about using Marvels Mystery Oil. I passed it on to others that used and with good results.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just pour three ounces of two stroke oil in the tank, every other fill up! Been doing it since 2008, when I got an 06 Duramax! No issues todate. Only have 134000 miles on mine!

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
My old diesel mechanic used to only recommend Marvel Mystery Oil, or the Lucas product. I'd double-check with him, but he died in a car wreck ~ 10 days ago.
Mark, denoting old age here, for I have been using Marvel Mystery Oil in various specific applications for 66 years. Dad swore by it and got me going - it has been a big plus. especially for top-end lube on older OHV engines. I simply never connected that idea with diesel injectors - maybe because the Dodge Cummins is almost to 350K with nary an injector hiccup. We have only put about 6K miles on this 03 Duramax - it is at 108K well-maintained miles and I'm already fussing with injectors. Good and rather flexible diesel engine, but not near a Cummins 24V.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had best luck with 2' stroke oil myself. I bought a whole shopping cart full at Circle k one time for $1/qt. That sold me on it. Standyne is probably better but far more expensive. I think i would try MMO first

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What year is the Cummins that has 350K on the clock, if you don’t mind my asking?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I wasn't such a cheap bastard, I'd use Opti-lube or Stanadyne.

But I use Walmart 2-stroke oil instead. In a Cummins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When tney reduced the sulphur content of the diesel, they reduced the lubricity. There used to be a lubricity table where someone compared several different products to add lubricity back into diesel fuel. Some of the additives included used motor oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, transmission fluid, two cycle oil and several other things. As I recall two cycle oil was the best for restoring lubricity. Used motor oil was one of the worst.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How about using ATF?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.