jag only shoots cheap whiskey.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mojave Green. Nasty little bastids...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I talked to a man who was bitten by an immature copperhead on a golf course and it killed him, the doctors jump-started him and brought him back from the dead. He said the doctors told him that immature copperheads can't regulate their venom in a bite, you get the full dose as opposed to mature copperheads being able to deliver a 'dry bite' or only some of their available venom.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Very nasty. Wife of a man I knew was killed by one.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by g5m

They seem to be aggressive or really curious they come toward you. I kilt two one morning whilst out busting jacks. Not only do you have to look one ground, you have look in the brush they will crawl up into the brush.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by g5m

They seem to be aggressive or really curious they come toward you. I kilt two one morning whilst out busting jacks. Not only do you have to look one ground, you have look in the brush they will crawl up into the brush.

Very true. Rattlesnakes will crawl up in the sage brush here in s.w. Idaho and be at about thigh level when you pass by. The Mojave Green is a very dangerous and deadly snake. I've killed two of them in Calif. when I lived there. Nasty aggressive critters.

I have a long time friend who grew up in Arkansas. He was hit by a copperhead and almost lost his leg. Still has a limp from the wound of long ago.

I have a friend here in Boise who lost his Brittany spaniel while chukkar hunting to a rattlesnake. Hit the dog right in the throat. Before he could get back to a vet, the dog died.

L.W

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
This is why Jaguar choots Rattlers.

TFF

jag only shoots cheap whiskey.

That comment was the "cheap" shot.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They aren't really a problem around here. We have a few timber rattlers around Lake Geode. Have witnessed a couple big ones. There are a couple caves they winter in.

Before I was married......helped out my future father-in-law at his business, after his back injury. Every random snake alongside the road, we had to stop and do a power stall. Felt kinda bad.

The big black snakes here are no problem. They're pretty passive, eating lots of mice (and maybe a few chicken eggs). You'll see them in the trees, breeding season, wrapped around each other.

We had a regular black in the chicken coop, years ago. Chickens didn't care. Wife put golf balls in a nest....enticing a hen that wanted to sit. Went down to feed the chickens and that black snake ate one of the golf balls. Disappeared after that, hope it survived.

Reaching into a bag of cracked corn with a black snake in it....will wake you up better than 3 cups of espresso. Assume they feed on the mice getting into the corn.

Snakes are OK......excluding African.

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I hate snakes.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by g5m

Very true. Rattlesnakes will crawl up in the sage brush here in s.w. Idaho and be at about thigh level when you pass by. The Mojave Green is a very dangerous and deadly snake. I've killed two of them in Calif. when I lived there. Nasty aggressive critters.

I have a long time friend who grew up in Arkansas. He was hit by a copperhead and almost lost his leg. Still has a limp from the wound of long ago.

I have a friend here in Boise who lost his Brittany spaniel while chukkar hunting to a rattlesnake. Hit the dog right in the throat. Before he could get back to a vet, the dog died.

L.W

I respect their ability to do serous harm.
That's why I used to catch them.
It's better that I put myself at risk, so that others may see them in a safe, controlled environment. Most people don't know what they look like. Around here, the common imature black rat snakes are killed by those who call them copper heads.
What they do is eliminate the prime predator of venomous snakes. They kill what keeps the numbers of rattlesnakes and Copperheads in check, guaranteeing them to flourish.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Catch them often in a minnow trap. They like aquatic environemts too. They end up drowning in those traps. Duh!

Run them over with the tractor quite a bit when I’m out mowing.

I’m always concerned about the dogs, they fight any snake.

I smooshed this one with the front-end loader. 👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fugging can snake. Most deadly...

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by slumlord

Catch them often in a minnow trap. They like aquatic environemts too. They end up drowning in those traps. Duh!

Run them over with the tractor quite a bit when I’m out mowing.

I’m always concerned about the dogs, they fight any snake.

I smooshed this one with the front-end loader. 👍

You carry around a front-end loader? Why not just a gun? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Who's afraid of some little old snake.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That works well for Sidewinders also. Just kick them out of the way.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Tikka has a snake ranch.

Conrad told me about it.

not this Tikka...........

Get them there Gopher (Blow Snakes) around the house occasionally...

Bastards will climb a tree to get a nest of baby birds

That's when I ask them to leave

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I talked to a man who was bitten by an immature copperhead on a golf course and it killed him, the doctors jump-started him and brought him back from the dead. He said the doctors told him that immature copperheads can't regulate their venom in a bite, you get the full dose as opposed to mature copperheads being able to deliver a 'dry bite' or only some of their available venom.

Evidently you are mistaken because...you know....snake bit ain't no big deal.

fuggers, came damn close recently in my own back yard- smallis copperhead. I ran into snakes while hunting and out in the sticks but in my own yard where my grandkids play rattled me. no Pun intended.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Mohave Green does have a quirky disposition and their venom is a combo, including a neurotoxin that is nasty, We have them in this area and I have come across more than a few - and my wife is a lovely person normally unaware of or unconcerned about some dangerous possibilities. So, I try to be doubly aware.

We have a snake or three operating here right now - for which I am thankful - for there have been no mice or pack rats in the traps. But, I have been unable to find a single snake on this place since warmer weather arrived - am strongly hoping we have the gopher or king versions doing the work.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hate snakes.

Me too. Rattlesnakes don’t get a pass here. I kill every one I see. No copperheads at the Ranch. But I’ve killed plenty hunting else where.

Grandadad’s little sister was killed by a rattlesnake when she was only 5. He’d stop the tractor and kill em with a hoe or rock or whatever tool was handy. I prefer a 12 ga.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/09/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
OK, several have hung their pic.

Western rancher had a funtime with me over my fear.... til he spent big bucks & hospital time over a little harmless snake. Ask him if he thought it funny now. Not al all, he said.

Gunzos famous shoot the truck iffin ya have too snake.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.