Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
College buddy and I did a week on the NCT in the UP first week of May this year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Temps dropped into mid- to high-30s during the nights. Tent camping in my BA Fly Creek UL2 and was thinking I had a 30 degree bag but it was a synthetic BA 15 degree. I run a thermarest trail lite as a pad.

I was REALLY hot (I run hot as a rule) at night and the bag, as you can see from the big marshmallow hanging off my pack, it was huge and bulky. I’m thinking of picking up a 20- or 30-degree quilt and an upgraded pad doe my Montana spot & stalk spring bear hunt next year. Thinking I could afford to go with a warmer rating (20 degree) since I can vent a quilt easier than a bag?

I’m hoping to keep the pad around $150 (looking hard at a Sea To Summit comfort light) and the quilt around $250.

Had considered a Outdoor Vitals down model but don’t know the first thing about em. Another company I’d be interested to hear from anyone with experience is UGQ Outdoor here in Michigan. Is Further Faster Designs still in business? They’d made a 30 degree in the past and I’m running their 50 degree this spring…

Thoughts? Tips? Guidance?

Thanks all,

Eric

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would recommend getting a pad that is as well-insulated as you're willing to carry (higher R value tends to weigh a bit more), and a quilt that is as warm as you think you'll ever need. You are right that it's much easier to vent with a quilt, so a warmer quilt is more versatile. I have an EE quilt as well as a UGQ quilt. I think you get a better bang for buck with UGQ, and both are very high quality. Make sure you get a quilt that's a little wider than you think you need, and a little longer, as well (especially if you sleep on your side).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I can vouch for the EE quilt . Very light and warm for sure to the rated temp. Learning curve to using a quilt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
couple things on quilts- get them wide, when you roll over at 20 degrees, you don't want to be hit by a blast of cold air where it gaps; there is no hood with a quilt, so insure you have something along the lines of a balaclava, down beanie, etc when temps are going to be freezing and below; when checking out quilts (you have a dozen or so manufacturers making them) compare the amount (and kind) of down fill between similar rated quilts- choose the ones with more fill as they are going to be more accurate for ratings

for an all around quilt- summer through fall (and even into winter)- there is one quilt imo- the thermarest Xtherm- r value of 7.2 for about a pound, nobody else comes close

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the Thermarest XTherm pad, but I’d suggest the MAX.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EE Revelation and Klymet Insulated Static V pad is a great combination.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
+1 on the Thermarest XTherm pad, but I’d suggest the MAX.

Thanks that’s exactly what I got after you guys suggested I really appreciate the help!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a UGQ quilt that I really like. I agree that it helps to get them wide and UGQ makes one wider than others I've seen. I'm a side sleeper and have no problems tucking it all around me. Find out what rating system they use. Many are now using the European system so they can be compared side by side. This system puts on a degree rating that will keep you alive, not warm. You usually have to add 15 to 20 degrees to find out when it will be warm. With the brands that use their own system, it's always a guess.
For a pad, I use an ordinary Klymit light weight air mattress for softness. Then for warmth and comfort with the quilt, I put a piece of ensolite on top of it. A Z pad would be great. Since with a quilt you'll by laying right on the pad, anything inflatable will be clammy feeling. The ensolite weighs almost nothing, it's just a bit bulky and it adds a lot of R's. You can reduce the bulk by cutting it to just fit under your torso.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Keeping an eye on this thread. I stuck my toe in the quilt water this summer. I bought a down blanket for use this summer with an Exped pad. The blanket was still too warm at 50 degrees but got to thinking this might be the way to fly for temps 20 and above. When it starts getting below 20, I tend to submarine into my bag and stay there for the night. I tend to buy a Long bag so I can dissapear.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by bwinters
I tend to submarine into my bag and stay there for the night. I tend to buy a Long bag so I can dissapear.

Yeah that’s what I did w/ that BA 15 I have. Long so I can get lost in it. With a merino beanie and my Klymt pillow I’m set.

Till it hits about 30 apparently; then I feel like I’m in a pressure cooker!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my short experiences this summer, the blanket/quilt idea works way better for regulating temps. I'm still leery of using a quilt when it's cold out. 0 degree air hitting my back in the middle of the night when I move doesnt sound all that inviting.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
In my short experiences this summer, the blanket/quilt idea works way better for regulating temps. I'm still leery of using a quilt when it's cold out. 0 degree air hitting my back in the middle of the night when I move doesnt sound all that inviting.

A wide quilt with straps around the pad works fine for me, even way down into negative F temps.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't do a lot of back pack hunting but did a lot of XC ski camping and had a -30 bag but on warm nights I'd just zip it open and use it as a quilt. I want to do some section hiking as I live close to the CDT and am putting together a 5-6 day trail pack and plan to use a mid temp bag the same way.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have a few quilts, but have really been enjoying the Feathered Friends Flicker series- like a quilt, but also like a bag, pretty nice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've spent too many nights getting back in bed after the 3AM pee and getting the zipper hung up. With a quilt, just get in and tuck it under you. No zipper to fight. Zippers are heavier than you think. They add considerable weight to a light backpacking bag.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I made a similar decision recently…have used a 15 degree down bag for everything for a while, but I seem to sleep warmer as I get older and with two young kids I camp closer to home in warmer temps more often than I used to. In an effort to stop waking up in puddles of my own sweat I ordered a 40 degree EE quilt for warmer nights with the intent to still use the bag when it gets near freezing. So far I’ve had it out for a couple nights in low-mid 60s and it was very happy. Looking forward to trying it closer to its temp rating.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got a $20 down blanket from Costco. It's a bit short but it covers my shoulders ok. I sewed across the bottom and a foot up the open side. I put it inside my quilt when it get colder. It adds about 10 degrees to the warmth. I've been thinking about getting a longer and warmer blanket and doing it the same way. I also added a buckle so I could attach it to the quilt strap to help keep it tucked in.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As much as I don't like big box stores, I've heard a lot of hammock campers talk about their cosco quilts and mods. A lot of bang for the buck. Of course we all know that it's required to keep it dry, but I like mine from another maker. I sleep best with the heat low in my bedroom. The down and feather short quilt and light thin blanket was a good combo for breathability and temp range comfort. That's my winter test of which blanket does well for 20° differential.

Another lightweight warm variable piece of kit I use most for three seasons is less than 2 ounces.
It's a mil surplus (swiss I think) wool neck warmer. It stays on through the days and drapes over the neck or eyes ears through the night. It makes the difference when it is slightly cool.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For you guys switching from a mummy to a quilt, get a war stocking cap that comes down low over your head. It'll make it much easier to keep your head warm. I keep one in the stuff sack.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for an ounce, this is a really warm option for the head when using a quilt

Black Rock Gear down beanie

Last edited by mtwarden; 06/19/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.